Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 9: 500 Goals & 1,100 Points and counting Edition

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So I didn’t follow the ASG selection process at all but as I take it Stamkos wasn’t nominated. Is that right?

He’s currently 6th in points, 11th in goals, carried our offense with Kuch and Point out, lead the team to the top position in the East once again. He’s also 30th all-time in NHL powerplay goals now.

Any chance he still makes it - other than as an replacement?

That's correct. He is part of the Last Men In vote and may still make it, just didn't make the initial roster.

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
I need some help. I'm still feeling my way around the board.
I quoted LightningStrikes and my reply ended up in the same box as his post. What did I do wrong. How do I reply to a quote correctly.
Thanks.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I need some help. I'm still feeling my way around the board.
I quoted LightningStrikes and my reply ended up in the same box as his post. What did I do wrong. How do I reply to a quote correctly.
Thanks.
Fixed it for ya.

It looks like you just typed inside the quoted area. These [ quote ] mark where the quote starts and [/ quote] mark where the quote ends to form that box.

Reactions: StammerHammer

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vasy's the best goalie in the game, Hedman's the best Dman. It's hard to get three players on the team. Realistically we should have five, if they were making "the best" team.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
That dudes comment on the main boards about being able to watch his favorite all star drake batherson and Adam pelech killed me. This equal representation thing has really killed these. They were less and less entertaining over the years on their own but now that guys that are clearly not in that category get a spot is embarassing.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That dudes comment on the main boards about being able to watch his favorite all star drake batherson and Adam pelech killed me. This equal representation thing has really killed these. They were less and less entertaining over the years on their own but now that guys that are clearly not in that category get a spot is embarassing.
It’s an All Star game, the best players in the league should go and not “one player per team minimum and then we’ll see”. But it’s a circus anyway so who cares.

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Remember when Montreal had 5 players at the all star game: Price, Markov, Kovalev, Komisarek, and Lecavalier :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The game might not be a joke if it had the best players in the game, and also if it felt just little, A LITTLE, different from pond hockey.

Skills competition is the real all star game, although, even there, you don't really see the top guys in each category.

BoltsFanSinceDay1

Apr 27, 2019
The game might not be a joke if it had the best players in the game, and also if it felt just little, A LITTLE, different from pond hockey.

Skills competition is the real all star game, although, even there, you don't really see the top guys in each category.
If they want to "grow" the NHL fan base, they might want to reconsider how the All Star Weekend is done. It can be more boring than a regular season game at times. We have a new fan in our family, and he is not impressed with it at all.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If they want to "grow" the NHL fan base, they might want to reconsider how the All Star Weekend is done. It can be more boring than a regular season game at times. We have a new fan in our family, and he is not impressed with it at all.

I think it's by far worse than an average regular season game. Nothing's at stake.

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I think it's by far worse than an average regular season game. Nothing's at stake.

There's no such thing as an "all star game" that's ever been more exciting than a playoff game. In any sport, ever.

The all-time peak of the genre was the 1980's NBA slam dunk competitions. Everything else is just a wet fart in comparison. By the time Harold Miner was winning it, they should've basically canceled every all-star weekend across every sport, because it just sucks.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Every format change to the all star game brings a bit of excitement but by the second time around all the cynicism comes rushing right back.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
So apparently the All Star game isn't for all stars.
The "All-Star" game is a mid-season exhibition featuring players from every team and is for the entertainment of fans and the benefit of sponsors of every team.

The real All-Stars are selected after the regular season by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. The top two players at each position are named to the First and Second All-Star Teams respectively.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Love that he's playing so well. I've been waiting for him to prove the naysayers wrong. Hoping he can finally break his career high and hit 100+ points.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Love that he's playing so well. I've been waiting for him to prove the naysayers wrong. Hoping he can finally break his career high and hit 100+ points.
I don't think anyone's had a problem with his regular season play for the past... 5 years or so? He's just never going to be among this team's most valuable players come playoff time, and I've come to accept that. I do think there could be a perfect trade out there involving Stamkos that would make us a better team come playoff time, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Reactions: LordZapp and DFC

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I don't think anyone's had a problem with his regular season play for the past... 5 years or so? He's just never going to be among this team's most valuable players come playoff time, and I've come to accept that. I do think there could be a perfect trade out there involving Stamkos that would make us a better team come playoff time, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Agree. He set his career high for points in the last full NHL season. That said, it *feels* different this year, because we've really needed that production with Kuch and Point out.

So I'm holding out hope he'll keep that going through the playoffs. But given the last two Cups, it's nice knowing we don't need him in top form.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, playoffs come around: Point gets better, Hedman gets better, Kucherov stays pretty much the same (dominant), but Stamkos drops down from an elite player to something more like a good complementary player. It's frustrating, but not as frustrating as it used to be when we were more dependent on him to be a game-breaker.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Halpern on Stammer:
"Those first years he was very young. Especially that first year we had so many older veteran guys, so you don't really get to see someone's true personality come out, and how they handle the room, especially in the role that Stammer's in now. I was probably most impressed, or the story I remember the most, the coaching staff at the time had put Stammer on a training program. He was going to sit a couple games out and watch, and learn in that way. I can't even remember if it got to that point or if it maybe lasted a game or two, but his progression was so fast in the middle of that season. His strength, his awareness around the rink, and how he moved around the rink, it improved at such a good pace that he was quickly changed from that to a really good player on that team, and obviously moving forward how he stepped up a couple years later, 50 goal seasons. What I see now, obviously it's the same offensive instincts. I really appreciate the things he does consistently, and the way he scores goals, and not just one-timers on the power play, but how good he is playing the game with his head up with the puck on his stick. With that how he's handled, you know when you're a captain of a team that's expected to win, even when you do win, there's a lot of pressure that goes on that player, and I think he handles it really well. I think he has the respect of the players in the room which is the most important thing. Obviously the way the last 2 years have gone, I think it's a great trajectory for his career as a player and a captain."
"He's an extremely smart hockey player, human being, so when you talk to him you can see the respect that other players have for him, When he has an opinion or a look of the game, the guys kind of take a step back and understand what he's saying is probably true. Personally my biggest understanding of him, in the way that you said an aura, was when he came back in playoffs 2 years ago. I actually don't go to the bench for warmups. I stay in the room and help the other assistants go on the bench. But for that game I wanted to see the buzz, and we had no fans, but the arena had a buzz to it because he was on the ice. Sometimes you see a player like that when they're on the ice they command so much respect from everyone, not just his own teammates, but the other team especially. I think those guys like you said, have a certain aura around them from their body of work that they've had, and the potential for what they can do in the game. Stammer is no different. He definitely has that aura."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He looks like a guy who could have a great back end of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad