HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
7 more years at $8.5M. Doubt the Kings will want to retain that long. Nobody is trading for him without retention at this point.

Bad contract for bad contract? Even if we flip Gallagher and one of Dvorak/Armia, we would still be reaching due to the time left with Dubois. We know he is better than what he provided for the Kings this season but I'd let them drown with him at this stage.

I'd be interested but only if they we got at least $2M of retention. Kings won't do that.

People have to consider that they used Dubois on the 3rd line to create 3 good lines but Dubois is not one to lead a line. He's clearly better than what he provided this season and it seemed to have got worse for the Kings/Dubois as the season went along. Bad fit for the Kings who already had center depth.
I think his issues with the Kings vets are weighing heavy on him. LA might just decide to wait until they retire and see where they can go with Dubois, but then again a reputation in a locker room is hard to turn around. It's just perfect timing to get him back with retention on the Kings. Do we want to take that risk?

I'd trade Dvorak and some other pieces for him. Might be enough to convince them to get rid of a problem.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think his issues with the Kings vets are weighing heavy on him. LA might just decide to wait until they retire and see where they can go with Dubois, but then again a reputation in a locker room is hard to turn around. It's just perfect timing to get him back with retention on the Kings. Do we want to take that risk?

I'd trade Dvorak and some other pieces for him. Might be enough to convince them to get rid of a problem.

Possible but retention for 7 years is very risky. They would have to take both Dvorak and Anderson with maybe the Jets 1st. They won't trade him unless it makes sense for them. Would be an embarrassment if you trade that package for him and then trade him for a cap dump a year later.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Possible but retention for 7 years is very risky. They would have to take both Dvorak and Anderson with maybe the Jets 1st. They won't trade him unless it makes sense for them. Would be an embarrassment if you trade that package for him and then trade him for a cap dump a year later.
Dvorak is a UFA, so not really a cap dump. It's a center to replace another one. They will want good futures with him for sure. They could use Armia to replace Iafallo, but we'll need to sacrifice some of our farm.

Might have to trade Struble, cause I don't think Harris is going to please them much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dvorak is a UFA, so not really a cap dump. It's a center to replace another one. They will want good futures with him for sure. They could use Armia to replace Iafallo, but we'll need to sacrifice some of our farm.

Might have to trade Struble, cause I don't think Harris is going to please them much.

Dvorak is not as much as a cap dump as Anderson but you should have gotten the point.

Struble is an interesting one. He's on a steep learning curve and we should be careful with trading him. Might not be a point producer but could end up being a very stable top 4D who is good all around.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Laine would be a good add but he hasn't played a full season since the 18/19 season. If they trade him, they are looking for a NHL body to replace him with futures IMO.

They may be interested in a Anderson with retention/Jets 1st/Harris/Mesar flip. The other angle is Laine's salary over the next 2 seasons... $9.1M x 2 with $2M in signing bonus each season. Might be a push from the owner to unload that in rebuilding years with limited revenue coming in.

Laine has 2 seasons left so not sure this fits. We are looking for better team control that overlaps our contending years. I'd like to add Laine but cost to acquire and term left just doesn't fit our future contending years.
Right, Laine' s injuries, mental health issues, and salary make him easy to acquire. We do not know new GM for CBJ, but we can easily imagine he wants to move on from Laine as a distraction. I would assume Jets 1st is already an overpayment for a player with so many issues.
I am actually not afraid with 2 seasons left and his fit our future. This guy is just 26 and he has mental health issues. If he can be happy and bounce back his career here in MTL, would he look for move after those two years? I do not think so. Will he ask for 8,7M with all the issues he has? I do not think so. Honestly, his situation is very similar to Monahan couple years ago.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Dvorak is not as much as a cap dump as Anderson but you should have gotten the point.

Struble is an interesting one. He's on a steep learning curve and we should be careful with trading him. Might not be a point producer but could end up being a very stable top 4D who is good all around.
That's why he's a good trading piece. You're not going to get much if all you want to trade are the prospects less interesting. They're less interesting to all teams, not just the Habs.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The only way I see LA doing this is if Blake gets fired and a new GM comes in to clean house. If Blake makes such a deal, he may as well start cleaning out his own desk, too.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

Yeah, i don't understand those who throw Struble in the same bunch as Harris, Barron and Kovacevic in terms of trade value.
I thought he looked very solid most of the time.
People seem to forget that this was his rookie pro season.
For me he's a keeper or you'd have to give up a lot to pry him from the Habs.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, i don't understand those who throw Struble in the same bunch as Harris, Barron and Kovacevic in terms of trade value.

If Struble has a good second season for us. His value could ressemble Romanovs when we traded him. Both 2rd pick and both play a similar game. Good defensively , play a physical game and both are limited offensively

Reactions: vokiel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The part that is impressive is how fast he is showing maturity. Don't underestimate that. He's got size, skating, IQ. He's going to be a steady D in the NHL from the track he is on.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
The key thing for me is that we are trying to ADD top6 talent to our team. With all the other proposals (Zegras, Necas...) we need to give up one very good piece of our future (our 1st rd draft pick, Reinbacher, Mailloux). CBJ is looking for some vet forward who can mentor their young players. We do not really have one, but we could do 3way trade, so my expectation is it would really cost us something like Harris/ Struble/ Kovacevic/ 2nd or someone like Dvorak. We have 8,7M in cap to cover Laine salary, so we would not really invest a lot. If he works out, he could be 30+ goals scorer with 6"4" frame.
If Colombus is looking to unload him, i'd consider it but given his personal issues, injury history and contract, i would not give up anything significant for him. Certainly not Struble.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right, Laine' s injuries, mental health issues, and salary make him easy to acquire. We do not know new GM for CBJ, but we can easily imagine he wants to move on from Laine as a distraction. I would assume Jets 1st is already an overpayment for a player with so many issues.
I am actually not afraid with 2 seasons left and his fit our future. This guy is just 26 and he has mental health issues. If he can be happy and bounce back his career here in MTL, would he look for move after those two years? I do not think so. Will he ask for 8,7M with all the issues he has? I do not think so. Honestly, his situation is very similar to Monahan couple years ago.

Very much interested in Laine. Just wondering about the cost to acquire and if we can send someone like Anderson back in the package.

I'd do a Anderson, Jets 1st, and Harris trade for sure. Would that get it done? Not sure. I think if they trade Laine, they are looking for a center.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Struble has a good second season for us. His value could ressemble Romanovs when we traded him. Both 2rd pick and both play a similar game. Good defensively , play a physical game and both are limited offensively
I'd keep Struble. He has an edge to his game that I like. With Hutson, Matheson, Mailloux, and Barron, do we need Struble to be an offensive standout?

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I'd keep Struble. He has an edge to his game that I like. With Hutson, Matheson, Mailloux, and Barron, do we need Struble to be an offensive standout?

Its more having to chose between Xhekaj or Struble for our 3rd pair defenseman. My pick is Xhekaj.

Reactions: DAChampion

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
His situation is also very similar to Drouin's,No Thanks !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its more having to chose between Xhekaj or Struble for our 3rd pair defenseman. My pick is Xhekaj.

We don't have to choose though. We can keep both and decide later on. Of course we would like to add another Dach up front but I don't think we are desperate to do this.

I'd use picks to acquire the players we are targeting at this point. We are loaded on D but not all of them will turn into what we think they will. It's like pitching in baseball, you need more than 5 starters.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
We don't have to choose though. We can keep both and decide later on. Of course we would like to add another Dach up front but I don't think we are desperate to do this.

I'd use picks to acquire the players we are targeting at this point. We are loaded on D but not all of them will turn into what we think they will. It's like pitching in baseball, you need more than 5 starters.

For Struble to have a similar value to Romanov , he needs a good second season. Im not trading him right now, he needs to play more, for us to evaluate him correctly and for him to boost his value. Ill be looking to trade him at the trade deadline or the draft after next season a la Romanov

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Thing is as soon as he's not scoring for 10 games the media will send him straight to the asylum lolll

Sad if you think about it...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine has better pedigree and more size.

He'll never need to tell a reporter to look at the other column.

Agreed. Drouin is a bad example to compare. Laine doesn't lack confidence like Drouin and he is older from the time of the Drouin trade. Laine is not a power forward but he's not soft like Drouin either.

Drouin's best season (pre trade at age 21 ) = 52 pts and 21 goals
vs
Laine best season as of today (age 26) = 70 pts and 44 goals.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
If Colombus is looking to unload him, i'd consider it but given his personal issues, injury history and contract, i would not give up anything significant for him. Certainly not Struble.
Agree, I just put Struble into the list as we have Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj as LHD of the future and I do not want to trade any of them. Anyway, CBJ have solid LHD pipeline with Mateychuk, Svozil and Werenski being just 26.

Very much interested in Laine. Just wondering about the cost to acquire and if we can send someone like Anderson back in the package.

I'd do a Anderson, Jets 1st, and Harris trade for sure. Would that get it done? Not sure. I think if they trade Laine, they are looking for a center.
They will be looking for vet forward, so the discussion might start with Dvorak plus some picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree, I just put Struble into the list as we have Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj as LHD of the future and I do not want to trade any of them. Anyway, CBJ have solid LHD pipeline with Mateychuk, Svozil and Werenski being just 26.

They will be looking for vet forward, so the discussion might start with Dvorak plus some picks.

* Dvorak makes sense. They need center depth. However, it won't be the big piece and more of an add on.
* Anderson with retention is a possible player in the mix. Back with Columbus? Who knows.
* Futures would have to be the Jets 1st and maybe someone like Mesar, Barron, Harris.

Lets assume Anderson is stuck with the Habs due to his horrible season with term left. Harris stays as defensive depth with the Habs.

Dvorak and 3 younger pieces might get it done. Would you do it? Seems to work for the Habs but my gut tells me the Jets are looking for a better piece at center (after Dvorak). I would say Mesar and Barron have solid close to NHL ready value. Jets 1st is back of the bus. This probably gets declined but not sure.

* Dvorak
* Jets 1st
* Mesar and Barron.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
100%. Teams like Florida, Vegas, even Boston follow a model of drafting size and speed
When you go down the EP rabbit hole and seeing players who played with who, you pretty much see a prospect with a top team and they're over 6' almost every time.

Habs need to start getting a prospect pool like that.

If there's an ultra skilled player on the smaller side, don't pass, but you gotta start drafting more size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad