WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Jäger should be an option but Fischer tends to take players who played a good preparation camp over players who play good playoffs.

And Senteler, who could be replaced by a Lausanne Center (Jäger or Fuchs) played very well.

Reactions: Playmaker82

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Hischier and Haas are locks at centre, Senteler is playing well and I assume Bertschy is set for a centre spot as well. Then you still have Thürkauf, Kurashev and Ambühl who can play the position if needed, so centre depth shouldn't be a factor when deciding if Fuchs or Jäger should make it over a winger.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fischer wants to go with Kurashev-Hischier-Niederreiter and Andrighetto-Haas-Scherwey. Then something like Ambühl-Bertschy-Thürkauf would make sense, and that leaves the three Zug players. Hard to see where Jäger or Fuchs could fit. And that's without even considering Riat, who I'd take over Simion at the moment.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think RIchard is a lock at Center, too.

And I don't think he'll put Scherwey with Andrighetto or/and Haas, he just isn't the player he used to be 2 or 3 years ago. He still brings a lot of energy but his offensive upside is just not good enough.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I think RIchard is a lock at Center, too.

And I don't think he'll put Scherwey with Andrighetto or/and Haas, he just isn't the player he used to be 2 or 3 years ago. He still brings a lot of energy but his offensive upside is just not good enough.

I forgot about Richard, gigantic brain fart.

I just threw that combination as Fischer used it many times before and Scherwey has been playing with Haas lately, but maybe he'd work well with Bertschy and Ambühl, and Thürkauf can play on a more offensive line. I'm not too worried about line combinations anyway, the main point was that it's difficult for a newcomer to break into that lineup, even though Fuchs and Jäger had great playoffs.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It was like:

Reporter: "Now how does it look with the players from NA, Nino, Josi and Fiala?
Weibel: "It looks good and we're optimistic but we can confirm when we have all the papers"
Reporter: "For all 3?"
Weibel: "Yes".

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Niederreiter - Hischier - Kurashev
Andrighetto - Senteler (Malgin?) - Fiala

Simion - Haas - Ambuhl - Scherwey - Rickard - Bertschy - Riat - Herzog - Thurkauf.

Siegenthaler - Josi
Kukan - Loeffel
Marti - Geisser
Egli - Jung
Fora - Baragano

Berra
Genoni
Schmid

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought he was having a good game and was preparing a "credit when credit is due post", and then he failed to clear the crease on the goal.

Not much to take from this game that we didn't already know anyway, apart from the fact that Czech sport broadcasting directors are as bad as Swiss ones. But as a more general comment, I've found Geisser a bit disappointing during those game, I wonder if he could be dropped for Heldner?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I saw that article but they are quoting the "Le Matin" report you mentioned already, it's not a new source.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
It was like:

Reporter: "Now how does it look with the players from NA, Nino, Josi and Fiala?
Weibel: "It looks good and we're optimistic but we can confirm when we have all the papers"
Reporter: "For all 3?"
Weibel: "Yes".
If they manage to get all 3 our chances get a lot better. They were all 3 there in 2018 too and we didn‘t have Hischier or Siegenthaler back then. I do think Josi would be a huge difference maker not only on but also off the ice maybe something that was missing in the last years.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer says 6 or 7 new players will arrive next week. Means beside Nino and Josi max 5 from Lausanne and the Lions.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fischer says 6 or 7 new players will arrive next week. Means beside Nino and Josi max 5 from Lausanne and the Lions.
Niederreiter, Josi, Kukan, Andrighetto, Marti and Riat with Fiala being unsure would match what Furrer and Weibel said. Le Matin named 7 players from Lausanne and ZSC alone, including Geering and Fuchs, who haven't played for the national team this season, so I would dismiss their report.

That would mean 4 cuts on defense, likely Kreis, Aebischer and Baragano, then Jung is probably the next in line although Fora played poorly and I'd be surprised to have all 4 of Josi, Kukan, Loeffel and Egli on the team.

At forward, we're looking at just 5 cuts (Assuming 14 will travel to Prague). Kessler and Lehmann are the first in line I think, then Bader and Künzle make the most sense, although they played well last week. Then I would think Moy is out given that he's a strictly offensive player who failed to produce. If Fiala comes, I thought Simion was underwhelming so he would my last cut.

Reactions: Playmaker82

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Fiala accepting while expecting a child would be unexpected.

Nice to see Josi accepting, probably my favorite non-Swedish non-Vegas player and always delivers at Worlds.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Weibel's comment really came as a surprise, I didn't even consider Fiala among the potential players. He has often shown commitment to the national team, once coming when he didn't have a contract, but potentially missing a childbirth is a whole other level.

I thought maybe he has some agreement that he can fly back if the child comes during the tournament, but I would think any coaching staff would prefer to do without a player who can leave mid-tournament (unless you're fighting relegation and have key games early).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So, if that's correct we have:

Berra / Genoni / Schmid

4 cuts on D:
Kreis / Jung / Aebischer / Egli or Baragano

Josi / Siegenthaler / Kukan / Glauser
Loeffel / Geisser / Fora / Egli or Baragano

5 cuts on Forward:
Lehmann / Kessler / Künzle / Bader / Moy

Ambühl / Richard / Senteler / Hischier / Kurashev / Thürkauf / Simion / Bertschy / Scherwey / Haas / Herzog / Nino / Andrighetto / Riat

Not a bad roster at all. But not much youth in it. After 26 there will be a huge cut.

Edit: SRF writes:

"Kevin Fiala, der in Kürze zum ersten Mal Vater wird, ist nur dann ein Thema, wenn das Kind früher als geplant auf die Welt kommt und ein Nachreisen noch Sinn macht."

So this would be my guess, if the child is born maybe during the first week of the WC, he could still travel to the Czech Republic.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
That would make sense.

And you put Glauser on your roster instead of Marti, if we accept the rumour that Glauser in injured.

Last edited:

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
NIEDERREITER - HISCHIER - KURASHEV
ANDRIGHETTO - SENTELER - HERZOG
THURKAUF - HAAS - RIAT
BERTSCHY - RICHARD - AMBUHL
Simion, Scherwey

And SIEGENTHALER - JOSI as 1D.

Maybe? Not bad at all.

Ad