Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Quenneville should be at the top of the list. Easily the best candidate and it's not even close but the supplementary issues are a serious hurdle. A lot would have to clear up on that end.

After that, it's best to look at someone like Berube. Gallant and Boudreau will probably get interviews but I think they might be in the next tier of options.

You also have Brind'Amour who is expiring in Carolina although I doubt he leaves. They could try wooing him with a huge contract offer if they feel he's the best option.
Yeah, Brind'Amour would be a good fit.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Relax. The series isn't over yet, officially, even if they are toast.

We saw last summer what happens when you make hasty, emotional, and poorly thought out decisions - it doesn't go well.

His time is up, but let the process play out.
Shanny and Keefer are both done like dinner now so why wait and dilly dally .. i have found in business when you know things are not gonna work out it is best interests of everyone to shock da company hard with honesty .. to its roots .. sometimes people look into mirror and have come to jesus moments .. not saying it works every time but in this case da bench knows its over now and so do most of fan base

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He can't make Matthews, Marner, JT or Nylander score, have any of you played organized sports?

I was a National qualifying wrestler in H.S. I never once lost or won a match because of my coach. Sometimes the motivation of fans or my teammates pushed me through, but never a coach. You do your work before the match to prepare, then its up to you to perform.

Keefe will be canned as will Shanny, In the end it was the players who caused the pink slips. Anyone in management who lobbied for these massive contracts to remain on the books the one responsible for this eight year long fiasco/league wide embarrassment.

If you wear a Leafs hat around town nowadays you surely are mocked. The association is far worse than just "we tried but lost again".
No one in here said the stars were fine. However, Keefe is a problem, maybe a major one besides MM (after so many years of playoffs, they still don't understand SC playoff); no play structure adjustment (PP, Pk, board play), 4th line deployment when down 2 goals .... etc.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Shanny and Keefer are both done like dinner now so why wait and dilly dally .. i have found in business when you know things are not gonna work out it is best interests of everyone to shock da company hard with honesty .. to its roots .. sometimes people look into mirror and have come to jesus moments .. not saying it works every time but in this case da bench knows its over now and so do most of fan base
I highly doubt Shanny will be gone after this season unless Shanny insists Tre kept Keefer as HC this season.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Relax. The series isn't over yet, officially, even if they are toast.

We saw last summer what happens when you make hasty, emotional, and poorly thought out decisions - it doesn't go well.

His time is up, but let the process play out.
I believe the poster was referring to at the end of last season, or the one before that, or the one before that.

Fastest coach to 100
Let's leave his weight gain out of this please.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
No one in here said the stars were fine. However, Keefe is a problem, maybe a major one besides MM (after so many years of playoffs, they still don't understand SC playoff); no play structure adjustment (PP, Pk, board play), 4th line deployment when down 2 goals .... etc.
Keefe most likely gets canned, but if he and Shanny are the only ones and the teams core remains the same we will remain the laughing stock of the league. 57 Years of futility. I lost faith after the Habs series, that was the final straw for me.

As I said before the playoffs began, I've seen this team time and again so I didn't have faith even if the signs pointed to a different type of teams, especially after the first two games.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
There is no answer when your stars can't perform. Period. How many millions tied up in Marner, Matthews, JT, Nylander and Reilly? Yet, they go 1 for 13 or 14 on the PP?

This isn't coaching, this is players who can't perform when the pressure arises.

Mario won two Cups and dominated when the playoffs came, pushed on by his equally driven teammate Jagr. He scores the game winner in Canada Cup against the Russians (want to talk about pressure, back then this was it).

Crosby has multiple Cups and is still a PPG player at his age. He has a Golden Goal in OT during the Olympics for a gold medal. The world wide olympic games! That is performing under pressure. He thrives on it and he WILL rise to the ocassion more often than not. He is the prototype, for all the dismissive opinions people have of him.

Let's be honest here and stop passing the buck. Do you think Montgomery has some special skill that makes Marchand an 8 point playoff player throughg 4 games?

No. We ALL know Marchand, regardless of how much we despise him will show up when it matters most. He is a 35 year old who wills himself to win.

The players arguing on the bench is a positive to me. I guarantee you Matthews wants to win badly. Especially if his peer McDavid goes deep with a team I would argue has worse defense than this Leafs team today. This is why I said Matty is the guy to build around and with the right pack they can keep his eyes on what is needed.

Check out this article, even Bruins coach is shocked by how quiet Leafs stars have been:

ven Bruins Coach is "Very Surprised" By How Little Offense Leafs' Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares Have Provided​

This series isn't quite over. But with how ineffective Toronto's offense has been, it's starting to feel that way.

Even Bruins coach Jim Montgomery can't quite believe it.

"Very surprised," said Montgomery. "That being said, we didn’t think that if we allowed Toronto to score it would be a good series for us."
stop saying Keefe is not part of the problem.
It seems that you forgot Phil has 3 cups, and he should get the conn at his 1st one. Anyway, I never understand why people believe stars need no coach, in fact, they are the worst, most stars need the RIGHT coach, just look at mcjesus.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I sensed trouble after Columbus, but it was his first season under some bizarre conditions.
Feels like this was likely their internal justification / thought process too.

I like Keefe. I think he's a good coach who has shown growth as a rookie with 0 experience since he joined the team. I feel like he's going to have a very successful coaching career when all is said and done.

But I'm ready for a change. This organization needs it. The fans need it. I'm tired of the same old script every single damn time.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Montgomery knew he couldn't limp into the post-season with such a lifeless power play."

Unlike Keefe, whose team limps into the post-season with a lifeless power play seemingly every year - or it becomes one starting game one - the Boston coach did something about it.

Who would have thought something so simple as "Hey, it's not working let's try something new?" would be so difficult? Apparently, Keefe did.

The result: Boston's special teams are killing the Leafs.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You can't take the cup away from him but other than that Berube has only been out of the first round once. Maybe I'm absolutely crazy but I think I would rather grab a coach that has made it to the third round multiple multiple times but never further than a coach who has won the cup but other than that one year hasn't been able to do much else.
St. Louis was also a big heavy team that won a lot of games by the skin of their teeth. Not sure we have the horses to play that way. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Treliving take us in that direction though.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
"Montgomery knew he couldn't limp into the post-season with such a lifeless power play."

Unlike Keefe, whose team limps into the post-season with a lifeless power play seemingly every year - or it becomes one starting game one - the Boston coach did something about it.

Who would have thought something so simple as "Hey, it's not working let's try something new?" would be so difficult? Apparently, Keefe did.

The result: Boston's special teams are killing the Leafs.

I don't think I have ever seen a team that had a 70 goal scorer and their PP sucked
Or a team that the worse PP and PK at the same time

12 out last 13 games leafs failed to score more than 2 goals in playoff games
That's with 44 million dollar forwards who's job is one thing, to score goals

Such an unlikable team

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I highly doubt Shanny will be gone after this season unless Shanny insists Tre kept Keefer as HC this season.
Keefer is useless for sure but best players have overcome useless coaches in da past .. these playoff problems have Shanny, Keefer, Mitch, JT and others names all over them .. but da real issue with team is subscribers, sponsors and corporations like me keep pouring more and more money into team every year .. it is pretty simple really da revenue i make from LeafNation more than covers my subscriber and sponsor fees so it becomes an easy financial decision .. and for executives who fill lower bowl well their corporations are footing da bill so it is a free night out .. it is a perpetual situation which shows no signs of stopping .. maybe only way it stops is if resale folks decide to STOP going to games and then many seats sit empty .. then following year more subscribers will drop out and eventually da waiting list becomes zero and we get structural change .. but that has never ever occurred so i would not bet on it .. there is no financial motivation for MLSE to change bottom line

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
stop saying Keefe is not part of the problem.
It seems that you forgot Phil has 3 cups, and he should get the conn at his 1st one. Anyway, I never understand why people believe stars need no coach, in fact, they are the worst, most stars need the RIGHT coach, just look at mcjesus.
You think Kessel won his Cups because of coaching?

In Vegas he didn't even play a minute in the playoffs and he received a ring.

Coaching is 10-15% of the game. Their primary contribution is player selection and ice time. In the end, if players can't win their matchups, that's on them.

It seems everyone wants us to believe that somehow Mitch will become a Mark Messier come playoffs if only he had the right coach...

This is more insulting than it is comedy. How many coaches have won multiple Cups and are then fired? Including in Pittsburgh?

Did they just forget how to coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009
Keefer is useless for sure but best players have overcome useless coaches in da past .. these playoff problems have Shanny, Keefer, Mitch, JT and others names all over them .. but da real issue with team is subscribers, sponsors and corporations like me keep pouring more and more money into team every year .. it is pretty simple really da revenue i make from LeafNation more than covers my subscriber and sponsor fees so it becomes an easy financial decision .. and for executives who fill lower bowl well their corporations are footing da bill so it is a free night out .. it is a perpetual situation which shows no signs of stopping .. maybe only way it stops is if resale folks decide to STOP going to games and then many seats sit empty .. then following year more subscribers will drop out and eventually da waiting list becomes zero and we get structural change .. but that has never ever occurred so i would not bet on it .. there is no financial motivation for MLSE to change bottom line

I've never understood this line of thinking. MLSE essentially doesn't pay any player salaries in the playoffs, so any home playoff games are a massive contribution to profits. They very much have a financial motivation for deep playoff runs and cups.

Reactions: Captain34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You think Kessel won his Cups because of coaching?

In Vegas he didn't even play a minute in the playoffs and he received a ring.

Coaching is 10-15% of the game. Their primary contribution is player selection and ice time. In the end, if players can't win their matchups, that's on them.

It seems everyone wants us to believe that somehow Mitch will become a Mark Messier come playoffs if only he had the right coach...

This is more insulting than it is comedy.
Every bits count. Like that speech from Any Given Sunday, if you put all the inched together, thats the diff between winning and losing.....
Keefe is one of the problems. Players too. MGT too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad