Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Would you agree that it has to be ECF at the bare minimum for anyone to survive?

If the impossible happens and the Leafs come back to get by Bos just to be ousted easily by Florida that can't be enough no?
It is the how they are losing that is the problem. A good showing in round #2 might be enough for all to survive IMO but that would be some kind of turnaround. Sorry, I do not see it with this group.

Reactions: Jojalu

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Saturday's game was easily the worst playoff effort from this era of Leafs. Which in itself is a huge accomplishment given their embarrassing history this past decade.

This team really never ceases to amaze me how f***ing lifeless they can play in key moments.

5-14 record at home during the Sheldon Keefe lead Maple Leafs. Where HE controls the matchups. Where HE sends out his 4th line with 3 minutes left in a 3-1 game. This guy has to be the worst coach in the NHL right? This motherf***er's last 2 assistant coaches that HE has employed to run his PP are Guy Boucher and Manny Malhotra.... 2 individuals that have never set foot on an NHL PP in their entire f***ing lives.

You really can't make this shit up.

Despite all this, the series is still not over. Somehow. And at the end of the day I am completely indifferent to the outcome of tmw's game and even this series as a whole. The team will either pull off the miraculous or be stripped down to parts going forward. Both of which are outcomes I am thrilled with.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Would you agree that it has to be ECF at the bare minimum for anyone to survive?

If the impossible happens and the Leafs come back to get by Bos just to be ousted easily by Florida that can't be enough no?
It's not just the losing, but how you lose too, right?

Part of the reason why so many fans are done with Keefe / this project, is because this series has looked so shockingly similar to so many we've seen in the past - can't score, PP sucks, PK sucks, stars disappear, no significant adjustments, nothing working, etc.

If they did find a magical way to come back and beat Boston (they won't), only to go up against a well rested Florida team and play identical to the way they did last year, then no, that won't be enough to save his job.

I do think there was a scenario on the table where they lost to Boston in R1, and Keefe kept his job, if they went down swinging. The first 2 periods of game 4 will have cost him his job - whatever that lifeless pathetic nonsense was, was the exact opposite of going down swinging.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
It's not just the losing, but how you lose too, right?

Part of the reason why so many fans are done with Keefe / this project, is because this series has looked so shockingly similar to so many we've seen in the past - can't score, PP sucks, PK sucks, stars disappear, no significant adjustments, nothing working, etc.

If they did find a magical way to come back and beat Boston (they won't), only to go up against a well rested Florida team and play identical to the way they did last year, then no, that won't be enough to save his job.

I believe there was a scenario where Keefe could have kept his job, even if they lost to Boston, if they actually went down swinging - those first 2 periods of game 4 will haunt him, and us, for a while. I can't fathom being that lifeless, in front of that supercharged building, in a game of that magnitude.
Bingo.

This is a more gutting loss than last year, and the year before that. We're moving backwards.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There is one thing that is coaching in this, maybe 2...

Seems like a personnel issue, although Keefe gets all the blame.
They keep changing the personnel, the poor decisions and mental lapses remain. Perhaps it was on the previous GM's personnel choices ?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They keep changing the personnel, the poor decisions and mental lapses remain. Perhaps it was on the previous GM's personnel choices ?

Maybe, it seems to be continuing though, so the new GM is having an issue picking players who don't mess up too.

Or, a more likely scenario is that all teams have these mental lapses.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Sure, but the new president can tell Marner we are not planning to re-sign you. You think he won’t waive his NMC?
If it's done properly, yes.

I mean, if Marner or anyone in his family heard that Jay Rosehill rant from yesterday, they would probably say, "That's enough; get me out," anyway.

What I would do is sort 3 or 4 trade options for both Tavares and Marner, and then they can pick which teams they want from there. But I think change is needed so much that I'd buy out Tavares if necessary, even though there's very little cap savings in that move.

Rielly is also another consideration to be moved as well, IMO.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Keith Pelley already saying publically on Bob McCowan he needs 6 months to get comfortable in new gig. Unless the board really wants Shanny out, he likely is staying for one more year which is how long he has left on his contract.

The blame goes to players and Keefe but majority of it lands on Shanny's lap and its evident he needs to be gone

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I mean, if Marner or anyone in his family heard that Jay Rosehill rant from yesterday, they would probably say, "That's enough; get me out," anyway.

What I would do is sort 3 or 4 trade options for both Tavares and Marner, and then they can pick which teams they want from there. But I think change is needed so much that I'd buy out Tavares if necessary, even though there's very little cap savings in that move.

So we are now asking 3 people to waive their NMC, giving them the choice of where to go, and we don't expect to have an issue like Treliving had in Calgary when he traded Tkachuk?

This should be fun.

Also, Rosehill is a nobody to Marner, if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't care what he has to say. He hasn't even seen the playoffs, he knows nothing about them.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

Does Rielly have NMC too?
I also think JT's time is done. They will strip the C off him this off-season so MLSE can make money off a Matthews Captain Jersey

Reactions: ToneDog

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Keith Pelley already saying publically on Bob McCowan he needs 6 months to get comfortable in new gig. Unless the board really wants Shanny out, he likely is staying for one more year which is how long he has left on his contract.

The blame goes to players and Keefe but majority of it lands on Shanny's lap and its evident he needs to be gone
The board are extremely unhappy at the lack of success. Mirtle has spoken about it multiple times now. Wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan gets shitcanned despite Kelley's "schedule"

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
we are now asking 3 people to waive their NMC, giving them the choice of where to go, and we don't expect to have an issue like Treliving had in Calgary when he traded Tkachuk?

This should be fun.
Which issue is this?

Tkachuk and Huberdeau was a contractual issue; this is a team culture and change matter.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
The board are extremely unhappy at the lack of success. Mirtle has spoken about it multiple times now. Wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan gets shitcanned despite Kelley's "schedule"
Good. I hope Mirtle is right. He doubled down on those comments last week on Bunkis. Just let Tre run things for time being

Reactions: Tak7 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

What they should say is Mitch, this is not junior hockey, get your head out of your ass and play like a man and give a shit. Rosehill gave him constructive criticism. Maybe Mitch and Paul should watch the videos.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Which issue is this?

Tkachuk and Huberdeau was a contractual issue; this is a team culture and change matter.

Trading a player because you have to, then making the team a lot worse, and handcuffing them for 8 years.

These are the sorts of things I am worried about when we are forcing a trade, regardless of Treliving, although his trade is the perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad