Ten years ago yesterday

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LA was great. But with Price and PK, we had a shot.

Anyways, beating the Bruins was a nice consolation prize.

Reactions: BLONG7

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
fun thread, thx for starting it OP. for me, this time reminds me of starting to date my girlfriend (now wife of 6 years), watching these playoffs with her and her dad (now my FIL) ... oh and he's a Rangers fan ... of course :laugh:
That was a wonderful series with all the trolling Dale Wiese did and Subban's beautiful quote before game 7:

"I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
this quote was incredible, and he backed it up 😤 i also don't understand why it doesn't get more attention.
The Subban goal coming out of the box....damn, what a moment.
my favorite Habs goal, probably. 💛

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
It’s not a popular opinion (I still don’t get it tbh) but getting Thomas Vanek really solidified our offense and he was a big reason for our success during his brief stint with us.

Michou did him dirty by reducing his usage against the Rangers in the ECF. He should have been working with him instead of punishing him.
Damn right. Our very own Bernie from the Sesame Street had only one gear and it was grind. Punish and belittle everyone with an actual talent and pamper your little toy soldiers, Davey Desharnais and Francis Boo-Boo.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The sequence that led to Pacioretty’s 2-0 goal in game 7 was a chef’s kiss. Davey Boy outworked 3 Bruins trying to blow the zone and fed a perfect pass that killed a Let’s Go Bruins chant

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Weise went full on fookin legend.

And after Keider did his thing, Prust almost killed a guy. I will never blame him for that. :laugh:

It did have a special feeling when your depth guys start playing like top 6 guys. Bourque was rolling too.

Briere was older but was still managing to find ways to have his fingerprints all over some big moments, continuing his playoff reputation. He was the guy who set up weise for the game 1 OT winner against tampa. He's also the one who disrupted rask when subban had an ot winner against Boston. He set up wiese again for a tap in for the first goal in Game 7 against Boston and then scored the last goal in the game to put the series to bed. I only mention this because he often gets overlooked during that run.

Reactions: Kimota

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
That team had no shot to win anything , why are we even kidding ourselves , a pathetic hypothetical moral victory of what *could have happened* if Kreider didin't run into Price.

I hate how habs fans cling to that what could have happened post season if Price was healthy stuff. The rags got ran over in the finals , I don't think we would have won a single game.

Subban and Weise heroics against boston were awesome tho.

But don't kid yourselves that team was garbage on paper why is everybody in here lying to themselves for a morale boost. It was a nice run but please spare me the contender talk.

Yeah I'm a debby downer but sorry that team was hot trash with Paciorrety David Deharnais and Pleki as our top 3 forwards lmao. I swear people talk about that team like it was something special.

Just another one of our 10 straight seasons we had where we went into the competition with a bottom 10 roster on paper and the best goalie in the world lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
on that second one I remember a lot of people complaining that his celebration was selfish and I think that's one of the definining moment in my jadedness
His celebration was selfish... :laugh:

Some people just had it out for the guy. He and Price should've been able to win cups together but we just never built around them. PK was absolutely clutch in the playoffs and so was Price. Tragic we weren't able to put it together. They were both absolute gamers.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That team had no shot to win anything , why are we even kidding ourselves , a pathetic hypothetical moral victory of what *could have happened* if Kreider didin't run into Price.

I hate how habs fans cling to that what could have happened post season if Price was healthy stuff. The rags got ran over in the finals , I don't think we would have won a single game.

But don't kid yourselves that team was garbage on paper why is everybody in here lying to themselves for a morale boost. It was a nice run but please spare me the contender talk.

Yeah I'm a debby downer but sorry that team was hot trash with Paciorrety David Deharnais and Pleki as our top 3 forwards lmao. I swear people talk about that team like it was something special.

Just another one of our 10 straight seasons we had where we went into the competition with a bottom 10 roster on paper and the best goalie in the world lol
I will never not believe that we had at least a shot. Yeah the Kings were a better club for sure. But so were TO and Vegas in 21. So was Pittsburgh in 20. Boston was favoured to kill us in 2014 and we kicked their ass.

So no, I will never believe that we had no chance. Even with all our flaws. Even with Therrien being a dumbass. We had two of the best clutch players that we ever had. This was right when Price and PK were peaking. We absolutely had a shot at a cup that year.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I will never not believe that we had at least a shot. Yeah the Kings were a better club for sure. But so were TO and Vegas in 21. So was Pittsburgh in 20. Boston was favoured to kill us in 2014 and we kicked their ass.

So no, I will never believe that we had no chance. Even with all our flaws. Even with Therrien being a dumbass. We had two of the best clutch players that we ever had. This was right when Price and PK were peaking. We absolutely had a shot at a cup that year.

It's the playoffs man "anything can happen" especially in Montreal, there's just some magic that can't be quantified when it comes to this city, it's team and the postseason.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's the playoffs man "anything can happen" especially in Montreal, there's just some magic that can't be quantified when it comes to this city, it's team and the postseason.
Price consistently beat better teams. No, we didn't always win - if we had we'd have won a cup - but neither the Rangers nor the Kings were unbeatable.

I won't sit here and say we would've won. But I will say that we certainly had a legitimate shot.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Price consistently beat better teams. No, we didn't always win - if we had we'd have won a cup - but neither the Rangers nor the Kings were unbeatable.

I won't sit here and say we would've won. But I will say that we certainly had a legitimate shot.
Yeah , I agree with you , I just think the mentality should be to strive for more than *just a shot*. Something I think the current regime is building up much better than the two previous ones no doubt.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah , I agree with you , I just think the mentality should be to strive for more than *just a shot*. Something I think the current regime is building up much better than the two previous ones no doubt.
Oh for sure. We had two killer players and some really good supporting cast members but we badly mismanaged the team and had gaps. We were a flawed team with great players. A lot like the Oilers right now only bizzaro style. :laugh:

You are right, we weren't the favourites. I just would've really liked to have seen what that team would've done. Price was awesome but he got injured at the absolute worst times.

Btw, I hated that Kreider had a good game last night. He can go jump in the lake. I'll never forgive him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
f*** Kreider and f*** MSL too for his OT winner in Game 4

But back to the OP it was awesome beating the Goons, we should maybe have a banner raising ceremony before a game against them to recognize the series win?

:popcorn:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It definitely was not a "garbage" team. Hyperbole aside, I agree the kings were a tough matchup. I would not have expected a series win against them. That's for sure.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The playoffs are fun.

These last few years of shit (and the next few?) better be worth it. I have faith, but you never know with sports.
Injuries are always a wild card. Caufield is a great example as he should’ve killed it this year.

But this team SHOULD be better next year. And I think we’re a playoff team the season after that. There’s so much potential with so many young players, I’m excited.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad