The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

Paisano*

The one thing that I have not missed in the last few months...

It won't make any difference. If this roster as constructed ends up in the playoffs, there'll still be a mad rush to credit Davidson. And if we see the LA and NYR picks both slot into the top-10, it'll still happen anyway.

So why keep him around? He's JD's puppet now, taking up space getting paid for his opinion. JD will make the decisions, get the credit for success and the scorn for failure.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Both have said they will return. I just hope they stay once they get here for seasons to come.
It'll be interesting for sure. Both played on teams with success(Rags/Flyers) and won't be used to being on the rebuilding team. Both contract ends after this season. Do you think....

A)Both players won't like being on a rebuilding team(and most likely a non playoff team for a couple of years) and they decide to go back home to play for a playoff team instead. Most likely, they'll get just as much money as well.

B)Man up and stick with the rebuild because it's the NHL and not the KHL?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If this roster as constructed ends up in the playoffs, there'll still be a mad rush to credit Davidson.

By whom? That was is so easily dismissed, only the truly moronic would try it. Yes, I'm calling it out early just in case anyone attempts it.

I think your might be on the path to the dark side.. lol

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So why keep him around? He's JD's puppet now, taking up space getting paid for his opinion. JD will make the decisions, get the credit for success and the scorn for failure.

Every General needs someone to carry out his orders. Let's see how well they work together first.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It'll be interesting for sure. Both played on teams with success(Rags/Flyers) and won't be used to being on the rebuilding team. Both contract ends after this season. Do you think....

A)Both players won't like being on a rebuilding team(and most likely a non playoff team for a couple of years) and they decide to go back home to play for a playoff team instead. Most likely, they'll get just as much money as well.

They're both RFAs. I'd expect to see them around here for awhile.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I can't think of a single working relationship in the NHL where the GM can be described as a "puppet" for someone above him outside of the Islanders.

Even then, I think many people don't understand the actual dynamics with regards to an NHL team's front office.

There's plenty of work to be done for an NHL GM besides what JD oversees. There's at the least a lot of minutiae and paperwork. Most NHL teams have a GM with multiple advisors. For instance, the Blues had to let JD go because they were paying too many guys to oversee and advise Armstrong.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The last time the CBJ went the Lone Ranger Route was GMDM....

... and we know how that turned out.

Strength in numbers, as they say.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
The last time the CBJ went the Lone Ranger Route was GMDM....

... and we know how that turned out.

Strength in numbers, as they say.

It could be said that pre Craig Patrick, Howson was going it alone. Unless you consider Priest a great hockey mind. Sure Chris MacFarland was there to bounce things off of!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Both will also probably be playing a lot more with the Jackets than they did with their previous NHL teams.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
source/Link ?

I don't think I saw any tweets I would consider from a credible source, but I have seen the tweets in question.

In other words, I'm waiting until I hear something official but I am fairly confident what I have read is accurate.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Rob Mixer retweeted this "@TheFourthPeriod: Blue Jackets update: G Sergei Bobrovsky has left SKA; D Nikita Nikitin as left Omsk. They're supposed ot fly to Columbus today or tmrw."

Since this was retweeted by Mixer I tend to believe it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Rob Mixer retweeted this "@TheFourthPeriod: Blue Jackets update: G Sergei Bobrovsky has left SKA; D Nikita Nikitin as left Omsk. They're supposed ot fly to Columbus today or tmrw."

Since this was retweeted by Mixer I tend to believe it.

Yeah, I just don't consider @theforthperiod a "credible" resource. At least one I would use as a source beyond rumor.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Yeah, I just don't consider @theforthperiod a "credible" resource. At least one I would use as a source beyond rumor.

To me the fact that an employee of the team retweeted it makes it credible. But no reason to debate this because they will all report and should be here in a couple of days.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
To me the fact that an employee of the team retweeted it makes it credible. But no reason to debate this because they will all report and should be here in a couple of days.

True enough.

No debate, just clarification. Do I trust a Mixer retweet of @theforthperiod? Not really. Would I trust Mixer stating that Howson has confirmed they are in-flight to Columbus? Sure. To be clear, plenty of good people have been pwned on retweets.

As Biz pointed out, most of these guys have been out of the lineup for their perspective teams. I don't expect there to be an issue. At the same time I wouldn't do a "confirmed with link" either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad