Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Because 60 Minutes Just Isn't Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sprong had a 3 point game but otherwise was blanked in a 7 game stretch with Sid.

That said, Sid was not playing well through December last season you may recall, and his play definitely picked up when put with the Simon-Sprong combo. Sid had 3 goals and 9 assists in that stretch, although half the points were on the PP.

BUT, he had 6 points in 11 games going into that stretch, and only 2 of those points came at ES.

After Sprong was moved, Sid pretty much kept it up.

That said, I still want to see him with Malkin.

If Sprong is a bust, then he's a bust. BUT, I can't see why an organization should make that declaration without putting Sprong in the one place he's most likely to succeed with the one center with whom he's most naturally and stylistically suited to play.

That said, SHOULD isn't what WILL happen.

I assume there are additional off ice issue with Sprong.

Which given his drop in the draft isn’t surprising.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Sprong had a 3 point game but otherwise was blanked in a 7 game stretch with Sid.

That said, Sid was not playing well through December last season you may recall, and his play definitely picked up when put with the Simon-Sprong combo. Sid had 3 goals and 9 assists in that stretch, although half the points were on the PP.

BUT, he had 6 points in 11 games going into that stretch, and only 2 of those points came at ES.

After Sprong was moved, Sid pretty much kept it up.

That said, I still want to see him with Malkin.

If Sprong is a bust, then he's a bust. BUT, I can't see why an organization should make that declaration without putting Sprong in the one place he's most likely to succeed with the one center with whom he's most naturally and stylistically suited to play.

That said, SHOULD isn't what WILL happen.

And now is the time to try it. I was intrigued by what I saw from Kessel away from Malkin, the slick setup to Crosby for the goal was yum. I want that Crosby-Kessel combo now, if they work it's salivating.

So the time is now, Malkin is in a slump and we are (read should) be looking to swap out one of his current wingers.

I get that H-M-H doesn't hurt you defensively and have good "advanced stats", but it also run the risk of the H-M-K line where Malkin or Kessel does something superstar like only for the puck to disappointingly setup Carl Hagelins stick for a glorious scoring chance. Which at this rate is a pearls to swines situation.

Malkin 15 points 5 on 5, Kessel 13 points 5 on 5. Carl Hagelin 3 points 5 on 5. It's amazing really. How do you not pick up a few freebe points in that situation?

Let Malkin work out of his slump with a new offensive toy and hope for chemistry.

Nag damnit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah I go on Hockey Reference often and saw that number. Not to positive in the goals for @ 0.5 (so 2 ES) but we generally don’t have problems scoring. However we do at stopping them.

He should definitely be playing.

I think we saw in the pre-season he can generate offense when he wants, so I’m not too worried about it. He looks to be playing conservative hockey right now, which makes sense.

Unlike Big O who is generating offense at the cost of his defensive responsibilities.

I’m sure Riikola will start generating a good amount of offense when he feels his spot is more secure.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Given both the astonishingly high save percentage when on ice, and astonishingly low shooting percentage, I can't help but feel ends of the Riikola stat chart are going get a little closer over the season.

I've thought he's been playing a little better, a little more composed recently, but its not showing in his stats where he's still out there for a lot of HDCA and makes a lot of giveaways. One thing he has been doing right though recently is getting those individual scoring chances - he's off the charts in his last 3 games. Very unlucky not to have his first goal.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think we saw in the pre-season he can generate offense when he wants, so I’m not too worried about it. He looks to be playing conservative hockey right now, which makes sense.

Unlike Big O who is generating offense at the cost of his defensive responsibilities.

I’m sure Riikola will start generating a good amount of offense when he feels his spot is more secure.

For sure. He still is adjusting to the NHL but seems like he has a good future. With Schultz out I'm still on the move Maatta train and Riikola is a guy to allow you to do that.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
For sure. He still is adjusting to the NHL but seems like he has a good future. With Schultz out I'm still on the move Maatta train and Riikola is a guy to allow you to do that.
Maatta's game doesn't fit the style of system we want to run. He needs moved sooner or later.

It really sucks that the 2 defensemen we took in that draft never really panned out. Maatta more than Pouliot obviously, but still not to the level we expected.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maatta's game doesn't fit the style of system we want to run. He needs moved sooner or later.

It really sucks that the 2 defensemen we took in that draft never really panned out. Maatta more than Pouliot obviously, but still not to the level we expected.

I'll take the non-pan out of 98 points in 316 games, with 15 points in 43 play off games over two SC winning campaigns, all day every day. He could probably never play another game for us and still be one of our most successful 1st rounders.

I note that Maatta remains on pace for last season's points totals and remains a + player. I'd love to sit down with Sully and hear him talk frankly about what it is that they like about Maatta that most here don't.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'll take the non-pan out of 98 points in 316 games, with 15 points in 43 play off games over two SC winning campaigns, all day every day. He could probably never play another game for us and still be one of our most successful 1st rounders.

I note that Maatta remains on pace for last season's points totals and remains a + player. I'd love to sit down with Sully and hear him talk frankly about what it is that they like about Maatta that most here don't.
He's still not what we thought he would be as well. Plus he's not fitting into the system of a more uptempo style.

I'm not going to forget that he helped us win 2 cups, but I'm also not going to neglect his decline/disappointment either.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Good news is I think Maatta has a proven track record, even if inconsistent, of NHL performance and is signed to a reasonable deal for a 4-5dman. I personally just believe he isn't a good fit on a defense that has Johnson and Big Rig. I don't like playing all 3 of them every night. Not saying they are the same players, but I can't make a pairing of 2 of them together that I like.

I'm intrigued by a Big Rig - Riikola pairing, but that won't happen with Maatta here.

I'd like to see him moved for a better fit on the roster. Maybe package him and Sprong (if you've committed to trading him), for a better Dman or top 6 winger.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I do like Maatta and hes been good here for the most part but his skating is awful and if his brain isn't thinking at a high level he really brings nothing. That's been the case this year. With the guys we have on D here adding one more potential adventure is bad especially at his contract. I'd make a preemptive strike and move him along before it gets more noticeable.

When Schultz returns we could still have a pretty good D line up of

Johnson-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Riikola-Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

We could pick up another steady cheap bottom pair guy too if needed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's still not what we thought he would be as well. Plus he's not fitting into the system of a more uptempo style.

I'm not going to forget that he helped us win 2 cups, but I'm also not going to neglect his decline/disappointment either.

Well no, but 90% of prospects aren't what we thought they'd be. I guess it bites more with Maatta because of that rookie season, but in general, compared to expectations the day after draft I'm betting he's considered a success.

I do like Maatta and hes been good here for the most part but his skating is awful and if his brain isn't thinking at a high level he really brings nothing. That's been the case this year. With the guys we have on D here adding one more potential adventure is bad especially at his contract. I'd make a preemptive strike and move him along before it gets more noticeable.

When Schultz returns we could still have a pretty good D line up of

Johnson-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Riikola-Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

We could pick up another steady cheap bottom pair guy too if needed.

I think its a bit late for hoping people don't notice his potential liability status :laugh:

But even bringing nothing, he has 5 points and a positive GF%. That's impressive. Which is why I'd like to listen to Sully on him, maybe have him show me some video, and get the skinny on him. I know a lot of Pens fans don't rate him and I know why. I know the org does... but don't know why. And I can see some results indicating they're right.

Barring a big valuable trade, you just know we'll be having similar conversations this time next year. Fans have been complaining about his system fit since more or less the first cup, and here we are. What aren't we seeing?

I'd like to see him moved for a better fit on the roster. Maybe package him and Sprong (if you've committed to trading him), for a better Dman or top 6 winger.

I'd love to do a package like that. Shame I can't see any logical targets right now. Maybe Leddy if NYI continue to not get much out of him? (It'd be interesting to see whether Trotz's reaction to such a trade...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Anyone know if Oleksiak will be back in the lineup tomorrow vs Devils? He was a healthy scratch last game. Thanks

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
More praise for De Smith at the moment. Love his game right now. Playing with confidence. He’s stats are pretty amazing too:

6 starts only 1 regulation loss.

SV% .942
GAA 1.89
QS% .833
(quality starts - his SV% over the league average)
RBS none
(really bad starts - under .850 Murray has 4 :()

Very small sample size, but 2nd in the league in save % and 3rd in GAA last time I checked.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Only changes at practice appear to be Riikola benched (now Maatta-Oleksiak) and usual top PP reassembled. No other changes.

#strategery

I think the top pp should be reassembled if only because Geno/Phil/Sid will get annoyed eventually if it's not.

Like against Arizona I recall a shift where Sid's unit went out for what I think was almost a minute thirty. You can't tell me that type of thing wouldn't aggravate Geno/Phil.

Reactions: Andy99

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
@Shady Machine, Sorry shady I can't resist :). So whatcha think about Casey DeSmith now?

top 3 in goals against and save percentage in the league isn't to shabby, I love how he moves around his crease and his athleticism. We really do not know if he can handle a full time starter work load, but I say we find out.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I didn't watch the game but I watched the 3rd period yesterday and I have to agree about Geno. Ridiculous. He looked like he was full blown pouting. It was bad. I'm not going to rip him because we don't know what's going on with him. He could have a problem at home, he could have been sick, or any number of other things. Everyone has bad days at work. That said, he needs to snap out of it and if he was just mad because of his linemates or at the coaches, I'd be irate.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the top pp should be reassembled if only because Geno/Phil/Sid will get annoyed eventually if it's not.

Like against Arizona I recall a shift where Sid's unit went out for what I think was almost a minute thirty. You can't tell me that type of thing wouldn't aggravate Geno/Phil.

What's funny is they started Geno's unit, they generated 2 great chances, including the one where Phil was robbed, were replaced, and never sniffed the ice again while the other unit played perimeter passing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
@Shady Machine, Sorry shady I can't resist :). So whatcha think about Casey DeSmith now?

top 3 in goals against and save percentage in the league isn't to shabby, I love how he moves around his crease and his athleticism. We really do not know if he can handle a full time starter work load, but I say we find out.

Oh yeah I'm totally out to lunch on him. Still waiting for him to start sucking, but so far I look like a moron (happily so!).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I assume there are additional off ice issue with Sprong.

Which given his drop in the draft isn’t surprising.

No, they were rumors. I think we all discussed that to death already.

If there were any actual issues there, he would have spoken out like Ho Sang or have his agent speak out like Yakupov. Absolutely neither has happened, so why do people feel the need to search for issues for someone that has the of literally just being f***ed over by the coaching staff.

Of course, you'll come up with excuses as to why he wasn't when the evidence is over whelming.

In before..."but he was with Crosby last year and in training camp this year!"

Yeah, but he also looked good for a few shifts and was punished for it and also looked good with Malkin and that was never explored further.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If there were any actual issues there, he would have spoken out like Ho Sang or have his agent speak out like Yakupov. Absolutely neither has happened, so why do people feel the need to search for issues for someone that has the of literally just being ****ed over by the coaching staff.

Of course, you'll come up with excuses as to why he wasn't when the evidence is over whelming.

Yeah, but he also looked good for a few shifts and was punished for it and also looked good with Malkin and that was never explored further.

“Punished”

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

If there were any actual issues there, he would have spoken out like Ho Sang or have his agent speak out like Yakupov. Absolutely neither has happened, so why do people feel the need to search for issues for someone that has the of literally just being ****ed over by the coaching staff.

you keep on ignoring the legitimate reasons why he isn't given better chances. I don't agree with them all, but I am at least willing to recognize that they exist.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I didn't watch the game but I watched the 3rd period yesterday and I have to agree about Geno. Ridiculous. He looked like he was full blown pouting. It was bad. I'm not going to rip him because we don't know what's going on with him. He could have a problem at home, he could have been sick, or any number of other things. Everyone has bad days at work. That said, he needs to snap out of it and if he was just mad because of his linemates or at the coaches, I'd be irate.
Don't see such messages on this board when Sid does that :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad