Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't have any other specific examples but in general Charlie is more critical on the PHLY Flyers Podcast than he is on twitter - and he especially has been since the season ended.
Here's the thing...

I would understand if it was just a matter of him wanting to be careful because this is his job and roasting the shit out of the team could cause problems for him. In that scenario, all he'd have to do is say what he can and then shut up and not participate in the arguments/criticisms he sees, while silently agreeing with them.

However, this dipshit goes out of his way to defend things that can't be defended, scold and lecture fans at every possible opportunity, prove he's too biased to have a valid opinion on any topic, and have weekly cry sessions about how " overly negative" fans are.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Here's the thing...

I would understand if it was just a matter of him wanting to be careful because this is his job and roasting the shit out of the team could cause problems for him. In that scenario, all he'd have to do is say what he can and then shut up and not participate in the arguments/criticisms he sees, while silently agreeing with them.

However, this dipshit goes out of his way to defend things that can't be defended, scold and lecture fans at every possible opportunity, prove he's too biased to have a valid opinion on any topic, and have weekly cry sessions about how " overly negative" fans are.

Not disagreeing, and I don't like how he rails against "too online fans" or something similar.

He did admit he was wrong on Cates in one of the podcasts this week.

Reactions: Striiker

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Honestly I think the Flyers fan is pretty unique in this town. The Flyers aren't the Eagles - fans of the Flyers do not watch the rest of the league like a NFL Sunday or quite frankly care as much about the other teams or players like they do with football. It's a super local market driven sport, that is also pretty niche.

We were in a playoff spot for majority of the season, right in the mix, the team passed the eye test most nights - now parlay that with a 12 point improvement...that will have the average fan thinking they exceeded expectations.

This team was at least fun. I like watching TK, Tippett, York, Farabee, Frost, Sanheim. I looked forward to tuning in to see if Foerster, Ersson, and Brink can be dudes. I genuinely enjoyed watching this team - I watched every game this year, I made it a point to DVR and watch the game the next day if I had something going on.

People enjoyed having a decent hockey team - again I want a full on sale and tear down - but it's totally ok that this group resonated with the average fan again and made them proud.

Do I want them to file Torts? Hell yea I do. But it would legit alienate a lot of the people you just got back in the building. I think they miss a lot of context, and that's fine...but I can guarantee you majority of the fanbase has no idea about analytics/underlying numbers or who the 2nd line center for Carolina is.
You are in the lucky or unlucky (depends on the viewpoint) point to have still hope and believe in the ability of the people in charge. Alot of us wanted to believe and have done it for decades and after too many same decisions in the wrong direction with different or all the same people we lost our faith. We mostly can predict what happens next. We also see through the wording of the new orange and so on.

I'am a little jealous of you on one side cause i cant even watch hockey anymore. I switch off the games after minutes or the first Periode.

I cant bring myself watching Seeler as a top 4 dman. I cant bring myself watching Poehling as the 2nd line Center of the team. Iam not even can ENJOY watching Frosty as the 1. Line Center though i love him and believe in him he will never be a 1. Line Center. Its insanity what this team is doing.

I have no Problem with Seeler as the 6th dman with heavy pk usage for 1.5 for 2 years. I have no Problem with Poehling as the 4th line Center and injury callup to other lines occasionally. I would love to have Frost as the 2nd line Center.

But they have no plan and no idea what they are doing. Neither in the present nor in the future!
And iam sure Torts is only a symptome and not the real problem!

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
You are in the lucky or unlucky (depends on the viewpoint) point to have still hope and believe in the ability of the people in charge. Alot of us wanted to believe and have done it for decades and after too many same decisions in the wrong direction with different or all the same people we lost our faith. We mostly can predict what happens next. We also see through the wording of the new orange and so on.

I'am a little jealous of you on one side cause i cant even watch hockey anymore. I switch off the games after minutes or the first Periode.

I cant bring myself watching Seeler as a top 4 dman. I cant bring myself watching Poehling as the 2nd line Center of the team. Iam not even can ENJOY watching Frosty as the 1. Line Center though i love him and believe in him he will never be a 1. Line Center. Its insanity what this team is doing.

I have no Problem with Seeler as the 6th dman with heavy pk usage for 1.5 for 2 years. I have no Problem with Poehling as the 4th line Center and injury callup to other lines occasionally. I would love to have Frost as the 2nd line Center.

But they have no plan and no idea what they are doing. Neither in the present nor in the future!
And iam sure Torts is only a symptome and not the real problem!
I enjoyed watching the team this season- the last 3 seasons were dreadful, didn't enjoy those teams at all. Some weeks I am on the ice 4-5x, playing it/coaching it, - it's probably my one true hobby.

I'm out on Torts - but I'm not as down on Danny as many on this board were - I actually thought him and Jonesy had a decent first year. This might be the biggest offseason in a very long time. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

Reactions: Larry44 and renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not disagreeing, and I don't like how he rails against "too online fans" or something similar.

He did admit he was wrong on Cates in one of the podcasts this week.

Being wrong about Cates is a red flag for someone who is supposed to know sports professionally. It didn't exactly take mental math trigonometry to notice he was producing at a 4th line rate but getting loaded minutes and usage.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Honestly I think the Flyers fan is pretty unique in this town. The Flyers aren't the Eagles - fans of the Flyers do not watch the rest of the league like a NFL Sunday or quite frankly care as much about the other teams or players like they do with football. It's a super local market driven sport, that is also pretty niche.

I think this gets less and less true every year. Yes, the NFL is different. But the NBA and especially MLB have been careening toward the NHL in this respect for a good 20+ years. Sports are regional. The NFL is not. The NBA is not when there's a top 2 all time player on the screen or a once in a lifetime superteam because Steph Curry signed the biggest bargain contract in the history of sports. But other than that, they sell far better internationally than they do as a US national brand.

I would even argue that the NFL's national awareness only extends to fantasy positions and subjects. Less than a tenth of a percent of NFL fans had any concept of how good Dont'a Hightower was and he was the second best player on a dynasty. But they know Wes Welker.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I think this gets less and less true every year. Yes, the NFL is different. But the NBA and especially MLB have been careening toward the NHL in this respect for a good 20+ years. Sports are regional. The NFL is not. The NBA is not when there's a top 2 all time player on the screen or a once in a lifetime superteam because Steph Curry signed the biggest bargain contract in the history of sports. But other than that, they sell far better internationally than they do as a US national brand.

I would even argue that the NFL's national awareness only extends to fantasy positions and subjects. Less than a tenth of a percent of NFL fans had any concept of how good Dont'a Hightower was and he was the second best player on a dynasty. But they know Wes Welker.
But what I’m arguing is that Flyers fans don’t look around the league as much as football fans.

Most football fans will watch the 1pm, 4pm, and the 8pm. College football is humongous - average fans know all the big prospects. Even diehard hockey fans don’t know more than 2-3 guys a draft year. The world juniors aren’t accessible for cord cutters.

National hockey games are not appointment TV.

The NHL has tried for a decade now to find their American version of TNT Thursdays, Hockey Night in Canada, Sunday Night Baseball (dying btw), or SNF/TNF/MNF… we had national games on Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights now i think - honestly it doesn’t hold value.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
But what I’m arguing is that Flyers fans don’t look around the league as much as football fans.

Most football fans will watch the 1pm, 4pm, and the 8pm. College football is humongous - average fans know all the big prospects. Even diehard hockey fans don’t know more than 2-3 guys a draft year. The world juniors aren’t accessible for cord cutters.

National hockey games are not appointment TV.

The NHL has tried for a decade now to find their American version of TNT Thursdays, Hockey Night in Canada, Sunday Night Baseball (dying btw), or SNF/TNF/MNF… we had national games on Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights now i think - honestly it doesn’t hold value.

The part of your post I responded to talked about how the Flyers are unique. I don’t think we have any data whatsoever that backs that up. Sunday Night Baseball is in the gutter, as are national MLB games. The name means functionally nothing anymore. No one knows who drafted MLB players are either. There are sprawling, scathing articles written every year about how MLB is a regional sport now. And they’re right.

I do think you fundamentally misunderstand college football. Average fans read 1st round mock drafts. They don’t know the prospects. They know what people say in bite-sized snippets when they’re in their draft years. They’re not watching Toledo because they want to see Quinyon Mitchell play. They’re certainly not paying attention to even someone like JC Latham unless the broadcast mentions him and that’s a wire to wire top 10 pick playing for Alabama. There’s less CFB and NFL general fan overlap than makes sense on the surface. The exception to this is sadly the FBS Playoffs. Sigh.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The big brands in college football which is probably like 15 teams or so pretty much carry their entire ratings. These teams can play an absolute nobody & still probably get like 2M or more viewers mainly all from that fanbase. Like no neutral observer is watching Ohio State vs. an Akron but Ohio State’s fanbase is so big the game is probably getting 3-4M viewers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The big brands in college football which is probably like 15 teams or so pretty much carry their entire ratings. These teams can play an absolute nobody & still probably get like 2M or more viewers mainly all from that fanbase. Like no neutral observer is watching Ohio State vs. an Akron but Ohio State’s fanbase is so big the game is probably getting 3-4M viewers.

It’s this and people massively underrating just how many CFB teams exist. We’re starting to push 1,000 domestic teams.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s this and people massively underrating just how many CFB teams exist. We’re starting to push 1,000 domestic teams.

I should say last year Deion & Colorado brought in a lot of viewers that had no allegiance to Colorado &/or even college football in general. But that died down after they started losing. So even that spike wasn’t sustainable as once you come to realization they’re not really that good which a good chunk of those people realized there really wasn’t as much reason to watch anymore.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I should say last year Deion & Colorado brought in a lot of viewers that had no allegiance to Colorado &/or even college football in general. But that died down after they started losing. So even that spike wasn’t sustainable as once you come to realization they’re not really that good which a good chunk of those people realized there really wasn’t as much reason to watch anymore.

Hell yes. As you well know, September 2023 Colorado was a legit once in a lifetime occurrence. I don’t like how Deion treats his kids at all, but for a few weeks, he made college football relevant on a national scale in a way that even Nick Saban never really did. Hell, the Shutdown Fullcast is shitposting in its purest form and even they talked about how different that was than every other team in CFB for half an episode. It entered the national discussion for non-political reasons.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
disagree as gambling pushes ratings even for "slop" games

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
The part of your post I responded to talked about how the Flyers are unique. I don’t think we have any data whatsoever that backs that up. Sunday Night Baseball is in the gutter, as are national MLB games. The name means functionally nothing anymore. No one knows who drafted MLB players are either. There are sprawling, scathing articles written every year about how MLB is a regional sport now. And they’re right.

I do think you fundamentally misunderstand college football. Average fans read 1st round mock drafts. They don’t know the prospects. They know what people say in bite-sized snippets when they’re in their draft years. They’re not watching Toledo because they want to see Quinyon Mitchell play. They’re certainly not paying attention to even someone like JC Latham unless the broadcast mentions him and that’s a wire to wire top 10 pick playing for Alabama. There’s less CFB and NFL general fan overlap than makes sense on the surface. The exception to this is sadly the FBS Playoffs. Sigh.
Philadelphia isn’t the biggest college football market you are right, but America loves college football. The draft combine is huge, they talk about it on the radio… no one cares about the NHL combine, the Flyers aren’t even talked on the radio.

People watch, people gamble on it… the numbers are massive.

I bet you more Flyers fan know who Caleb Williams is than Celebrini.

I don’t even know what I’m arguing anymore lmao - I’m exhausted

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The NHL does pretty well in America for a weird, foreign, niche sport played on ice.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I think people thought they were bottom 5ish.

As per interest: Flyers were completely irrelevant 2 years ago. The STHs were pissed, no one was wearing Flyers stuff at the grocery store.

Compare to now, attendance is up, you hear ppl say “hey I turned on the Flyers this year for first time pre COVID.” You see the logo way more than last year at Shoprite. There’s a genuine interest in the team again.
People looking at a wreck on the freeway or going to watch a fire.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

We were in a playoff spot for majority of the season, right in the mix, the team passed the eye test most nights - now parlay that with a 12 point improvement...that will have the average fan thinking they exceeded expectations.

This team was at least fun. I like watching TK, Tippett, York, Farabee, Frost, Sanheim. I looked forward to tuning in to see if Foerster, Ersson, and Brink can be dudes. I genuinely enjoyed watching this team - I watched every game this year, I made it a point to DVR and watch the game the next day if I had something going on.

People enjoyed having a decent hockey team - again I want a full on sale and tear down - but it's totally ok that this group resonated with the average fan again and made them proud.

Do I want them to file Torts? Hell yea I do. But it would legit alienate a lot of the people you just got back in the building. I think they miss a lot of context, and that's fine...but I can guarantee you majority of the fanbase has no idea about analytics/underlying numbers or who the 2nd line center for Carolina is.
Unless you come here, nobody’s fans pay much attention to other teams in the league. Same in any other sport, except the NFL.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad