Confirmed with Link: Spencer Knight signs 3yr/$4.5 mil AAV extension

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
kids the future. keep him happy. cut some 1 guy making a mill and bring up hepo/whoever
Not really necessary. His cap doesnt take affect till next season.

But carrying 14.5 in goaltending is about 3.5 to 4.5 too high for a tandem.

If he gets more starts and outplays Bob this season then the contract becomes market value especially since he is an RFA. Then maybe Bob says he wants to get moved cause he doesnt want to be a backup 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Desert Panther

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm actually shocked at the mainboards, why I typically don't read threads. Did we kill someone? We struggled against a crappy Caps team and got demolished by Tampa. Is Huberdeau and Weegar that beloved? Never seen it like this. Would have loved to earn the hate at least lol.

Embrace it.

And echoing what others are saying in that this is too much. I was expecting at most around $3m per season.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
If he helps us win games then so be it. Sure it's a little bit much on the aav but if he's happy and plays well then it will be worth it. The Bob situation could get more messy which will be more interesting imo

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Shit, now it’s 4.5per? I thought it was 4per. That’s nearly twice as much as I was expecting. Not exactly sure what the logic was here. Like if he did well as a backup this season what was the expectation they think he’d be commanding? More than 4.5?

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Yea the timing does seem odd. He obviously is the future but it seems like he will get a lot more games in so maybe the thought is lock him up now on these terms? Either that or maybe the risk of another team offersheeting? But why the rush to do it now is the real question lol

Reactions: FrolikFan67

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is kinda Tallon esque signing and starting to make me worry. 2.5-3M should been the market value. More than Oettinger makes

This is goaltenders version of having to pay for potential as well.
Knight is one of the best goaltending prospects in the world

But I’m really surprised they got it done already.

Atleast means Zito has zero core players to wign for 22-23 season and can focus on creating cap space/adding players

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's not bad value if you plan on playing Knight a lot this year and buying out Bob. That would surprise me though because it makes way more sense to buyout Bob in 2024 and Bob deserves to play this year. I wonder if there's a plan to make Knight the 1A this year? I'm struggling to figure this out. I mean we're overpaying a goalie by 5 million already and paying another guy 5 million to get off our team so this is small potatoes but still every dollar counts.

Eh. Zito was incredible to start. The Chiarot deal was bad, but this one is still OK. We’re keeping him happy. He almost didn’t sign. They’re showing him we’re all in on him. Zito has still been an excellent GM.
Chariot trade was incredibly bad, gave up way too many futures in the Calgary trade. Zito is a former agent so I trust him with this though.
kids the future. keep him happy. cut some 1 guy making a mill and bring up hepo/whoever
Knight wasn't an RFA, this doesn't affect this season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This is goaltenders version of having to pay for potential as well.
Knight is one of the best goaltending prospects in the world

But I’m really surprised they got it done already.

Atleast means Zito has zero core players to wign for 22-23 season and can focus on creating cap space/adding players

I dont remember a case where a goalie coming off ETC paid anything near this with so little games. This is not a bridge this is near starter money in NHL too now for a proven goalie

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
I dont remember a case where a goalie coming off ETC paid anything near this with so little games. This is not a bridge this is near starter money in NHL too now for a proven goalie
Look to the Dallas Stars. Jake Oettinger, at 23 years old, recently signed a 3 Yr / 4M deal. Not so much difference, although he does have more game experience than Knight at this point.

The deal kicks in next year, so there is no effect this season. And per CF, it is leaving a projected 11.3 M in Cap space, with 3 or 4 slots to fill in '23-24.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yea the timing does seem odd. He obviously is the future but it seems like he will get a lot more games in so maybe the thought is lock him up now on these terms? Either that or maybe the risk of another team offersheeting? But why the rush to do it now is the real question lol

Zito also rushed to sign Verhaeghe which turned out to be an excellent decision.

I don't think there's a one specific reason why Zito hurried. For an instance, he might've also wanted to establish some goodwill with Spencer that pays off later on. Tampax' Vasi also signed his bridge contract a year in advance so this isn't an uncommon practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad