OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The commentators on TSN just tried to say both these teams in the finals aren't that good of teams but that Messi and Mbappe carried them to the finals. Ok , France won this thing 4 years ago and were even younger back then. Argentina lost in the final in 2014. Both countries are always ranked in the top 10 and higher for the most part. What an idiotic thing to say. I don't think this is the best Argentina squad we have seen over the last 10 years but it doesn't matter. They won and Messi showed up big time in these knockout games and the final. Can't believe people get paid to give such stupid opinions on TV.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The commentators on TSN just tried to say both these teams in the finals aren't that good of teams but that Messi and Mbappe carried them to the finals. Ok , France won this thing 4 years ago and were even younger back then. Argentina lost in the final in 2014. Both countries are always ranked in the top 10 and higher for the most part. What an idiotic thing to say. I don't think this is the best Argentina squad we have seen over the last 10 years but it doesn't matter. They won and Messi showed up big time in these knockout games and the final. Can't believe people get paid to give such stupid opinions on TV.

Canada would have won it all if it wasn't rigged for Messi, obviously.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Insane finish to this World Cup, with legendary performances from both Messi and Mbappe. Couldn't script that better.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I still can’t believe that’s save by Martinez in extra. That has to be the greatest save in history, in any sport, given the circumstances and timing. Incredible.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL this Berthaler-Reyna family bullshit is a reality TV writer's dream

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
A tad off topic but semi Devils related in how much I appreciate them even more right now.

I only support 2 club teams, the Devils and the Red Bulls, the Red Bulls have been the better of the two the past decade, 3 supporters shield wins(equivalent to the presidents trophy) made it to the US open cup final(similar to the fa cup in England or if it was nhl vs ahl vs echl vs other pro league teams in one big tournament)

They always bomb out in the playoffs and had several missed opportunities to win an MLS cup or Open Cup trophy.

We finally get our Devils back to some glory and my Red Bulls went and became a complete embarrassment last week with a racial slur that was said by our newest big name signing in his first actual start of the season. Then the coach doesn't even sub him off. The game was delayed 21 mins because of this.

Our fan base and now team has never been so low. Some fans think it's no big deal because we don't know exactly what was said or if something was lost in translation because the new guy Dante Vanzeir just came over from Belgium.

Personally I have zero tolerance for this stuff, I want Dante and the coach both gone. They embarrassed my team and they don't deserve to be here. The league promotes zero tolerance but gave Dante a 6 game suspension and the coach absolutely nothing.

I am very happy that our 3 supporters groups, I am part of 1, all voted on doing a walkout protest of tonight's game. It's something that has never happened during my time as a fan of this team and I've been a fan for a very long time.

Just a rant but wanted to yap about it. Very happy to have the Devils in the playoffs and even if they let us down vs the Rangers at least we can still be proud of our team and our guys.

Video of the incident and an article about the protest...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ironic moving this post to the soccer thread that the previous post here was about the Vanzier signing :oops:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ironic moving this post to the soccer thread that the previous post here was about the Vanzier signing :oops:

I completely forgot about this thread. Just very grateful for our Devils and I was 1000% wrong to be optimistic about this Red Bulls season. They have been playing extremely poor even prior to this embarrassment.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah this thread isn't as active as it used to be. We even had a big Newcastle fan here a few years back, I'm sure he's thrilled over their progress since new ownership came in. Admittedly I got sucked into following the Wrexham story after seeing the docu-series a few months back, there's definitely something to be said about following a journey up the ladder as opposed to just parachuting in for an established PL team.

I like the Red Bulls and it's a convenient enough stadium to get to, but I'm admittedly more of a casual fan of them a la the Nets in basketball.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah this thread isn't as active as it used to be. We even had a big Newcastle fan here a few years back, I'm sure he's thrilled over their progress since their new ownership came in. Admittedly I got sucked into following the Wrexham story after seeing the docu-series a few months back, there's definitely something to be said about following a journey up the ladder as opposed to just parachuting in for an established PL team.

Newcastle is actually playing a game vs Brighton at Red Bull Arena this year. I'll watch some champions league games so cause they can be entertaining but I don't root for any other soccer teams besides the Red Bulls and team USA.

I've been meaning to watch the Wrexham show, I wish they bought our team. I really want Red Bull to sell and have our team get a rebranding that they deserve. I think it will happen at some point in my life, I just don't know when.

I also started watching Ted Lasso recently and really am enjoying it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah Wrexham has been actually dubbed the real-life Ted Lasso, I get the comparison on the one hand - since there's a real communal atmosphere around the team itself, but of course the owner in Ted Lasso starts out a lot more like Rachel Phelps (from Major League) than Ryan and Rob lol

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad