GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Because they don't ask him to waive. They offer the captain an extension. If he refuses to give us a deep hometown discount, then we go the ask him to waive route.

Sure. League minimum, I would love it and he might even accept it...then the PA gets involved.
Why would the PA get involved? The PA isn’t relying on players to drive up salary - the cap is set every season.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

Talks have occured with Bert. Tre seems to be a fan, and the Leafs front office has had interest in him for years. Don't be surprised if an extension happens sooner than later

If the front office makes any bigger moves that sends out a larger contract the fit becomes easier

Eh. While I think Bert was OK in the playoffs, he really disappointed me. He's also pretty slow and has low IQ. Now, under a new coach and new system he could probably thrive (e.g., Berube's system).

I guess it's like anything - depends how much he wants and how long. I wouldn't mind doing another show me deal. But he probably wants term.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Curious if the Elias Pettersson drama could result in an EP40 for MM16 blockbuster. Just putting that out there and hoping the radio and podcast chatter can piggy back off this.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Why would the PA get involved? The PA isn’t relying on players to drive up salary - the cap is set every season.

They also have a conflict of interest - the PA is supposed to represent all of its members. In a hard cap system, Player X taking $5M instead of $1M is $4M (subject to escrow adjustments) the rest of the PA members can't get. So then pushing Player X to take more $$ doesn't take anything out of the owners pockets, only out of other PA members pockets.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Talks have occured with Bert. Tre seems to be a fan, and the Leafs front office has had interest in him for years. Don't be surprised if an extension happens sooner than later

If the front office makes any bigger moves that sends out a larger contract the fit becomes easier

I'm not going to lie, if he's given a long term contract I'm going to be concerned how it's going to age

He's a tough bugger but his play style isn't conducive to aging well

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
They also have a conflict of interest - the PA is supposed to represent all of its members. In a hard cap system, Player X taking $5M instead of $1M is $4M (subject to escrow adjustments) the rest of the PA members can't get. So then pushing Player X to take more $$ doesn't take anything out of the owners pockets, only out of other PA members pockets.
Exactly - they wouldn't step in if Tavares took a league minimum deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So I've been thinking about some RFAs that might get non-tendered or traded that we might be able to pick up cheap like we did with Benoit last year, or Bunting previously. Some of the players are post-hype prospects, and some are guys that put up solid numbers in the AHL but haven't gotten an opportunity.

I've noticed that a lot of prospects have their breakouts much later on, between the ages 24-27 (i.e., close to the ends of their RFA status). Teams are thus forced to make hard decisions (pay or nay) and sometimes cut loose guys that end up breaking out with their new teams.

Examples:

Benoit (breakout at age 24)
Bunting (breakout at age 26)
Verhaege (breakout at age 25)
Bennett (breakout at age 25)
Forsling (breakout at age 25)
Marchment (breakout at age 26)
Zacha (breakout at age 25)
All these guys were either cut loose, not re-signed, or traded for very little.

Upcoming interesting RFAs that teams are going to make decisions on:

Lucas Carlsson, LD
Joseph Veleno, C
Akil Thomas, RW
Adam Boqvist, RD
Boris Katchouk, LW
Juuso Valimaki, LD
Lias Andersson, C
Kole Lind, RW
Jack McBain, C
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
Phillip Broberg, LD

Broberg Veleno, Boqvist Thomas McBain all interest me to varying degrees

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Curious if the Elias Pettersson drama could result in an EP40 for MM16 blockbuster. Just putting that out there and hoping the radio and podcast chatter can piggy back off this.
Doubt it. The Canucks need to run it back at least 5 more years before the deem EP40 a playoff dud.

Seriously, we'd be in the same pickle if we made such a move although it is intriguing.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Girgensons is apparently going to test market. Im not a big fan of course but I feel like he's been linked to the Leafs for awhile in some way, so I could see the Leafs try to add him if he's cheap enough

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Arthur Kaliyev + Brandt Clarke + Akil Thomas + 2nd
For
Marner (retained through another team) + Liljgren + Robertson + 5th + 7th

Jones + Raddysh
For
Tavares + Jarnkrok + 2nd

Sign Lindholm + Zadorov

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-Lindholm-Kaliyev
Holmberg-Minten-Raddysh
Thomas-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Jones
McCabe-Clarke
Benoit-Zadorov

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
i think a guy like bert getting re-upped could be a part of the solution. I’d like to see Domi back as well. hoping the team explores Tavares, marner, reilly as possible changes.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Zach L'Heureux would probably be an ask from Treliving in any potential Marner deal with Nashville. The guy is the epitome of snot. He was suspended 9 times in 4 seasons in the QMJHL and 2 times in his rookie year in the AHL. He has played in the playoffs twice in his career and has outperformed his regular season P/GP both times. He turned 21 today. He put up 48 points in 66 games in the AHL as a 20 year old rookie this year. He has 6 goals through 6 playoff games in his first pro playoffs.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Saw some chatter on Reddit about Marner to Nashville. I don't think it's a legit rumour, but Nashville seems to make a lot of sense as a Marner destination... One of the common destinations players are willing to waive for (no-tax state, fun city, warm climate, good fanbase but limited media pressure, generally a well run team, etc), and they've never had a 100 point player and only had two guys hit 90 (and they both have only done it once). Marner is in his prime and gives them a great shot at multiple 90+ point seasons and maybe 100+ point season from a player.

Saros is a UFA at the same time as Marner, so you could make various trade scenarios around him with Nashville adding some pieces. Safe to assume Josi/Forsberg aren't moving.

If not Saros, then you're probably looking at a bigger package, but without a particularly big central piece coming back (similar to the PLD trade). They have plenty of picks and prospects they could move.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’m fine with bringing back Bert at a reasonable price and term. Shorter term for me.

His skating won’t age well into his 30’s IMO. But McMann, Knies, and Robertson on the wings deserve more rope. And Greb coming in, Cowan coming up. Lots of youngsters on the wings that I’d like to see reallocate cap to the blue line and a legit top 9 centre.

At the same time, I think we should re-up Domi who seems like he’d take a nice deal to stay.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Juuse Saros + Jeremy Lauzon + Zachary L’Heureux
To Nashville: Mitch Marner

I wouldn’t mind something along those lines. L’Heureux seems like a player you’d love on your team but hate to play against.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Marner is a winger, one year left! He’s not getting three 1st round pick definition or more like eichel whose a Center & didn’t have 1 year left

The Matthew T deal is a rarity which doesn’t happen. Some of you are going to be in for rude awakening
Yeah you

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I always hear the PA pressures players to get as much as they can. I can't confirm this happens, but I have heard it many times. They want star players to make more to drive pressure on the cap. The more teams that are up against the cap I guess the more pressure they can put on the cap formula in the next CBA negotiation?

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I’m fine with bringing back Bert at a reasonable price and term. Shorter term for me.

His skating won’t age well into his 30’s IMO. But McMann, Knies, and Robertson on the wings deserve more rope. And Greb coming in, Cowan coming up. Lots of youngsters on the wings that I’d like to see reallocate cap to the blue line and a legit top 9 centre.

At the same time, I think we should re-up Domi who seems like he’d take a nice deal to stay.
I like what Bert brought to the team, just think he needs to play lower in the lineup. Found this playoffs the play would die a lot on his stick and made a lot more mistake playing against Boston top d-pair.

I wouldn't give both Bert/Domi more then 4 years. I think that's the sweet spot for them both.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Let's say both of these scenarios are on the table for the Leafs after July 1 signing bonuses are paid. Which door would you choose?

Door A

:leafs
Shea Theodore

:vegas
Mitch Marner

Door B

Juuse Saros
Tanner Molendyk
2025 2nd round pick

:nashville
Mitch Marner

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Girgensons is apparently going to test market. Im not a big fan of course but I feel like he's been linked to the Leafs for awhile in some way, so I could see the Leafs try to add him if he's cheap enough
He would be fine on the 4th line. Better be under a million though.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Let's say both of these scenarios are on the table for the Leafs after July 1 signing bonuses are paid. Which door would you choose?

Door A

Shea Theodore

:vegas
Mitch Marner

Door B

Juuse Saros
Tanner Molendyk
2025 2nd round pick

:nashville
Mitch Marner
The NSH trade package still has something to show for it in the event that Saros leaves at the end of his current contract. OTOH, I'd probably feel better about signing Theodore to his next contract. Perhaps trading Marner to NSH leads to a greater probability of him not re-signing there and ultimately being available to return to Toronto as a UFA? :)

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'm not going to lie, if he's given a long term contract I'm going to be concerned how it's going to age

He's a tough bugger but his play style isn't conducive to aging well
I'm lukewarm on bertuzzi, I could be swayed one way or the other. But my God does Bertuzzi's goofy-gangly skating and choppiness remind me of David Clarkson. Like I cannot for the life of me believe my eyes when I watch Bertuzzi skate up and down the ice in the best hockey league in the world.

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad