OT: The Booze Bin

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Beer talk for the Euros - because I don't think they get the good stuff in N.A.: Try out Faxe and take your time. You're welcome.

With that craft beers, it's improved a lot in recent years. But it still doesn't compare to the local beers like you have in Germany.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't drink a whole lot, age and a long history of alcoholism in the family (not to mention my occasional vulnerability to the Asian Flush) have dampened my enthusiasm for spirits in recent years.

Doesn't mean I don't partake though. The local brew scene here has exploded and there's plenty of great beers and ciders to sample. I've even found a few IPAs that aren't so bad, but sours are the way to go IMO.

As for hard liquor I've had some good scotches and I love a well-mixed dirty vodka martini but can't say I'm a whiskey guy. Tried like hell to be like Don Draper and take down an Old Fashioned but they're just not my thing.

Colorado was blowing up as far as the craft beer scene goes back in like 2007 when I first got there. Manitou Springs, and old Colorado city had lots of beer fests.

I can't remember the radio station, but they partnered with a local brewery to make a pumpkin beer that was out of this world. It ruined me for any other regular production runs of that style of beer lol.

One thing about craft brewing is you may never taste that beer or whatever again. I'm happy in a way they have mass produced some good stuff, like 1554, but yeah, it also sucks when they do it and cheap out turning it into basically nothing but a painful memory lol.

Absolutely respect IPAs, just can't get past the bitter ass after taste.

Also

I love this thread lol

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If anyone likes the flavors and lighter style of an IPA, but doesn't want the after taste. A Saison, or Farm house ale might be worth a try.

"A Saison beer, also known as a Farmhouse Ale, emerged from the small town of Wallonia in the French-speaking area of Belgium. 'Saison', meaning 'season' in French, was originally created as a refreshing drink for farmers during the warm summers."

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's funny that I've posted so many times in this thread yet I only drink on vacation now because of the cancer. *LOL* I guess I miss it, eh?

Just wanted to mention that I would commit questionable acts for a six pack of is Yuengling. I don't think they sell it west of the Mississippi river though. Great lager. I believe it's the oldest operating brewery in the US.

Reactions: Alienblood

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's funny that I've posted so many times in this thread yet I only drink on vacation now because of the cancer. *LOL* I guess I miss it, eh?

Just wanted to mention that I would commit questionable acts for a six pack of is Yuengling. I don't think they sell it west of the Mississippi river though. Great lager. I believe it's the oldest operating brewery in the US.

Is it? I can find it here in Michigan sometimes. That was the best cheap beer I've ever had. That was the go to by the case when I was in NC. It was nice not having to drink coors or budlight. Or there is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Not sure if they even make it in a bottle lmao.

I get drinking shit beer when you're young and poor, but you gotta grow out of it lol. There is just so much more to explore in the world rather than continuing to drink watered down beer.

I'd miss it too, although ironically you'll probably live longer.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
I have been searching for some McKenna 10 year to try but it is not available anywhere around here.

My go to has been Russel's Reserve Single Barrel lately.
I met Fred Minnick shortly after he had given McKenna the I believe double gold at the San Francisco Intl Spirits competition back in like 2019. At that time McKenna was readily available for $30, now it's easily $50+ and a limit of one per customer if you can even find it. Sigh.

• Wow
Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I met Fred Minnick shortly after he had given McKenna the I believe double gold at the San Francisco Intl Spirits competition back in like 2019. At that time McKenna was readily available for $30, now it's easily $50+ and a limit of one per customer if you can even find it. Sigh.

There is a lot of bourbon that's like that. They under estimate how popular it is going to get.

That happened to Angel's Envy Rye. I discovered it in like 2012 at 90$ a bottle and Washington State has a hefty sin tax. So a little inflated there.

It basically disappeared across the nation and when you could find it, it was 200$ a bottle.

It is now back to less than a 100$. So it's gonna take about 10 years for them to keep it at a level you can find it easier lol.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC

That is cool. The entire bourbon/whisky market is nuts for sure.

Just found out I can buy it at PA liquor stores online and ship it to my father. $67 though. Might still try it once. It's been compared a lot to RRSiB.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
That is cool. The entire bourbon/whisky market is nuts for sure.

Just found out I can buy it at PA liquor stores online and ship it to my father. $67 though. Might still try it once. It's been compared a lot to RRSiB.
I worked as the director of sales for a distillery and used to have connections to get the stuff that liquor stores don't put out in the shelves for the average customer. Could buy now "rare" bottles, like Blanton's and EH Taylor at cost, those are perks I very much miss but my liver is probably thankful for the career change.

McKenna is certainly very good, I'd argue even $67 good to at least snag a bottle and try it out.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I worked as the director of sales for a distillery and used to have connections to get the stuff that liquor stores don't put out in the shelves for the average customer. Could buy now "rare" bottles, like Blanton's and EH Taylor at cost, those are perks I very much miss but my liver is probably thankful for the career change.

McKenna is certainly very good, I'd argue even $67 good to at least snag a bottle and try it out.

Oh nice that is a good connection to have. Some EH Taylor would love to try that someday.

Ended up actually grabbing two bottles of the McKenna 10 year so that shipping was free.

• Love
Reactions: Turbonium

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

That's cool, go work for the people that make Pappy. I still haven't tasted it, and I refuse to believe anything is good enough for 100$ for a poor.

I usually order doubles 🤣

I think you guys convinced me though. I'll be trying it.

• Love

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
That's cool, go work for the people that make Pappy. I still haven't tasted it, and I refuse to believe anything is good enough for 100$ for a poor.

I usually order doubles 🤣

I think you guys convinced me though. I'll be trying it.
Pappy is certainly not worth what places charge for it, especially because bars/restaurants buy it from distributors at MSRP which is very low in comparison...a single pour covers their cost and the rest is pure profit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Pappy is certainly not worth what places charge for it, especially because bars/restaurants buy it from distributors at MSRP which is very low in comparison...a single pour covers their cost and the rest is pure profit.

I'm aware

If it was worth 2k a bottle they'd charge that. They have no interest in making it more available. What I wonder is why they keep letting the market suck up that profit instead of themselves. Even to a degree..

Maybe they just like the hype, which pisses me off. Angel's Envy corrected the issue. What's their faces shitty bourbon that owns Pappy now doesn't care about even remotely trying to make it more accessible. It's basically a myth lol.

I've done my best, but I can't get my own bottle without paying 2k for it online lol.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Hendricks is good. Different, but good. Had some of their Lunar last summer, and it was good.

Leopold Bros in Denver makes a good Summer Gin. It is great on its own neat, IMO. I tried to mix it in with some drinks, but the drinks didn't taste right.
I’ve had a few should have been hurt or jailed nights with gin, but I’m still able to drink it. If there’s anything I’ve ever consumed that I should be afraid of it’s Tanqueray. But I like the subtlety of the flavor of gin while still being distinctive. Definitely respect the gin martini, but some gin drinks are fantastic. I’m not a cocktail guy (I will go off at some point about tiki drinks however) but Last Word is a great cocktail featuring gin.

As far as bottles go, I always thought Junipero by Anchor Steam was a solid gin. They definitely do well with spirits.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wrong thread. It's... I'm not drunk.

Actually this thread is probably less active when we are all actually drinking lol. No one talks about alcohol while Actually drunk. That's having a few, or taste testing territory.

Once the candel is lit taste is less important the further you get into it.

Just saying lol

Reactions: UncleRisto

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I'm aware

If it was worth 2k a bottle they'd charge that. They have no interest in making it more available. What I wonder is why they keep letting the market suck up that profit instead of themselves. Even to a degree..

Maybe they just like the hype, which pisses me off. Angel's Envy corrected the issue. What's their faces shitty bourbon that owns Pappy now doesn't care about even remotely trying to make it more accessible. It's basically a myth lol.

I've done my best, but I can't get my own bottle without paying 2k for it online lol.
It didn’t used to be so bad for getting Pappy, but it was always difficult. A friend and I used to play the game and try to chase some down when I lived in LA, but we never got our own. Luckily we had friends who did so we’d get a sip here and there. There’s a bar in Santa Monica, away from the fancy parts, called Daily Pint where I spent nearly every Friday for a handful of years that really has an astounding amount of good whisky, primarily scotch. The owner sold the place not long ago so I’m not sure the deal now, but that’s a good place to try some hard to find whisky.

In Chicago, Delilah’s is a punk/alt country dive that’s always had good whisky and has some crazy connection with Pappy. You can always get it there, lots of options, but it costs you for sure. Great bar though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Actually this thread is probably less active when we are all actually drinking lol. No one talks about alcohol while Actually drunk. That's having a few, or taste testing territory.

Once the candel is lit taste is less important the further you get into it.

Just saying lol
Yeah. It's 7:30 on Wednesday morning.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com

Really? When I was in Cali I always wanted it, and my friend from Philly was like meh, but one SxSW another friend from Philly brought me a bottle and carried it around with her all day before we finally crossed paths and I was underwhelmed. It’s available in my local market and I’ll have it now and again and still don’t really like it.

The beers I miss most are Pliny the Elder and Racer 5. I find Racer around here once in a while but when I find bottles it’s always not fresh and a bouquet of disappointment.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It didn’t used to be so bad for getting Pappy, but it was always difficult. A friend and I used to play the game and try to chase some down when I lived in LA, but we never got our own. Luckily we had friends who did so we’d get a sip here and there. There’s a bar in Santa Monica, away from the fancy parts, called Daily Pint where I spent nearly every Friday for a handful of years that really has an astounding amount of good whisky, primarily scotch. The owner sold the place not long ago so I’m not sure the deal now, but that’s a good place to try some hard to find whisky.

In Chicago, Delilah’s is a punk/alt country dive that’s always had good whisky and has some crazy connection with Pappy. You can always get it there, lots of options, but it costs you for sure. Great bar though.

I can find it at bars, but when Angel's Envy Rye is 40 a poor. Or some of Woodfords high end stuff is reasonable. I can't resist.

Most places that carry it, usually have other stuff half the price I know is amazing.

Someday maybe I'll pull the trigger. Unless you're saying those places actually charge reasonable prices for it?

I'm in Chicago every few years, doesn't seem like it will stop either. Not my favorite place, but I keep meeting women who like it.

Really? When I was in Cali I always wanted it, and my friend from Philly was like meh, but one SxSW another friend from Philly brought me a bottle and carried it around with her all day before we finally crossed paths and I was underwhelmed. It’s available in my local market and I’ll have it now and again and still don’t really like it.

The beers I miss most are Pliny the Elder and Racer 5. I find Racer around here once in a while but when I find bottles it’s always not fresh and a bouquet of disappointment.

It's nothing special unless it's right there next to Bud or Coors on cost. That's what's amazing about it. Cheap but respectable.

Reactions: Gumballhead

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
used to hang there in Fort Collins a lot, good times.

Also yeah, wheat beer (preferably German), bourbon, sometimes scotch is the way

Like a Hefeweizen?

Never have looked up what the real difference is between German wheat beer and stuff like blue moon or shock top. They seem similar.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Like a Hefeweizen?

Never have looked up what the real difference is between German wheat beer and stuff like blue moon or shock top. They seem similar.
for the most part, yeah. Paulaner is probably one of the most recognized, but there's so much out there (do a search for 'best german beers', or something like that).

It's because of centuries old purity laws that determine what/how much of certain ingredients you can use to legally call it 'beer' (no IPAs, hurrah!) Reinheitsgebot - Wikipedia

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad