OT: The Football ( real football :P ) Thread

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Reyna

And I'd argue our roster is a bit above Wales, and the game up until the PK was decidedly in our favor. The tie was a letdown all around.
no question that US is wa more talented than Wales, its not even close, they are still young, and their ceiling is rather high, it would help to have a really good coach, but thats a story for another day

Reactions: Pens1566

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
no question that US is wa more talented than Wales, its not even close, they are still young, and their ceiling is rather high, it would help to have a really good coach, but thats a story for another day

Transfermarket is pretty good in the aggregate and they have the US roster at EUR 277M and Wales at EUR 160M.
But also that is with Ramsay and Bale at EUR5M combined when they were once in their prime EUR150M combined. This is based on future value where of course those guys have none although they had by far the greatest careers of the players on the pitch yesterday.

Also @Pens1566 they put Pulisic above Reyna and Aaronson but it is close.

Reactions: vodeni

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There is a whole forum for the WC in soccer... or is this just a small personal penguins fans zone that won't have all the main board posters with their views?
Because we can. And this is the biggest sporting event in the world. Also the most costly one as Qatar spent more money on these games than all World Cups and Olympics combined.

Reactions: LOGiK

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This is the first time ever in my life that I missed watching a game (s) at the World Cup. I just watched bits and pieces of US game, not watching today either. I used to live for this tournament and scheduled my life around it. I even scheduled my shifts going to the front line to watch f***ing 1994 tournament. Yet now the whole f***ing football world looks so awful, from playes, owners, FIFA, etc,...and my standards are pretty darn low...Dunno...I'll probably watch some of it but the magic is gone...and you'all are wrong about Germany...They will win it all unless Messi finally gets lucky and win five 1-0 games...

I was the exact same way starting off in 94. I threw on some of the games and couldn't get into it like I used too. I'll try again but you're right, something is off.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Just finished watching the France Aussie game. After being caught napping on the first goal, the French were pretty clinical the rest of the game. Caught me by surprise considering all their injuries.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Because we can. And this is the biggest sporting event in the world. Also the most costly one as Qatar spent more money on these games than all World Cups and Olympics combined.
I don't see why those corrupt bastards get away with the spending and all that...
I say they should just play each game at the home teams country and city of choice... or capital...
Neutral crowds stink.
The mexico match was fun because the place was full of rabid mexicans cheering like they won the cup hahaha... but it made for atmosphere.
That's the major pull of football for me... atmosphere.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Transfermarket is pretty good in the aggregate and they have the US roster at EUR 277M and Wales at EUR 160M.
But also that is with Ramsay and Bale at EUR5M combined when they were once in their prime EUR150M combined. This is based on future value where of course those guys have none although they had by far the greatest careers of the players on the pitch yesterday.

Also @Pens1566 they put Pulisic above Reyna and Aaronson but it is close.

I think you can argue which one is better TBH. They're different enough that you could prefer one's strengths over the other.

But for me, Pulisic seems limited in that he can only really be effective in a wide role. If he's not going forward, there's nothing else going on. Reyna can play wide and in the middle equally well.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Wow, Japan. I was interested in this one ahead of time due to several things. First, I had Germany as a maybe/probably in the final 4 (whoops). Second, the style differences between the two figured to make for a fun watch.

Group stage has already been pretty awesome.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just finished watching the France Aussie game. After being caught napping on the first goal, the French were pretty clinical the rest of the game. Caught me by surprise considering all their injuries.
France is my pick to win it.
Benzema or not... and other injuries.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Haven't been watching but this Germany game has a lot of parallels with the Argentina one.
Another case of dominating everything but the scoresheet.
RIP my bracket potentially...

I have Argentina winning it all and that looks like a poor choice.
But I feel better if I'm Germany vs Argentina. Japan is always underrated by everyone...they tend to give every team a battle with their disciplined play/structure.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh well! Totally undeserving but Canada should just keep doing what they are doing,
Tremendous spirit from them. I'm blown away, honestly.
This tournament's been harsh on the teams who dictate play. That being said, Canada leave themselves totally exposed with these strats.
De Bruyne had wide open guys a few times that he didn't pick out on the counters.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Tremendous spirit from them. I'm blown away, honestly.
This tournament's been harsh on the teams who dictate play. That being said, Canada leave themselves totally exposed with these strats.
De Bruyne had wide open guys a few times that he didn't pick out on the counters.
yeah Canada's back three is not the greatest, but I really appreciate this coach's tactic, they should have outscored Belgium, and thats the way to continie in the second half

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Belgium looks very beatable. Canada needs to be more opportunistic. I knew that missed penalty would haunt then.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think you can argue which one is better TBH. They're different enough that you could prefer one's strengths over the other.

But for me, Pulisic seems limited in that he can only really be effective in a wide role. If he's not going forward, there's nothing else going on. Reyna can play wide and in the middle equally well.
Pulisic is a great complementary piece when he's on, but he's not a "the guy" type of player who pulls the strings and the offense runs through. It seems like that's what was being asked of him at points and he got caught dawdling with the ball multiple times.

Reyna said he was fit for last game, so who knows. Still though, just throw de la Torre out wide. Anyone but Morris, that was a Bylsmagic type move.

Reactions: Pens1566

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
A bit late, but Ghana was f***ing robbed. That penalty for Ronaldo was baby-shit soft. Just an awful call.

And to make it worse, Qatar just had a similar non-call go against them and it was 5x more of a foul. Should have been a PK and it wasn't.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
US looks much better, England another team with a terrible coach, when you get outcoached by Greg B. that tells you something, he may adjust though and get some real players in the midfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad