HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There was definitely a shift in Crosby's game since he lost a step. He leans more on his IQ now but he was flying over the ice in his prime years - I expect the same kind of shift with Mack when that happens. These kind of players are built different.

But Mack doesn't have the IQ to shift on, Crosby always had it. Mack would have to be better than a Mason Mctavish in his prime, that might be quite a physically unfair affair.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You don't put up 140pts by only being a counterattack powerforward. Mack is also 2nd in PP points behind Kucherov, which has not much to do with counterattacking and rush plays.

Not saying he's only that, but he doesn't have the IQ of Crosby or McDavid. Crosby still leads the PP at 38. Makar is the generational player on that squad IQ wise, not Mack.

PP points aren't much of a signal for a player's style, particularly when you have three players in the top 15 in the league on the same PP. Crosby, Malkin, and Letang used to do whatever they wanted, too. That doesn't change what Mack is or isn't. He's the second-best or best player in the league right now. I understand it's hard to admit he'll decline, but it's coming, one cannot stay at this level of fitness forever.

Both McDavid and him lost 1 Olympic window in 2022 when entering their prime and McDavid might have been at the 2018 games as well. ie. he needs to enjoy the 2026 games and be the man there before the very significant crop of sizeable forwards entering their prime (and two generational forwards) come for his job.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There was definitely a shift in Crosby's game since he lost a step. He leans more on his IQ now but he was flying over the ice in his prime years - I expect the same kind of shift with Mack when that happens. These kind of players are built different.
The thing I love about Sid is how much he’s changed and taken his own development seriously throughout his entire career. He could have just coasted on his natural ability but no, he wanted to be his best possible self for the Pens.

People said he whined too much, he started defending himself.

Was criticized for being bad at faceoffs, he became one of the best in the league.

Not a winner, wins the Conn Smythe twice.

Consistently compared to Ovechkin, criticized for the lacked of finishing ability, goes and wins the Rocket Richard trophy.

Not good defensively, becomes a really good two-way forward.

He does all of this and still takes way below market value contracts. It’s really impressive what we’ve been able to witness from him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Are you coming around on Helenius? :naughty:

I've said all along I want to watch him in the U18s cause playing in a pro league at that age doesn't always showcase all the tools in the box. His WJC was pedestrian and not very encouraging but he's a draft eligible so that's not uncommon either.

Now he hasn't faced any of note right now, so I'm taking the production with a grain of salt. Tomorrow's game should be a good test to see what he's actually got. Iginla while flashing hasn't necessary been puck dominant or a true force, so he's definitely left the door open.

Doubtful either of those guys come near Lindstrom, Catton, Demidov or Celebrini for me.. but I know there's a chance the Habs don't like Catton as much as they might like Helenius or Iginla.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've said all along I want to watch him in the U18s cause playing in a pro league at that age doesn't always showcase all the tools in the box. His WJC was pedestrian and not very encouraging but he's a draft eligible so that's not uncommon either.

Now he hasn't faced any of note right now, so I'm taking the production with a grain of salt. Tomorrow's game should be a good test to see what he's actually got. Iginla while flashing hasn't necessary been puck dominant or a true force, so he's definitely left the door open.

Doubtful either of those guys come near Lindstrom, Catton, Demidov or Celebrini for me.. but I know there's a chance the Habs don't like Catton as much as they might like Helenius or Iginla.
They put a lot of stock on the prospect's personality, we know that played a huge factor in picking Slafkovsky over the other options. I expect it's going to be a dividing factor this time as well. If Catton can wow them enough with his drive/desire, that could give him the edge. It might be as simple as that in the end.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The thing I love about Sid is how much he’s changed and taken his own development seriously throughout his entire career. He could have just coasted on his natural ability but no, he wanted to be his best possible self for the Pens.

Was criticized for being bad at faceoffs, he became one of the best in the league.

Consistently compared to Ovechkin, criticized for the lacked of finishing ability, goes and wins the Rocket Richard trophy.

He does all of this and still takes way below market value contracts. It’s really impressive what we’ve been able to witness from him.

I always thought the criticism about his two way game were ridiculous. You don't lead a team to a cup final at 20 with a lackluster two way game. Actually, even at 18 I was floored by his all around game. He's still the smartest player I've watched since Lemieux. Insane hockey IQ.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They put a lot of stock on the prospect's personality, we know that played a huge factor in picking Slafkovsky over the other options. I expect it's going to be a dividing factor this time as well. If Catton can wow them enough with his drive/desire, that could give him the edge. It might be as simple as that in the end.

Yeah, we will know more as we get to the combine. Right now we are all just guessing, this is still only the 3rd draft with this group so we have more info than we have before but we still don't have a clear indication.

All I know is for two years straight, the media and the team were pretty forthcoming with what they are looking to do. Which is why we can be pretty confident they aren't taking a LD unless they slide down the board and get paid handsomely to do so.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Man Connelly is good, shame he's a dirtbag. Martone looks great as well, would love to somehow scoop him next year.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Martone

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No idea how anyone can make an analysis based on such a bad tournament. It's all about how they play. Iginla didn't dominate the way he dominated in juniors, and because he looks only fine right now, it means that it won't be good enough later.

For Eiseman, what this tournament is at least showing is that he's not a one-trick pony. The weaknesses of his opponent is irrelevant in that case. Him scoring is irrelevant as this is what he does, tournament or no tournament. But people wanted to see more of him in different aspects.

Helenius...well his game is skills. And obviously, he'll dance around the weakest of teams. Does that translate later on? Does his game comes with the grit you need in the playoffs etc.

I know I won't change my list based on that. I mean...with so many guys NOT there, still not sure how we can penalize or make guys jump rankings based on that. McKenna was that great before that tournament. Same with Martone. They are just being watched now. But the ones that do that for a living aren't surprised at all.

I refused to get Kotnaniemied.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’ve grown sceptical of high regarded Finland prospect who looks good in U18 and WJC
I think with Helenius it’s a bit different. Puljujarvi was all tools and no toolbox. Helenius is one of the smartest players in the draft.

Kotkaniemi had a toolbox but lacked tools. Helenius has shown he’s a good skater and has a deceptive shot that doesn’t take 17 seconds to get off.

The question is what is Helenius’ true upside. While those Pulju and KK lacked certain things, had they figured it out, they would have had the makings of elite players. Helenius seems to have figured things out, but does he have another level or two?

No idea how anyone can make an analysis based on such a bad tournament. It's all about how they play. Iginla didn't dominate the way he dominated in juniors, and because he looks only fine right now, it means that it won't be good enough later.

For Eiseman, what this tournament is at least showing is that he's not a one-trick pony. The weaknesses of his opponent is irrelevant in that case. Him scoring is irrelevant as this is what he does, tournament or no tournament. But people wanted to see more of him in different aspects.

Helenius...well his game is skills. And obviously, he'll dance around the weakest of teams. Does that translate later on? Does his game comes with the grit you need in the playoffs etc.

I know I won't change my list based on that. I mean...with so many guys NOT there, still not sure how we can penalize or make guys jump rankings based on that. McKenna was that great before that tournament. Same with Martone. They are just being watched now. But the ones that do that for a living aren't surprised at all.

I refused to get Kotnaniemied.
The World’s will be more important for Helenius. It’s the tournament that pushed Slafkovsky ahead of Wright on many lists. If Helenius shows up against men, he might even become the 2nd rated forward.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Majority of teams this year are pretty bad. It should be a cake walk for Canada.

2024 is not a particularly deep draft. It should be OK til end of 2nd round, but it will largely compromise of Canadian players. Sweden, Slovakia, Finland & Czech, it's not a good draft year for them at all.

I would prefer Canadiens get rid of or transfer their lower picks. If we could move up into top 20, and get a higher 2nd round pick, while keeping one of our earlier 3rds, and maybe a 7th. I'm fine with going with only 5 or 6 picks this year.

Reactions: 1909

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Damn, Kazakhstan actually beat the Czechs in OT. 4-3 win.

Norway beating Latvia 3-0. That means Slovakia is very likely playing the relegation game.

To avoid it, they'll have to beat Norway tomorrow by about 5 goals. They'll be tied in all statistics so it'll default to head to head.

Unfortunately, for Kazakhstan, their next game is against Canada, so they're toast. It'll likely be Kazakhstan vs Slovakia for relegation. Slovakia is so bad this year they could definitely be relegated again.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man Connelly is good, shame he's a dirtbag. Martone looks great as well, would love to somehow scoop him next year.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Martone
Ya I have little doubt he's gonna be a player. I won't rank him because ultimately I have no idea of how he is, really, but he'd clearly be top 12 if he was on my list.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Despite how good Crosby has been, he has somehow gotten underrated because the media spends most their time hyping up younger stars (McDavid, Matthews, Bedard etc) or Ovie's chase for the goal record. Having 19 straight PPG seasons over his career and putting up 94 points as a 36 year old is insane.

Assuming he stays healthy, Crosby has a good chance at ending up second all time in points. It is even crazier when you factor in he missed ~150 games of prime years as a 23-25 year old due to injuries and the lockout.

Any relation to William Eklund?

Both are sons of Hockeybuzz Eklund (E2)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad