Star players that are bad playoff performers

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We're you not complaining just earlier today about how he is a negative in the playoffs despite the production?

I don't think how he plays is indicative to winning. Whenever they face a team with solid enough structure AND good enough players that can be dangerous on a counter attack I think they get exposed each year whether it's the Avs or Knights.

But I don't recall ever saying he didn't produce.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In light of Petterson’s playoff performance. Who are some current or former star players that are bad playoff performers?

Petterson is having a bad playoff THIS year. Wasn't he a PPG player the last time the Canucks were in the playoffs?

I don't think the sample size of playoff games played is big enough to determine what kind of playoff performer he is yet.

Last edited:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I am genuinely curious about this one thing:

Does any star or noteworthy player in NHL history have a Game Seven track record worse than his or as bad?

Five games played: zero goals, two assists, minus five rating. All losses for his team.
Matthews, 0 goals in 6 final elimination games (including game 5 vs Columbus).

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This RNH is disappointing you these playoffs?

This versatile forward who's been all over the lineup doing everything from PK to PP to centering his own line to 1LW and is currently 14th in scoring?

Are you a Korean parent?

View attachment 871559
McDavid something… hurr, hurr, herr… Draisaitl something… hurr, hurr, hurr… PP merchant, hurr, hurr, hurr… gets favorable matchups… hurr, hurr, hurr.

Honestly, you can tell most of the people posting this garbage are in bed before Oiler games start. RNH is an excellent 3C or complimentary winger on the top 2 lines… he is not a star player (as per the OP), nor does he get paid like one.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Petterson is having a bad playoff THIS year. Wasn't he a PPG player the last time the Canucks were in the playoffs?

I don't think the sample size of playoff games played is big enough to determine what kind of playoff performer he is yet.
That was one playoff a while ago. Marner also went PPG in individual playoffs like last year and in 2018 but he’s definitely still a bad playoff performer.

Keith Tkachuk was a bad playoff performer

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He's been great for years. I am not putting stock into his stats when he was on his ELC. Leafs best player when he was healthy this year, best player last year with some massive goals to win against Tampa, solid.

But production aside, claiming he is not built for the playoffs is my main issue. Mostly because people don't watch him. After the first few games before he got concussed everyone was praising how gritty he was playing including the Bruins coach who said

“I’ve been impressed by how tenacious he’s been on pucks and how relentless he’s been on the forecheck… He’s the most dangerous man on the ice because he’s earned it”​

He must have got that extra respect again in the handshake line.

No TML fans should be OK with Matthews cumulative playoff performances. It’s substandard for a $10m+ player… and they surely shouldn’t be throwing stones in glass houses.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He's been great for years. I am not putting stock into his stats when he was on his ELC. Leafs best player when he was healthy this year, best player last year with some massive goals to win against Tampa, solid.

But production aside, claiming he is not built for the playoffs is my main issue. Mostly because people don't watch him. After the first few games before he got concussed everyone was praising how gritty he was playing including the Bruins coach who said

“I’ve been impressed by how tenacious he’s been on pucks and how relentless he’s been on the forecheck… He’s the most dangerous man on the ice because he’s earned it”​

How can you post this, and call Draisaitl a net negative?

Are you separated from reality or is the divorce finalized and she got the kids?

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

So you mention RNH who has a higher ppg these playoffs than your idol Matthews. Odd way of saying Matthews isn't a playoff performer but we already know that.

How can you post this, and call Draisaitl a net negative?

Are you separated from reality or is the divorce finalized and she got the kids?
It's flat out delusion

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
That was one playoff a while ago. Marner also went PPG in individual playoffs like last year and in 2018 but he’s definitely still a bad playoff performer.

Keith Tkachuk was a bad playoff performer

It was, but that's kind of my point. We have two playoff runs of two rounds each, one in which he was great, and another in which he's been sub-par. I'd prefer more than two data points at opposite ends of the chart to draw a firm conclusion.

Marner by comparison, has been to the playoffs 8 times, and been over a PPG 3 of those times, and in every other case he scored 4 or fewer points per 7 games. Plus his points consistently drop off later in series. So we have enough information to say 'yeah, he's not a great playoff performer'.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I am genuinely curious about this one thing:

Does any star or noteworthy player in NHL history have a Game Seven track record worse than his or as bad?

Five games played: zero goals, two assists, minus five rating. All losses for his team.
Matthews isn’t much better than that

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021

His own coach is calling him out continuously. If Petey was meeting his potential instead of being a no show, this series would be 3-1 or even 4-0 given how tight games both Oilers wins have been. Dude has seriously let down his team. Playing like average fourth line center and about to become one of the highest paid forwards.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
His own coach is calling him out continuously. If Petey was meeting his potential instead of being a no show, this series would be 3-1 or even 4-0 given how tight games both Oilers wins have been. Dude has seriously let down his team. Playing like average fourth line center and about to become one of the highest paid forwards

Yes... and?

I've never argued Pettersson was playing well in this year's playoffs.

I simply said he's only played on two playoff runs to date, one in which he was excellent, one in which he has been sub-par.

So are we just assuming he's sub-par based on one playoff run? If so, how is that better than assuming he's great based on one playoff run?

Reactions: stampedingviking

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Yes... and?

I've never argued Pettersson was playing well in this year's playoffs.

I simply said he's only played on two playoff runs to date, one in which he was excellent, one in which he has been sub-par.

So are we just assuming he's sub-par based on one playoff run? If so, how is that better than assuming he's great based on one playoff run?
He's literally performing for his playoff resume right now. Yes, 11 games is a lot of playoffs hockey already. It's not a random sample during the long regular season, it's 11 games of that time of the year when the best players stand out from the crowd.

Petey was ranked higher than Drai early this season/ at off-season. Even if you don't agree with that, at least they should be close, right? Guess which one has 10 points this series while other one has 1 point?

I am more interested of what's happening now than 5 years ago, but okay I don't mind combining the results. It's still a poor performance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad