Pre-Game Talk: Time to Shine - Edm Van tomorrow 8 PM (puck drop at midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
That is the part near the end of the game in crunch time that really was disappointing and somewhat surprising. Our 2 best faceoff guys getting destroyed on crucial draws, with one of them ultimately, indirectly causing the tying goal. I get that you can't win 'em all, but wow, we need better performance than that. As you said, none of the draws were even contested.
This seems to happen a lot, it can cost you genes . Need to be Better there

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The faceoff on the tying goal was tied up but the Canucks got a "winger win" because they had an extra skater. You basically have to win faceoffs clean if it's 6 on 5 because you're outnumbered 4-3 on the dot.

Last edited:

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
They played nearly perfectly in their own end and it still was a close one goal game.
Don't care what anyone says, the Canucks are a great and deep team. Oilers will need three more games as good defensively as their last game or better in order to have a chance to prevail.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They played nearly perfectly in their own end and it still was a close one goal game.
Don't care what anyone says, the Canucks are a great and deep team. Oilers will need three more games as good defensively as their last game or better in order to have a chance to prevail.
Luck, the word is luck. You shoot pucks randomly into feet, 8 times out of 10 they aren't scoring chances.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Describe horrendous.. People tend to see what they want to see.. Nurse managed to play through that whole game without registering a single hit, has been taking stupid penalties , had only 16mins TOi and was a minus 2.

Ceci played over 18mins and was solid aside from normal screw ups. Don't think I'm convincing anyone here that Ceci is alright but last night he was good enough.

Doesn't matter, you ride Pickard til he loses a game.
Nurse wasn't credited for a hit- but he definitely had hits last game. Him and VD were physical.

I would describe him as horrendous as the ice was heavily tilted in Vancouvers favour as seen by his 30% shot share playing against their bottom 2 lines. He could not move the puck out and could not defend the rush as seen by his rush defense metrics. Essentially- Vancouver was a threat to score everytime he was on the ice. He was far from solid. He couldn't even keep his head above water

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean a high number of shots making it through or getting deflected on us is because Darnell Nurse is screening his own goalie and/or having it go off him into the net instead of being more aggressive or letting his goalie see the shot.
AH yes, Nurse scoring on himself more than other players because reasons. I had forgotten.

Again, last game "being close" is a perfect example of the Nucks' season.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
AH yes, Nurse scoring on himself more than other players because reasons. I had forgotten.

Again, last game "being close" is a perfect example of the Nucks' season.
I'm not disagreeing that the nucks have had horseshoes up their collective behinds all year, and last game was just the latest example in a long line.

I'm just sick of Nurse's bad reads in these situations time and again.

Vancouver have found a way to get these shots through and we need to be better at not aiding them in that.

Reactions: Dieseloil

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
The Canucks are a weird team that I can't figure out. On paper their roster is really good but they have an insanely lucky shooting percentage. I've never seen anything like it and I have no clue how they manage to do it.

They also seem to get away with wins or keeping things close even when they lose. They win without doing much most of the time. It's kinda bizarre. They are very good defensively though, I will give them that. Plus they can draft goalies.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Think we need to go with Pickard again given our last win. Both Pickard and the team found confidence in his play and look ready to go forward.
wonder if we do the 11-7 this game? Seems that Ekholm has been banged up and may be helpful having Broberg available if needed.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Think we need to go with Pickard again given our last win. Both Pickard and the team found confidence in his play and look ready to go forward.
wonder if we do the 11-7 this game? Seems that Ekholm has been banged up and may be helpful having Broberg available if needed.
11-7 is the way to go. Broberg would help take some mins off the guys especially for the guys playing hurt and playoffs experience would go a long way for him.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Godamn Cucks seem to get the bounced in goals, dump it into a scrum and it bounces in type goals. We hit posts on clean shots. Boosh’s OT goal notwithstanding. Here’s hoping we get a couple of those moving forward.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Luck, the word is luck. You shoot pucks randomly into feet, 8 times out of 10 they aren't scoring chances.
I didn't like the Desharnais shot block attempt on Boeser for the Joshua deflection goal that tied up the game. The block attempt didn't impede Boeser at all. Desharnais took himself out of the play.

For once Nurse wasn't screening the goaltender but he was on the wrong side of the play, TWO Canucks were standing right in front of the net... Nurse needs to battle to get better positioning. Boeser shouldn't have had those targets.

WTF was Nurse doing on the far post, what was he accomplishing there? You never see that.

That was a freebie for the Canucks.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What are you disagreeing with?

For clarity: my argument is not "don't block shots", my argument is "don't block shots like Nurse".
There have been way too many goals scored on us going off of our Dmen the past couple yrs with Nurse leading the way. There is something that we do that differs from all other teams (minus Cole)

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I didn't like the Desharnais shot block attempt on Boeser for the Joshua deflection goal that tied up the game. The block attempt didn't impede Boeser at all. Desharnais took himself out of the play.

For once Nurse wasn't screening the goaltender but he was on the wrong side of the play, TWO Canucks were standing right in front of the net... Nurse needs to battle to get better positioning. Boeser shouldn't have had those targets.

WTF was Nurse doing on the far post, what was he accomplishing there? You never see that.

That was a freebie for the Canucks.
It's a fast game... VD would be getting all the praises had he blocked that pass and killed that play. Nurse could've been in perfect spot had the puck deflected differently.. he was in front of the 2 forwards on the first goal against which seemed wrong and was behind the two nick forwards in 2nd goal which also seemed wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad