OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yeah I forgot about Kazee. For some reason I thought they’d moved on from him - so CB is the pressing need in the not-WR area.
I’m feel like they’ll bring Sutton in. Can’t say I’m a fan of it, but I guess I could trust their judgment some. Seems like this Khan FO is targeting character guys.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Take this for what you will but I’m related to someone who works for NC State and a running joke for them is Payton Wilson’s injury history. I honestly didn’t know it was possible for someone to be missing an ACL they said if he got drafted like 20 years ago he would have went first round.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And let's not forget that Skenes is still in AAA.

Not like he could help or anything.

This team exists to line Nuttings pockets and feed the big markets talent.

Zero doubt in my mind Nutting sells in 2029-30 and the city loses the team to a major market.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Take this for what you will but I’m related to someone who works for NC State and a running joke for them is Payton Wilson’s injury history. I honestly didn’t know it was possible for someone to be missing an ACL they said if he got drafted like 20 years ago he would have went first round.
He has been healthy for the last two seasons, right?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
He has been healthy for the last two seasons, right?
Missed two games due to a shoulder injury in 2022 but other than that he's been healthy the past two years. Deep dive on his injury history that might dispel some of Rapoport's comments on draft night. Entrance Physical: LB Payton Wilson

As for how high we had Fautanu on our board...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Missed two games due to a shoulder injury in 2022 but other than that he's been healthy the past two years. Deep dive on his injury history that might dispel some of Rapoport's comments on draft night. Entrance Physical: LB Payton Wilson

Not here it doesn't.

I don't see any reason to doubt Rapoport or the Defensive Assistant talking to Feldman have a reliable source who's seen Wilson's medical record if they haven't got hold of it themselves. I don't know how tightly guarded those are during the draft process but surely the information from it has to be disseminated to the people making the grade at some point at which point it's going to get repeated often.

That also means I'd have expected someone to refute those points if they were full of it - particularly Wilson or the Steelers - and nobody has. I'm guessing all 32 teams have X-Rays and MRI images of Wilson's knee. Anyone could. Nobody has. Wilson could possibly lose money due to this story down the line if it's untrue but hasn't said anything.

And nobody needed Rapoport to tell them the NFL had a ton of teams with giant red flags on Payton Wilson's medical history after a guy with 1st round athleticism, production, and character but double-digit surgeries fell to the 3rd round.

I appreciate the detail she went to and I think there's a case for optimism he's going to have a nice long eight to ten year career fulfilling his potential, but I don't think anyone should be trying to dispel his injury history and I don't think there's a case for doing so. The guy is a big risk for multiple reasons and it should be fine to admit that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This season has me so excited. It's going to be so much fun watching this line grow together. I honestly couldn't ask for a better unit right now. They are going to struggle, but it will be worth it. They should be able to hold their own immediately.

We finally have LB depth. And Queen and WIllis may be two of the faster LBs in the league. Add Kwon to that. These guys can get to the ball. I also want to see Herbig take another step. I think he is a truly special player and probably my favorite on the team right now. He gives me the same feeling as I had when James Harrison was blowing up preseason games. There is something there with him as a Troy type where he is moved around in weird spots that he has to be accounted for. He can cover too...so he's not limited.

I'm still concerned about WR depth. An Aiyuk trade would slot everyone in perfectly. I'm also not so sure they don't try Wilson on the outside. A lot of people have said he will need to play slot...simply not true.

This draft let's us get good value in free agency - aside from a CB2...there isn't anything we really need.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Unless they think they’re going to contend this year, a huge trade for an expensive WR seems like a poor use of draft capital and cap space. There are some good players still available in FA. I think they’re probably 2 years out from being a real contender on paper; the offense needs a year in the new system at least and the OL will need a year+ to really develop and gel.

There’s still the problem of their being a Tomlin coached team. He’s had rosters full of all pros not win shit.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
As someone else already mentioned, don't count out Beanie Bishop making the roster as a slot corner.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Unless they think they’re going to contend this year, a huge trade for an expensive WR seems like a poor use of draft capital and cap space. There are some good players still available in FA. I think they’re probably 2 years out from being a real contender on paper; the offense needs a year in the new system at least and the OL will need a year+ to really develop and gel.

There’s still the problem of their being a Tomlin coached team. He’s had rosters full of all pros not win shit.

Yep.

Going all in with a Tomlin coached team that has Wilson/Fields at QB could set this franchise back years.

They need to take another shot at finding a franchise QB in the very near future.

That will require having extra picks, not giving them away to chase a championship they aren’t capable of winning right now.

Tomlin has been given more than enough to win a playoff game and reset his embarrassing playoff drought.

Cowher won playoff games with the likes of Tomczak and a former retired bust that was selling insurance and came out of retirement.

It’s time, he’s had all of his excuses taken away this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’ve been burned too many times getting really excited for a season so I’m going to go with the wait and see approach. I just have to see how the passing game comes together before I fully buy into anything. The QB room + WR room + Arthur smith passing offense has me pretty skeptical but if it can at least be average, the team should be pretty good.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am more excited for this year than I have been in quite some time.

The quarterback experiment might fail, but I get it and am excited to watch it play out. Many talented new faces and players we are looking to take another step up.

As stated above watching this line, the core of which are all the same age and elite talents, hopefully jell and come together is another thing to watch.

For the first time in years the team feels like an up and coming team rather than an old team going nowhere.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Overall I am, pretty excited by the draft results. I am glad they went tackle first and then figured that Frazier would slide to 51. The stats said that would happen but in the end, it wasn't certain. I didn't look much into Fautanu because there wasn't much talk of him falling to 20. Love that he did though, guy just oozes character and athleticism.

Getting Roman Wilson in the 3rd is a steal. And Payton Wilson is well worth the shot with the late 3rd even if he only plays 3-4 years. Feels like with his athleticism that he may be able to be a big slot corner. And I would love to see them bring back the Fire X blitz again with Wilson and Queen.

I was surprised they went with McCormick in the 4th rather than CB but I am all for taking best player available if they have a high grade. Now they have a young kickass guy that can be the backup for the IOL. Plus it gives them options for next offseason at the OG position. I also think they felt they already have players of equal value on the roster to what they would have picked in the 4th in Rush and Trice.

Logan Lee and Ryan Watts should be at the very least good special teams players. With the new kickoff rules, I think the athletes required are going to be different and I think the Steelers noticed it and have made picks accordingly.

May 2nd, aka Thursday, is the deadline for 5th year options. Steelers have already stated, and rightly so that will not be picking up Fields option. I do think they sign him to a 2 year extension for around 20 mil, 10mil AAV.

For Harris, I'm not sure. His option isn't that much, like 6.79mil. With the cap going to be up another 30mil for the 2025 season, I think that will be the going rate for a starting RB. He has been healthy and willing to play even when he wasn't 100%. I think the team will value that and give him the 5th year. They also didn't draft a RB and Daijin Edwards who they signed as UDFA seems very underwhelming. I'd rather spend the money than the draft capital.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am going to reserve optimism for until I see a QB playing at a high level but I think they did everything they could to help that in this draft bar swinging a bigass trade.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As for the quarterback of the future, it makes sense to see if Fields can find his way here.

Wilson is too old to be the future, but Fields still has a chance of a turnaround. Chicago has been a mess a while, and Fields knows that this likely is his last chance to step up, or not. He and Wilson will have something to prove and a chip on their shoulder. It is on them what they do with it. And the Steelers will benefit by seeing what they can, or cannot, do.

I am fairly certain that is what the Steelers are thinking. And they have said as much.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
that should be as soon as next year. we will need to move up, but most of our holes should be filled so we can move some picks to do it. imo

Have to see how the 2025 class does, but right now it lacks any true star power.

Ewers coming back will be interesting with the Arch Manning storyline.

Reactions: The Old Master

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think I've made my feelings about Fields clear and it's too early to start it again, but I do think that they should be aiming to have a guy on the roster who can be insulation for the new guy whenever he's picked. I don't know whether Fields would be that sort of guy but there's probably worse ideas.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm not following the concern over "going all in" by trading for a receiver. In fairness, I'm working on the assumption that no trade for a WR this season would involve next year's first rounder, and maybe not even second rounder.

Yes there are roster issues, and the QB thing will likely need to be addressed, but I can't envision a scenario in which the team handcuffs it's ability to do that with a move this offseason. If that proves mistaken, then yeah I'm probably concerned.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
As for the quarterback of the future, it makes sense to see if Fields can find his way here.

Wilson is too old to be the future, but Fields still has a chance of a turnaround. Chicago has been a mess a while, and Fields knows that this likely is his last chance to step up, or not. He and Wilson will have something to prove and a chip on their shoulder. It is on them what they do with it. And the Steelers will benefit by seeing what they can, or cannot, do.

I am fairly certain that is what the Steelers are thinking. And they have said as much.

I’m not gonna be fooled into thinking there’s going to be a legitimate competition at the position, but I do hope that somehow Fields forces their hand. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I just don’t see much of a point with Wilson.

Fields either shows you something and can be penciled in for future plans or is as bad as everyone thinks and might get you a high draft pick and no question what you have to do at the position.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not gonna be fooled into thinking there’s going to be a legitimate competition at the position, but I do hope that somehow Fields forces their hand. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I just don’t see much of a point with Wilson.

Fields either shows you something and can be penciled in for future plans or is as bad as everyone thinks and might get you a high draft pick and no question what you have to do at the position.

I know I have posted things contrary to what I'm about to say and will probably do so again but -

It's just so unlikely Tomlin will let that happen. If Fields gets in then its very unlikely he'll stay in unless they're winning somehow and Tomlin generally gets enough wins. Maybe Fields' propensity to turnovers torpedoes that Trubisky style, but again, that gets him yanked.

Reactions: xlm34

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think fields gets specific packages to get him on the field. I’m doubting he just rides the bench entirely all season. It would be foolish to keep him off the field entirely, IMO.
I think that is the plan.

Along with letting his fifth-year option expire and sign him to a more reasonable two-year or three-year contract looking to next year and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad