This is one of the best second rounds of all-time

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Interesting that all round 2 matchups will at least be as even as 4-2 in matches !

Maybe all goes to 4-3

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I agree with this sentiment 100%. Feels like upsets can cheat us out of great second round series.

So far this year everything feels like a hit.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
second round has well made up for the terrible first round

Seriously I am loving these series. Im not a fan of the poor commentary though

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I would hope that in a league with 32 teams and parity based on a salary cap that the final 8 teams would make for some good series.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
As good as the 1st rounds were in the 90s and early 2000s, the Finals were almost always awful.
I never really thought of that but it's true. 1994 was an awesome Final but the rest after were pretty snoozey. The Red Wings railroading everyone and the Devils lulling us to sleep made up half of them :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, this second round has been great. For fans of the teams in it, it has been extremely stressful though. The emotional highs and lows are real.

For those saying there is a lack of nastiness I would question if you’ve been watching the Oilers v Canucks series.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Been OK, but we'll see how many game 7's before I call this 2nd rd amazing.
  • Three 1-3 series start (Now 3-2)
  • One 2-2 series start (Now 2-2).
  • But after such a terrible 1st rd mark set: it doesn't take to much to be better.
  • Sure, teams down 1-3 might comeback in series.
  • But.... smart money says each 1-3 series is over (Hope I am wrong here).
  • Good chance after so many such shortened series during 1st rd, NHL/E$PN/TNT want longer 2nd rd series (Lots of money left on-the-table during 1st round, hard financial times matter).
  • NHL did try to extend some of 1st rd series, but teams given series-managing-bone, didn't take full advantage.
  • What we'll see most likely, is game/series managing that can come in many forms.
  • How many penalties are called is only part of that equation. Kicking players out of face-offs, non-calls, technology giving real time data/stats/trends, and you name it will increase/decrease odds concerning wanted results. It's never been easier to manage game/series: Knowledge is power, right?
  • Making $$$$$ for TV, owners, and this helps pay the ever increasing salaries is part of today's game no mater how much we don't like it. Bet coaches/players even game plan for this and adjust accordingly as if this is part of all other X's & O's.
  • Saying all this, it's nice finally seeing some fight in teams. These playoffs have been dirty, but dirty play -vs- Clean intense hockey are two different animals.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
TBH I'm more of a results based fellow.

If the Canes beat the Rangers, I agree. Plan the parade for the 2nd round.

If the Rangers beat the Canes, I disagree. Hockey is terrible, refs are terrible and screw this 2nd round.

The other series range from pretty damn good (VAN/EDM) to excellent (FLA/BOS & DAL/COL).

That is all.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
For a Rangers fan .... Im sure it has been.

Series that start 3-1 or 3-0 are a good bit anti climatic. thats 3 of the 4 series. If those teams go on to win the series 4-2 .. then theres not much drama imo. If 2 of those lopsided starts to series end up going to game 7 .. f*** yeah.

If Rangers, Stars, Panthers advance? meh

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You could make an argument that the 8 teams remaining were probably the best 8 teams in the league this year(I'd personally swap Vancouver with Vegas) so it only makes sense that every series left is going 6/7 games.

The final year of the flat cap, not overly surprising it's the most wide open year we've had in a long time.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Eh, it's better than the 1st and I imagine that's why people think this round is that good because the 1st round was f***ing terrible.

Definitely has some good storylines, but it's not the best in a while. The vast majority of the games I've seen are just prime regular season games, or good playoff games.

Reactions: Oak

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
So many hyperbolic and recency bias ridden takes these past few years lol. Idk something about the years the kings and hawks were trading cups was better for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad