Confirmed with Link: TDA is back, break out the tears 1Yr / 1.6m

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I do understand it.
1) He's a known commodity. He knows the team, the system and the coach and they know him.
2) He can add offense and the Canes are looking for ways to improve their PP.
3) He's cheap depth. He's not good defensively, but he can play up in a pinch. Should be fine on the 3rd pairing.
4) He's cheap and signed for 1 year. That's right up the Borg's MO.
5) It's low risk. If he creates any sort of problem, they'll find a way to move on from him.

Right now, it "seems" perplexing because they already have 7 D NHL men (8 with Coghlan). and 5 of them are top 4 quality. I suspect there will be more moves as one of Skjei or Pesce will likely be traded.
Good points and when I compare this move to re-signing Bear for $2.2M LY this was a much better move. Some "X" angst aside, it appears that teammates like him given his appearance at Pesce's wedding over the weekend.

btw: I suspect TDA has to face the reality that this may be the last chance to rehabilitate his play/reputation given the apparent lack of interest in signing him. That plus having Burns on the squad which assists Rod in keeping him focused will hopefully result in more controlled regular and post seaso.

Last edited:

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
We must have more jerks

I like this move. I never thought we were a real player on EK. That is so not a Borg move. Buying a high dollar, elderly player after a career year is not the way of the Borg. TDA is a known commodity in the locker room. If he was a cancer there, they would know. His play on ice was fine until the playoffs, and then he was trying too hard. This gives them cheap insurance in case they do trade Pesce or Sjkei, which certainly seems likely. Canes desperately need to be better on the PP. He does provide help there.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
We now have what is easily the most intriguing defense in the league.
mostinterestingman.jpg

"I don't always trigger people, but when I do, I play D for the Carolina Hurricanes."

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
We must have more jerks

I like this move. I never thought we were a real player on EK. That is so not a Borg move. Buying a high dollar, elderly player after a career year is not the way of the Borg. TDA is a known commodity in the locker room. If he was a cancer there, they would know. His play on ice was fine until the playoffs, and then he was trying too hard. This gives them cheap insurance in case they do trade Pesce or Sjkei, which certainly seems likely. Canes desperately need to be better on the PP. He does provide help there.

Fine understates his play on the ice. He had 51 points in 64 games and was a +30 and had 20PPP's. He played with Slavin, which rights some wrongs defensively, but he also wasn't being sheltered at all. His puck retrieval and zone exits seemed great. He could get hemmed in along the boards, but I think that's just about every offensive dman.

Now he's going to be playing on the 3rd pair with Chatfield, who really was great in the 2nd half last year, kind of turning into a Pesce-like defenseman.

There's not much to dislike.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on PP1, as he's a lot more mobile than Burns. Let Burns bomb away from the point with the lower skill guys in front on PP2. And get a little more mobility with the Aho/Svech group?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Fine understates his play on the ice. He had 51 points in 64 games and was a +30 and had 20PPP's. He played with Slavin, which rights some wrongs defensively, but he also wasn't being sheltered at all. His puck retrieval and zone exits seemed great. He could get hemmed in along the boards, but I think that's just about every offensive dman.

Now he's going to be playing on the 3rd pair with Chatfield, who really was great in the 2nd half last year, kind of turning into a Pesce-like defenseman.

There's not much to dislike.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on PP1, as he's a lot more mobile than Burns. Let Burns bomb away from the point with the lower skill guys in front on PP2. And get a little more mobility with the Aho/Svech group?
Honestly. depending on what else we do at forward, we really could come out of this summer with a PP1a and PP1b, especially now that we have 2 guys who would conceivably run QB on the first line PP on about any other team in the league in Burns and TDA.

But really, assume we can still go out and bring in a Tarasenko, you could conceivably run....

Aho-Jarvis-Tarasenko-Bunting-TDA
Svech-Necas-KK-Turbo-Burns

That's just stupid

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
what the actual f***. There's this garbage on the TDA thread on the Trade board that I replied to:

Where all I said was that I don't think this is accurate because former players have said he's well liked and that he was just invited to a former teammate's wedding over the weekend. And that its since come out that Georgiev might have been the issue and not TDA.

My reply was deleted, the original comment is still there. What the f***. I didn't violate a goddamn thing when it comes to the community guidelines. Straight up narrative manipulation by the mods.
I think it’s f***ed up that happened but not gonna lie- glad other people are getting to experience the straight-up censorship and uneven “justice” metted out on the main boards.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Given TonyD's reputation, we honestly could have waited to sign him until after a Skjei/Pesce trade was done.

Tony and his agent didn't have to wait around. I find it highly unlikely that ZERO other NHL teams would take a 1 year chance on him, especially knowing that Carolina was willing to trade for him. So while we may have wanted to wait until a trade was done, Tony and his agent probably weren't going to wait around and miss out on a chair if/when the music stopped.
And frankly, the goal right now for this team is to win the Cup. Success in the regular season is great, and it was acceptable to have JUST that for a few years, but we've now reached the point in our build where a Cup needs to happen sooner than later.
I don't see how that is relevant to this deal. He's being brought in a cheap depth, a 3rd pairing guy, who can contribute on the PP.
Tony's last go around in the playoffs with this team was...less than stellar. He put up points, but his hot headedness definitely got him (and the team) in trouble on more than one occasion. Now maybe it'll be easier to deal with as a bottom-pairing D instead of stapled next to Slavin, but we'll have to see.
Tony's last go around was as a top pairing defenseman. I agree with you that if the Canes plan is to have Tony as a top pairing guy, it's not a good plan.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Tony and his agent didn't have to wait around. I find it highly unlikely that ZERO other NHL teams would take a 1 year chance on him, especially knowing that Carolina was willing to trade for him. So while we may have wanted to wait until a trade was done, Tony and his agent probably weren't going to wait around and miss out on a chair if/when the music stopped.

I don't see how that is relevant to this deal. He's being brought in a cheap depth, a 3rd pairing guy, who can contribute on the PP.

Tony's last go around was as a top pairing defenseman. I agree with you that if the Canes plan is to have Tony as a top pairing guy, it's not a good plan.
I think TDA and his agent realize there is value beyond pay in him playing here, especially with how things went in NY and Philly. Not being under the microscope of the sports media 24/7 and being in a legit political battleground state where everyone is used to half the people around them having a different viewpoint absolutely helps him. I would not be surprised if he had multiple options to play in after the Philly buyout, but I would also not be surprised if he only had one or 2 places where he'd legitimately be interested in playing.

I mean his hometown team just cut him. If I were in his shoes I'd absolutely want to go back to a place where things were good 12 months prior and sign a 'f*** you' deal with a chance to win the Cup.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think TDA and his agent realize there is value beyond pay in him playing here, especially with how things went in NY and Philly. Not being under the microscope of the sports media 24/7 and being in a legit political battleground state where everyone is used to half the people around them having a different viewpoint absolutely helps him. I would not be surprised if he had multiple options to play in after the Philly buyout, but I would also not be surprised if he only had one or 2 places where he'd legitimately be interested in playing.

I mean his hometown team just cut him. If I were in his shoes I'd absolutely want to go back to a place where things were good 12 months prior and sign a 'f*** you' deal with a chance to win the Cup.
I think his biggest problem in Philly was Torts. He seems like the worst coach for Tony. Playing again for Rod is probably a bigger deal than where the team is located.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I never thought we were a real player on EK. That is so not a Borg move. Buying a high dollar, elderly player after a career year is not the way of the Borg.

I strongly debate this. First of all, EK isn't really elderly at 33 and he only has 4 seasons remaining. The Canes, just last offseason, acquired 37 year old Brent Burns (an actual fossil by NHL standards) when he still had 3 seasons remaining. The issue is more about cost here: I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh was always willing to give up more because they have bad contracts to dump (Petry and Granlund, mainly). Otherwise, I'd see Carolina as much more competitive in the trade sweepstakes here. The reason why the Canes gave up so little for Burns is because his true league-wide value (because he was such an age-related outlier) was so difficult to evaluate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
On a somewhat related note, I wonder if one of the reasons they signed TDA now is that they’re more confident they’ll be able to consummate at Pesce trade. Perhaps, they are making progress on that front, so they went ahead and pulled the trigger on TDA, regardless of where they were with the Karlsson trade talks.

I hope that’s the case. What I don’t want to see is them going into September with a surplus of defenseman on roster, like they did with Faulk after signing Gardiner. Options are limited now with teams that can take on Pesce’s $4M and with his NTC. Those options will likely be more limited come training camp. The sooner they deal Pesce (or less likely Skjei imho), the better.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The D today:

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield
TDA
Coghlan

The only one I could see the Canes going into the season healthy scratching of that bunch would be Coghlan. So I imagine "standing pat" is not the plan from here. I could be wrong.

Note that Justin Faulk was traded on September 24th. During camp. We may wait awhile for the next domino.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Didn’t they have literally thousands of negativecomments on the thread a few years ago when they first signed him a few years ago? Plus, Civian ran a hit piece on him before the ink was dry in that contract.

If his play this coming season is anywhere close to what it was in 21-22, he’ll be a fan favorite again in no time.

I think Sara Civian needs to double down and do some hard-hitting investigative journalisms on where precisely TDA was on Jan 6. And also this Lemieux character while she's at it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The D today:

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield
TDA
Coghlan

The only one I could see the Canes going into the season healthy scratching of that bunch would be Coghlan. So I imagine "standing pat" is not the plan from here. I could be wrong.

Note that Justin Faulk was traded on September 24th. During camp. We may wait awhile for the next domino.
I agree another move is likely, but watch the Borg say "f*** it, we'll show the league that defense can win championships."

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I will again point out that Chatfield is not a young player with control anymore. He’s a prime aged player set to hit unrestricted free agency next Summer. His future with the club is thus a question mark. Clearing space to keep him content may not be an organizational concern.

Look at the approach with van Riemsdyk. He was an established bottom pairing D on a good team at a similar point contractually. Yet, in his last season, he was rotating in and out of a healthy lineup.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
On a somewhat related note, I wonder if one of the reasons they signed TDA now is that they’re more confident they’ll be able to consummate at Pesce trade. Perhaps, they are making progress on that front, so they went ahead and pulled the trigger on TDA, regardless of where they were with the Karlsson trade talks.

I hope that’s the case. What I don’t want to see is them going into September with a surplus of defenseman on roster, like they did with Faulk after signing Gardiner. Options are limited now with teams that can take on Pesce’s $4M and with his NTC. Those options will likely be more limited come training camp. The sooner they deal Pesce (or less likely Skjei imho), the better.
I didn't know the whole Hurricanes front office was at Pesce's wedding.

Must be some honeymoon the front office is gonna have with Pesce. I mean, I know some people really like math, but man. Having contract discussions as a focus of a honeymoon?

giphy.gif

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I will again point out that Chatfield is not a young player with control anymore. He’s a prime aged player set to hit unrestricted free agency next Summer. His future with the club is thus a question mark. Clearing space to keep him content may not be an organizational concern.

Look at the approach with van Riemsdyk. He was an established bottom pairing D on a good team at a similar point contractually. Yet, in his last season, he was rotating in and out of a healthy lineup.
I can see TDA and Chatfield rotating if we don't make any more changes to the D group. However what I don't see happening is keeping all 3 of Chatty, Pesce or Skjei as own-rentals. Doesn't make a ton of sense to extend Skjei with Slavin a fixture, and Orlov then Nikishin already in place. Pesce make sense to try to keep but my price/term himself out of Carolina. Chatfield would make a lot of sense to try to keep past this season if we can't lock up Pesce. But if we don't think we can get deals done now or after the season I gotta think at least someone is traded for assets. Especially with how deep the group is this year, why keep 3 own rentals on a D group where a very good player is going to be a healthy scratch? 1 or 2 ok I get it but not 3. The team may very well be willing to risk it though.

I'd love to get Chatty extended on a reasonable deal that isn't a big overpayment for a 3rd pair D. RHD future is greatly questionable with Burns not a super long term guy (though I could theoretically see him sticking around a few more years past his current deal, not likely), Pesce seeming likely to be gone either in a year or by trade, and Morrow, while a decent prospect, coming with question marks.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Options are limited now with teams that can take on Pesce’s $4M and with his NTC. Those options will likely be more limited come training camp. The sooner they deal Pesce (or less likely Skjei imho), the better.
For some reason, I think GMBC has to have some player movement in the bag....I think that's part of understanding the Aho negotiation and how that might impact the out years. I'm thinking if they do make a defense for offense trade, they are likely looking at somebody with a couple of years left on their deal. Making next year's money work is still important to these guys.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Probably crazy thinking, but considering that Pesce already seems to have one foot out the door, I wonder if they’d consider re-uniting Slavin and TDA and putting Burns with Orlov, and by process of elimination, put Skjei and Chatfield together (they worked well together in the past I believe).

At least for the regular season, that might be the most effective use of blueline personnel. I highly doubt they’d split up Slavin-Burns, but the numbers from 21-22 from the Slavin-TDA pairing aren’t too shabby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad