HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Almost half (9) of Primeau’s 21 starts have been under .900
His stats are excellent vs likes of Ana (1.000), Clb (1.000), Sea (.973) and philly (.967 and .949) but struggles against better clubs.

Would try to get a different goalie to play with Montambeault who would be perfect number 2 at around 40 games.
I’d give him a full year as a backup and 20+ games and see how he does before even trying to make an assessment. He’s come along slowly and hopefully he’ll continue developing. He starting off flying all over the place and has started settling down more. If he can stay “tight” in his crease, I expect he’ll do well. Reminds me of Leoce in his early years when he changed his style under Melanson and was all over the place. Once he kept it tight in his crease he began to dominate

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Almost half (9) of Primeau’s 21 starts have been under .900
His stats are excellent vs likes of Ana (1.000), Clb (1.000), Sea (.973) and philly (.967 and .949) but struggles against better clubs.

Would try to get a different goalie to play with Montambeault who would be perfect number 2 at around 40 games.
I see your point, but I maintain that the priority in the system for now is not a G but talent in top 6. If you have to spend assets, you should focus on that. A full season of Monty and Primeau will tell you if next summer you need to change that priority.

Now... as I said, if Askarov come free (or close to), well you dont pass on the chance to add talent.

Reactions: Colezuki

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I see your point, but I maintain that the priority in the system for now is not a G but talent in top 6. If you have to spend assets, you should focus on that. A full season of Monty and Primeau will tell you if next summer you need to change that priority.

Now... as I said, if Askarov come free (or close to), well you dont pass on the chance to add talent.
Agreed
Top 6 scoring is needed
Watch the pp, proves it

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Imagine having this lineup come October:

Cauf Suz Slaf
Marchessault Stamkos Reinhart
Newhook Dach Toffoli
RHP Monahan Perron
Roy

Get it done Ken!!!
No defense and still spending to the cap.....Hughes plays chess while everyone else plays checkers....:)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’d give him a full year as a backup and 20+ games and see how he does before even trying to make an assessment. He’s come along slowly and hopefully he’ll continue developing. He starting off flying all over the place and has started settling down more. If he can stay “tight” in his crease, I expect he’ll do well. Reminds me of Leoce in his early years when he changed his style under Melanson and was all over the place. Once he kept it tight in his crease he began to dominate
Leoce? We have goalie that name

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Seeing lots of Pospisil talk - haven't seen him play so curious to hear why he's an attractive option.

Hockey DB showing the following so trying to understand the interest, is it because:
* he's Slovakian (Slaf/Mesar chemistry)?
* a Centre (could outplay Dvorak/Evans?
* Size at 6'2 (although 173 lb makes him look pretty light)?
* Rookie Stats (24 pts in his first season is decent)?
* Penalty Minutes (109 PIM's looks like he might be gritty)?
* Age (24 and soon to be 25 seems like he would fit the core but a bit old to be establishing himself)

View attachment 871514
Player that fit our time line and age group, profil, size and play style ideally suited for the bottom 6 but still has some skills. Fact the he is Slovak might be a bonus for Slaf…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would you say if we ended up with two picks from 8-13 range?

1) Trade 5th for something around 8 or 9 and get an extra 1st.

2) Use the extra 1st from option 1, add Jets 1st, and Mesar. Basically 3 1st rounders to get to 13? Does that work?

Possible we get both Catton and Sennecke?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

2) Use the extra 1st from option 1, add Jets 1st, and Mesar. Basically 3 1st rounders to get to 13? Does that work?

Nah, just pick Iginla.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

1- Trade Caufield + Harris to Anaheim for 3OA

2- Trade 5OA and 58OA to Ottawa for 7OA and 26OA

3- Trade 26OA and 27OA to SJ for 14OA

Draft :

3OA - Demidov
7OA - Lindstrom/Iginla
14OA - Sennecke

Win Cup.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Draft :

3OA - Demidov
7OA - Lindstrom/Iginla
14OA - Sennecke

Win Cup.

This would push back Habs window by a few years and it create a high level of uncertainty (can know for sure that any of these guys are gona be better the Caufeild). But the idea is sexy

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Gezz stop with wanted to trade Mesar.

But yeah i would trade back to get a other first pick and trade thoses 2 first for a mid first.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
This would push back Habs window by a few years and it create a high level of uncertainty (can know for sure that any of these guys are gona be better the Caufeild). But the idea is sexy
I know. Was kinda joking about it. But wouldn't be against trading Caufield for Demidov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gezz stop with wanted to trade Mesar.

But yeah i would trade back to get a other first pick and trade thoses 2 first for a mid first.

You're not getting a pick at 12 or 13 with just two late 1st's in this draft. Hence Mesar being part of it. ;). 3 first will make teams think more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Draft :

3OA - Demidov
7OA - Lindstrom/Iginla
14OA - Sennecke

Win Cup.

Don't like the idea of trading Caufield but it does make you think. Wondering about the probability of pulling this off? Would be a major move. Changes our cup strategy window a bit though... pushes it a few years ahead. When I look at when the Avs and Lightning won their cups, most of their core was age 23-30 range.

What this would also do is delay our transition up the standings which means more top 5 or top 10 picks. Those 23 and 24 picks will take a while to reach prime and turn the needle.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
You're not getting a pick at 12 or 13 with just two late 1st's in this draft. Hence Mesar being part of it. ;). 3 first will make teams think more.
Well check this out

MTL : #5 + #70 + #78
for
CGY : #9 + #29 + #41

Then

MTL : #26 + #29 + #41 + Sean Farrell / Riley Kidney
for
Wild : #13

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well check this out

MTL : #5 + #70 + #78
for
CGY : #9 + #29 + #41

Then

MTL : #26 + #29 + #41 + Sean Farrell
for
Wild : #13

Interesting. I'm a big fan of Iggy so not sure. Just a little side angle switch if our scouts feel we hit with both the 9 and 13 picks. If you make a move like this, you better be sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

One thing on my mind is who bust/disappoints in this top 13. Fans have gullible drools every year but every draft, most of them don't turn into what we think they can. Is this draft different? Not sure... it does look good.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I know. Was kinda joking about it. But wouldn't be against trading Caufield for Demidov.
No one is taking caulfeld for demidov.

Good answer. I would do the same. Always curious about other ideas and was wondering what fans thought
From what I read here iginla is a good player and top six material. Not good enough at 5. Take a guaranteed top 2 d man instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad