The Great Wyatt Kalynuk Appreciation thread (And former Hawks talk vol 8)

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

2019 won’t go past this because it’s still early

And I’m silly for thinking late first round picks won’t make it…….

Cup teams have guys like Hagel making that money. It’s a weird excuse

.......yes. You are. Your own damn post proves as much.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Would hate this guy on the team.

I know Hagel is a good player but just to point out a few things.

I once saw Jason Strudwick get the puck near the left faceoff dot in his zone. Skate up ice around (or through) a few defenders and score what IIRC was a shorthanded goal.

Back 19 years ago when my kid was was trying to get an athletic scholarship. I asked a coach for advice (I’m a DI umpire I see them often). I was told the player should send a handwritten letter, stat sheet and a tape BUT NOT A HIGHLIGHT TAPE.
That every player should be able to fill a 5 minutes tape so they go in the trash. Coach wanted to see field 10 grounders without stopping the tape. 10 fly balls, 10 pop ups, 10 throws. then with live pitching 10 swings, 10 bunts.
Ever since that conversation 19 years ago I’m not impressed with 1 off highlights.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I know Hagel is a good player but just to point out a few things.

I once saw Jason Strudwick get the puck near the left faceoff dot in his zone. Skate up ice around (or through) a few defenders and score what IIRC was a shorthanded goal.

Back 19 years ago when my kid was was trying to get an athletic scholarship. I asked a coach for advice (I’m a DI umpire I see them often). I was told the player should send a handwritten letter, stat sheet and a tape BUT NOT A HIGHLIGHT TAPE.
That every player should be able to fill a 5 minutes tape so they go in the trash. Coach wanted to see field 10 grounders without stopping the tape. 10 fly balls, 10 pop ups, 10 throws. then with live pitching 10 swings, 10 bunts.
Ever since that conversation 19 years ago I’m not impressed with 1 off highlights.
Though I agree, at the same time we as Hawk fans have seen enough of Brendan Hagel that we know what he is capable of (and what he isn't capable of). He is not elite at anything but he is a fast player who works his butt off every shift. As others have mentioned the trade was good for both teams. It is no surprise that he has fit into a talented TB team quite nicely.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
So 30 players out of 120 possible with the drafts I posted. How is me saying most won’t make it false? Idk about you guys but I think 90 is more than 30.
But this proves that there are good players in the late 1st round.

Jordan Eberle and John Carlsson
Marcus Johansson and Kyle Palmieri
Kevin Hayes, Evgeni Kuzenetsov, Charlie Coyle
Phillip Danault and Rickard Rakell
Brady Skjei and Tanner Pearson
Anthony Mantha, Andrei Burakovsky, Shea Theodore, and Ryan Hartman
Nick Schmaltz, Robby Fabbri, and David Pastrnak
Joel Eriksson Ek, Ilya Samsonov, Brock Boeser, Travis Konecny, Jack Roslovic, and Anthony Beauvillier
Tage Thompson
Robert Thomas, Filip Chytil, and Jake Oettinger

...did you think that was supposed to help your case?

30 players out of 120 my statement that most won’t make it is still true. Like I said before most aren’t anything to write home about from your list either.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So 30 players out of 120 possible with the drafts I posted. How is me saying most won’t make it false? Idk about you guys but I think 90 is more than 30.

30 players out of 120 my statement that most won’t make it is still true. Like I said before most aren’t anything to write home about from your list either.
Those are all players that either comparable or better than Hagel.

And the point is that quality is available in that range of the draft. And when you've got Mike Doneghey as the one in charge of identifying that talent, you're in good hands.

Reactions: Space umpire

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Those are all players that either comparable or better than Hagel.

And the point is that quality is available in that range of the draft. And when you've got Mike Doneghey as the one in charge of identifying that talent, you're in good hands.

I remember a time where people paraded around in mark Kelly we trust. Including you. I guess that has changed since the drafting has been terrible and he’s since been let go.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I remember a time where people paraded around in mark Kelly we trust. Including you. I guess that has changed since the drafting has been terrible and he’s since been let go.

Gotta do it man. Otherwise we’re pointlessly keeping Hagel around through a rebuild instead of getting chances in the drafts.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015

Hey, I got this lotto ticket for a million dollar draw. It only has a 25% chance of winning, you want it?

Probably won’t amount to anything, so I don’t need it.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

You’ve gone from saying 1 in 20 will make it, which was obviously wrong, to now saying 1 in 4. You might still be understating it, but let’s use that figure for argument’s sake. Chicago got two first rounders, not one. If the odds are 25% that each one will turn into a good player, that makes the odds of either one of the two turning into a good player at 44%. So Davidson turned Hagel into basically even odds that we’ll be able to replace Hagel with someone as good or better, on a timeline that works better for the rebuild and with a longer horizon to keep the player cost-controlled.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
You’ve gone from saying 1 in 20 will make it, which was obviously wrong, to now saying 1 in 4. You might still be understating it, but let’s use that figure for argument’s sake. Chicago got two first rounders, not one. If the odds are 25% that each one will turn into a good player, that makes the odds of either one of the two turning into a good player at 44%. So Davidson turned Hagel into basically even odds that we’ll be able to replace Hagel with someone as good or better, on a timeline that works better for the rebuild and with a longer horizon to keep the player cost-controlled.

I would not consider an average player a gem and that made my argument look stupid since I used the term loosely and didn’t think how some people would interpret it. My bad.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
For all the bitching I do about Musto’s posts I never recall him being in the pro Kelly camp.
What we do here are called opinions. I call out Musto, Fiddy and BWC (MBM - lol) often because the takes are just … bad.
But
If you have to make something up to make another poster look wrong it’s probably your take that’s off the mark.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You were on board until he picked Reichel over Mercer.
No I jumped ship when he picked Alex Vlasic and Michal Teply.

Reichel over Mercer just further reflected on his incompetence. But that was also on Stanley. Stanley had massive influence on the first round selection and he drafted Reichel because of his obsession with narratives.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Sens fans have made Debrincat their new punching bag and I don’t appreciate it. Trade Ian Mitchell for him if they don’t appreciate him.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Sens fans have made Debrincat their new punching bag and I don’t appreciate it. Trade Ian Mitchell for him if they don’t appreciate him.
Last I checked he only had 6 goals almost 1/3 into the season. I wouldn’t be happy in their shoes either.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Last I checked he only had 6 goals almost 1/3 into the season. I wouldn’t be happy in their shoes either.
After the season he's having away from Kane, idk if anyone would pick up his QO. DeBrincat might end up a UFA this summer. Ottawa might have traded a 7+39 for a 1 year rental. But at the same time, Kane is having a worse season away from DeBrincat too.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
After the season he's having away from Kane, idk if anyone would pick up his QO. DeBrincat might end up a UFA this summer. Ottawa might have traded a 7+39 for a 1 year rental. But at the same time, Kane is having a worse season away from DeBrincat too.
Ottawa has lots of room...it’s not like they signed a couple of players to matching $10.5 million deals...their 27th in payroll right now

Attachments

• D3B0953E-CEE0-4F97-AAB3-6A5516F02866.png
    D3B0953E-CEE0-4F97-AAB3-6A5516F02866.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad