SHL/Allsvenskan 2021-2022

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hv71 is going nuts. im laughing my ass off. they already had the best allsvenskan roster ever and now they added bohm, shinkaruk and kelleher.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Weird how this is allowed.

The Swedes have to prove they belong, as do foreigners. It’s a professional league.

We need to think about developing swedish players. If there is too many foreigenrs it will take important ice-time from young swedes. I would say we should have a import-rule. Max 5 non-swedes in every team.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
We need to think about developing swedish players. If there is too many foreigenrs it will take important ice-time from young swedes. I would say we should have a import-rule. Max 5 non-swedes in every team.

I have serious issues with this line of thinking. Mainly: the SHL is not a developmental league, it’s a high stakes professional league with teams needing wins and players competing for championships. I think this is a big reason why the SHL does develop great talent, and why it often can keep NHL prospects for a couple of seasons after their draft years: they are playing top-level hockey in a competitive environment against grown men until they are deemed ready for the next step.

It’s driving me crazy when people ask why we’re not bringing on another junior player every time there’s an injury in the lineup. We acquired Sami Lepistö when Styrman got a devastating concussion, at a point when we already had other nagging injuries on defense. If there was one we would, but it’s pretty hard to replace 10+ minutes of mainly defensive assignments in the SHL with an 18 year old, we haven’t got another four Nils Lundkvists percolating in the juniors, and I don’t see how getting humiliated in the SHL would be beneficial for a prospect’s development!

If they’re good enough, the kids are competing for ice time in the SHL. If they aren’t, they have tons of options. Take Noel Gunler for example. He got several opportunities with Luleå but struggled to crack the roster and get the ice time he wanted with a top team. Brynäs were struggling and could offer him a regular middle-of-the-lineup roster spot with PP time, so a deal was settled for a loan. He hasn’t taken the league by storm, but it’s worked out well for him.

Other times, they just don’t cut it in the SHL at all, then there’s the J20 or J18 leagues, or they can opt for a loan to Allsvenskan or Division 1 to further their development. All good options. Why should we force minutes onto juniors who aren’t ready to compete in the SHL? The players and their agents can handle their business just fine.

What about the Swedish veterans holding the kids back? Alexander Holtz was arguably hampered as much by Niclas Bergfors, Linus Andersson and Dick Axelsson as he was by Rhett Rakhshani. Seven Swedish forwards received more ice time than Holtz on Djurgården last year. Should we limit the amount of Swedish veterans per team as well?

And what about the foreigners developing in Swedish teams?

Konstantin Komarek is a local boy playing for Luleå as far as I’m concerned, having been developed in our system since he was 15. I don’t give a shit which national team he represents, he’s a steel man!

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
gelinas to dif

paigin to timrå

the relegation match series beetween dif and timrå is gonna be epic

Was hoping I would be able to make a snarky reply to this after the regular season was over, but now it's looking like we will have to play Timrå after all :(

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sida 360-02

Allsvenskan regular season is over. Södertälje vs Troja in regulation series,

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
gelinas to dif

paigin to timrå

the relegation match series beetween dif and timrå is gonna be epic

Not so epic after all! Timrå steamrolled 4-0 Djurgården wasent even close... and it sucks that SHL doesnt have any capital team in the highest leauge now.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Not so epic after all! Timrå steamrolled 4-0 Djurgården wasent even close... and it sucks that SHL doesnt have any capital team in the highest leauge now.
on the other hand, the derby games beetween aik and djurgården is gonna be epic.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
what a dream team Timrå is putting together for next season. Lander, Wedin and now Emil Pettersson.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I wish i'd see MoDo back in SHL. It's quite insane what this little club and ö-vik has been able to do for Swedish and international hockey. Per capita it's been able to produce the most quality and star players in the world and it's not even close.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I wish i'd see MoDo back in SHL. It's quite insane what this little club and ö-vik has been able to do for Swedish and international hockey. Per capita it's been able to produce the most quality and star players in the world and it's not even close.
Me too. But i also want to see HV, AIK, Björklöven and Västerås back in SHL. And ofc DIF. I think SHL could handle having 20 teams.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad