The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Easy solution: trade for Lindholm's rights and we fly him in and simply just beg him to sign here.
He's a faceoff god but he's also about to be thirty so he'd be looking for his last big contract and I'm not sure we should be the ones to give it to him, even if he would take it (big IF). Doubt we could sign him for less than 7 years and it would turn into an albatross. He's a very good player but it doesn't feel like the right fit.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
As compared to everybody putting it into every deal for every player ever? That’s what I’m talking about. Ryan Strome is not worth 11oa. Anthony Cirelli is not worth 11oa. But here we are, just shoveling that pick into every thought.

Strangely, that was one of the few nuggets of wisdom from Tim Murray: he said if I use all of these pics, how can I sign them all. We already see a guy with a skill set missing from the prospect stable who was pushed down a tier rather than getting opportunity to hone his craft in a better league because they have so many small skill guys.

The writing was on that wall when they used all of those draft picks in the first and second rounds over two seasons.

Or even - shockingly - taking someone who is over 6’ tall.

Most prospects start to devalue the moment pick is made. Part of the value of the selection is that the selector has the option to use it in any of a variety of manners with whoever is still available. It holds even greater value when the outcome is nebulous, when the draft order is as yet unknown, not set in cement as it were. There’s far more possibility of just the pic than the reality of the prospect player.
I literally asked the question once if it would take 11OA to get Strome. I also noted that it might be something else. Hardly worth 5 posts from you accusing me and others of "shoveling" anything.

It was a question, not something I said the team should do -- I guess the answer is no.

I've also seen more complaints about people trading 11OA for Laughton than people actually suggesting this. I don't think anyone actually ever did, yet everyone is till complaining about it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's a faceoff god but he's also about to be thirty so he'd be looking for his last big contract and I'm not sure we should be the ones to give it to him, even if he would take it (big IF). Doubt we could sign him for less than 7 years and it would turn into an albatross. He's a very good player but it doesn't feel like the right fit.
Lindholm is definitely one of the prime "Buyer Beware" UFAs this summer.

I expect him to get a contract that is regrettable multiple years before it expires.

For me, UFA is for cheap depth guys or older guys that will not command long term deals.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Lindholm is definitely one of the prime "Buyer Beware" UFAs this summer.

I expect him to get a contract that is regrettable multiple years before it expires.

For me, UFA is for cheap depth guys or older guys that will not command long term deals.
He's also someone Adams would never sign in a million years, so we don't need to worrry.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Shhhhhhhh. We don't need logical stuff now. Just give me a solid #2 center who can play both ways and score points.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I literally asked the question once if it would take 11OA to get Strome. I also noted that it might be something else. Hardly worth 5 posts from you accusing me and others of "shoveling" anything.

It was a question, not something I said the team should do -- I guess the answer is no.

I've also seen more complaints about people trading 11OA for Laughton than people actually suggesting this. I don't think anyone actually ever did, yet everyone is till complaining about it.

My apologies, it wasn’t an accusation. I see it cropping up on the trade board regularly as well. Just trying to establish what is good value or not and we all may be desperate enough to just apply the same tool to every situation. It wasn’t a shot. Far from it, it was actually more self deprecation on my part.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I Adams went the "don't do a lot" route, he could create that 4th line with size and power somewhat easier than anything else. Re-sign Girgensons, put Greenway on that line, and trade Jokiharju for a center who is capable of 3C minutes but also has size.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think you are underestimating Stephenson's market. Probably will get about 2/3 to 3/4 what Lindholm gets and probably max term (7 years)

The cap going up again is going to grease up the UFA market.
That's very possible. I just think he's a great fit for us as a middle-six C who can slot in anywhere and play both PP and PK. So yeah, in hindsight that does sound pretty expensive.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You vastly underestimate what Stephenson is likely to get.

They project Lindholm to get 7x$8M and Stephenson to get 5x$5.7M.

Eh. I think there are teams out there looking to get aggressive that aren't typically buyers. (Utah, Nashville, etc)

And knowing the cap is going to go up by 15M in the next 3-4 years is going to make teams less worried about long term. I think dumb money season is back on the menu.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
You vastly underestimate what Stephenson is likely to get.

They project Lindholm to get 7x$8M and Stephenson to get 5x$5.7M.

Yes please
Monahan, SeanWPGC, LW, RWLeft301/29/2024UFA3$2,870,514.71
Roy, MattLAKRDRight291/29/2024UFA4$5,582,500.00
Stephenson, ChandlerVGKC, LWLeft301/29/2024UFA5$5,773,217.59
Trenin, YakovCOLLW, CLeft281/29/2024UFA3$3,335,340.91
DeMelo, DylanWPGRDRight311/29/2024UFA4$5,071,354.17

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Which is hilarious seeing as Girgensons, of ANY Sabres player would be someone you would picture on any successful Lindy coached team.
If I had a say in creating this year's bottom 6, the only two guys from the current roster that I would want back are Zemgus and Greenway. I think those expressing their glee at the prospect of Zemgus moving on are angry or disappointed at the wrong guy, for the wrong reasons.

BTW, my bottom 6 includes (the relegated from the top line) Jeff Skinner - who I would buy out tous de suite upon opening of the buyout period.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This feels like worrying about how you will maintain your million dollar house when you currently reside in a cardboard box on Skid Row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad