Pre-Game Talk: Time to Shine - Edm Van tomorrow 8 PM (puck drop at midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Watch we will get Kozari and Rooney for game 5

I don't know if there is much I want more than Kelly Sutherland being assigned to Game 5. Not because I think he would necessarily help us (he's a terrible ref in any direction), but because of the melt down that would ensue in Vancouver in response to it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Nurse took a dumb penalty and basically scored on our own net. Even on the 2nd VAN goal it could've been off his foot again if it wasn't for another leg.

Nurse played 3rd pairing mins and was still -2. Ceci got walked around once but wasn't too bad otherwise.

Kulak for me was the 3rd best Dman last night for Ekholm-Bouchard
Man oh man, we must have been watching different games. Ceci was the worst defenseman for either team in my eyes.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse took a dumb penalty and basically scored on our own net. Even on the 2nd VAN goal it could've been off his foot again if it wasn't for another leg.

Nurse played 3rd pairing mins and was still -2. Ceci got walked around once but wasn't too bad otherwise.

Kulak for me was the 3rd best Dman last night for Ekholm-Bouchard
Ceci was exponentially worse than every other Oilers D man last night.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Only a fanbase like the nucks would buy the "oh we are the underdogs playing on house money" after winning the division.

Yup, their team has home ice advantage and won the division. They were also crowing about sweeping the season series.

Special kind of self deception to claim underdog status.

I imagine the pressure has shifted back to the Canucks, particularly after they would have felt great about tying it up and their chances of winning after an energizing intermission, only to lose it in the final minute right after

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Ceci wasn't worse than Nurse last night. He wasn't perfect but got the job done.. willing to bet that Desharnais gets scratched before Ceci.
What???!!! Ceci was horrendous and way worse than Nurse

And wasn't the rumor that we almost played Broberg last night ...bumping Stecher further down the pipeline.
No. There was a potential to go 11-7 because Ekholm wasn’t 100%. Broberg made sense because he plays the left side and could take some of Ekholm’s minutes

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Where did you hear this? I wouldn't mind just about anyone over Ceci right now. This includes Stetcher, Broberg or Kemp. If Broberg ups his game like Holloway has suddenly we are a much better team.
I wouldn’t count on Broberg to suddenly be able to handle the NHL in such crucial games personally. He’d be in there only if there’s numerous injuries.

Stecher has almost 500 NHL gp, was pretty decent as a young Canuck but he’s been on some bad teams since.

I only remember him playing one game for the Oilers this season and he played really solid paired with Nurse. Also being a former Canuck he might be extra motivated.

I would have given Stecher more games near the end of the season, get some level of comfort before you enter the playoffs and it’s easier to throw him into the lineup.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Barrie was as well. I mean entire team seems to be buddies with him.
That Ekholm trade had Brad Holland written all over it. From the trading of a liked player to acquiring an analytically good player. It’s so out of Ken’s repertoire of trades we have seen from him.

I wouldn’t count on Broberg to suddenly be able to handle the NHL in such crucial games personally. He’d be in there only if there’s numerous injuries.

Stecher has almost 500 NHL gp, was pretty decent as a young Canuck but he’s been on some bad teams since.

I only remember him playing one game for the Oilers this season and he played really solid paired with Nurse. Also being a former Canuck he might be extra motivated.

I would have given Stecher more games near the end of the season, get some level of comfort before you enter the playoffs and it’s easier to throw him into the lineup.
Even being on this bad teams- he’s underlying metrics are worlds better than Ceci. The choice of playing Ceci over Stetcher is just purely a loyalty one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That was Ryan on his strong side. Draisaitl lost two face-offs prior on his strong side at left faceoff dot. All three draws were lost cleanly.
That is the part near the end of the game in crunch time that really was disappointing and somewhat surprising. Our 2 best faceoff guys getting destroyed on crucial draws, with one of them ultimately, indirectly causing the tying goal. I get that you can't win 'em all, but wow, we need better performance than that. As you said, none of the draws were even contested.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Can he be much worse than Ceci? Ceci cannot break the puck out to save his life, has no offensive IQ and has terrible reads on his pinches.

Reactions: frag2 and oobga

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Can he be much worse than Ceci? Ceci cannot break the puck out to save his life, has no offensive IQ and has terrible reads on his pinches.
Agreed. I think the logical move is stretcher. I mean the guy isn't big at all but he has amazing passing. Exactly what ceci lacks. The ability to be the puck the hell out of the zone asap and make the Canucks stay in their own end.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What???!!! Ceci was horrendous and way worse than Nurse

No. There was a potential to go 11-7 because Ekholm wasn’t 100%. Broberg made sense because he plays the left side and could take some of Ekholm’s minutes
Describe horrendous.. People tend to see what they want to see.. Nurse managed to play through that whole game without registering a single hit, has been taking stupid penalties , had only 16mins TOi and was a minus 2.

Ceci played over 18mins and was solid aside from normal screw ups. Don't think I'm convincing anyone here that Ceci is alright but last night he was good enough.

What do Skinner starts look like after being benched?
Doesn't matter, you ride Pickard til he loses a game.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So where are we at with Holloway vs Foegele in top 6..
So glad that he was on the ice for the game winner. That reaction.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad