SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
From the Petes board

Heard that from an agent, but one who doesn't represent him but must have some knowledge of the situation. I guess you will be able to tell us if he reports to the Soo's development camp. If he does then perhaps chances of him signing are pretty good, if not then he obviously decided on Chicago.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Heard that from an agent, but one who doesn't represent him but must have some knowledge of the situation. I guess you will be able to tell us if he reports to the Soo's development camp. If he does then perhaps chances of him signing are pretty good, if not then he obviously decided on Chicago.
I heard he wasn't coming this weekend.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Grey Hounds 4th round pick Carson Andrew out of Shattuck is expected to be a fairy high pick in the upcoming USHL draft (top 3 rounds). Would be curious to see if he reports to the development camp

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
1000001080.jpg

Notable exclusions:
2024 2nd - Croskery, Callum LD
2023 5th - Smith, Brady C
2023 6th - Dell'Elce, Sebastian LD
2023 6th - Charron, Jordan LW
2023 7th - Reid, Chase RD
2023 12th - Mainville, Callum C

Surprised how many from last year's draft aren't coming, particularly 4 mid-round picks in a row (5th, 6th, 6th, 7th). Those are the guys who I would have expected to have a great shot at making the team this fall. Not good.

But very happy to see Keegan Gillen's name.

Last edited:

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
View attachment 864034

Notable exclusions:
2024 2nd - Croskery, Callum LD
2023 5th - Smith, Brady C
2023 6th - Dell'Elce, Sebastian LD
2023 6th - Charron, Jordan LW
2023 7th - Reid, Chase RD
2023 12th - Mainville, Callum C

Surprised how many from last year's draft aren't coming, particularly 4 mid-round picks in a row (5th, 6th, 6th, 7th). Those are the guys who I would have expected to have a great shot at making the team this fall. Not good.

But very happy to see Keegan Gillen's name.
Crazy that smith isn't here. He's liked every ig post the hounds have put out all year. Maybe he's injured? Same about gillen. I think he will be a fantastic addition. I hope he gets a shot

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Some notes on the free agent invites:
Ronson, Owen ('07) R D - Looks like a big (6'3" 170lbs) stay at home defender (U16AAA 8pts in 36 games)
Mann, Ethan ('07) D - probably the same? (U16AAA 7 pts in 35 games)
Sloan, Blake ('07) R G - 5'11" 152lbs
Tatomir, Ethan ('07) L D - 6'1" 196lbs, decent offense (U16AAA 20pts in 33 games)
Tangalin, Trevor ('07) R D - 5'9" 161lbs, (U18AAA 11pts in 28 games)
Muxlow, Erik ('07) F - 5'11" 161lbs, played with Travis Hayes and Keegan Gillen his draft year, over a point per game.
Fogarty, Carter ('07) F - around a point per game his draft year.
Castiglione, Andrew ('07) L C - 6'0" 165lbs, (U16AAA 10pts in 31 games)
Jankovich, Blake ('07) R F - 5'10" 163lbs, (U16AAA 44pts in 38 games)
McLeod, Jordan ('07) L C - 6'1" 157lbs, (U18AAA 3pts in 28 games)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
thanks Pops.

last years draft needs to be a strong one if we're hoping to make a run in '27. it's definitely a little alarming to see so many 2023 mid-rounders not in attendance but it could be nothing. i looked quickly but it appeared Martin, Hayes, Solomon then a significant gap into the late rounds. did these players not coming attend last years camp?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
His grandfather was a long time doctor here in the Soo and he's spent a lot of his summers here growing up. I wouldn't put any stock into his development camp decision. Much like Virgilio, he'll come up to see our facilities at some point and make an informed decision.

Reactions: Corso

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Posting dev camp rosters here. Can't rely on them keeping them up on their website.

Attachments

• Detailed.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2024LineUp_Sheet.pdf
    205.2 KB · Views: 2

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Wasn't it Caulfield who also had a grandparent here? Maybe we can be 1 for 2 on the grandparent factor.
My daughter works in Station Mall. She met Caufield’s aunt, says she was a very nice lady

One can daydream about Cole filling OHL nets as a Hound …

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
caulfield was a flyer pick, but they used a late round pick on him so it really didn't matter and was well worth the risk.

using a 2nd round pick on Croskery could be argued as too high a risk given our lack of early round picks the next few drafts and our intention to build around our '07's. maybe Raftis has some inside insight on his intentions? i'll try and take the longview but if he never dresses for us that was an egegious waste of a high pick imo.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
caulfield was a flyer pick, but they used a late round pick on him so it really didn't matter and was well worth the risk.

using a 2nd round pick on Croskery could be argued as too high a risk given our lack of early round picks the next few drafts and our intention to build around our '07's. maybe Raftis has some inside insight on his intentions? i'll try and take the longview but if he never dresses for us that was an egegious waste of a high pick imo.
Totally agree.

Wondering if I’ll ever see a draft where Hounds have their 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds. 🤔

In the ‘70s, there were (league-wide) drafts where overall talent taken in 2nd or 3rd was better than the first. Scouting was like 1700s prospecting back then.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Totally agree.

Wondering if I’ll ever see a draft where Hounds have their 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds. 🤔

In the ‘70s, there were (league-wide) drafts where overall talent taken in 2nd or 3rd was better than the first. Scouting was like 1700s prospecting back then.
We've done a pretty decent job. There has been a Greyhound drafted to the NHL every year since the franchise has existed. I wonder how many other teams can say that

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Notes from game today.

- carson andrew I think had 4 points. On a line with Martin and they dominated.
- Cali looked fantastic. What a combination of skill and size. Already a big body that seems to bypassed the gangly stage. Made some very skilled plays.
- mcqueen looked good. Made some very good passes in thr offensive zone. Hard to belive that kid slipped o the 12th. Was one of thr more noticeable forwards
- Pangretisch is a monster on defence. Hulking frame with speed and skill.
- owen kelly could be the future owen allard. Big, fast and hits hard.
- James EElliotthas a motor that doesn't stop. Consistently pressured the opposition into coughing up the puck and has a ton of speed to burn.
- lagoutte showed well on forward wirh andrew and brady martin. Got 2 or 3.
- in net, reid Thomas was really good and will camputauro is talented as a 16 year old. Really big and mobile for a 6'5 kid.
- gillen scored a nice goal and was really noticeable on d.
-hunter solomon was a force physically. Lookijg forward to having him on thr roster this year.
- going to keep a better eye on nolan long and cade kinnear tomorrow.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad