Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't see a need for that. Halttunen doesn't need to go to the AHL next season. Juniors or Finnish league would be fine for him.

I doubt so as well but they'll need additions at other spots. I'm hoping that they sign Havelid and he comes over.
It's less that I think that should happen (I haven't the foggiest idea what is best for Halttunen) and more that Wiesblatt and Sabourin wouldn't be an impediment in the slightest. If Halttunen really should be in the AHL at 19, you make room for him by dumping the older guys without a future.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Man, it’d be a real bummer if both Celebrini and Smith go back next year, but we’ll see. Not super inclined to trust Random Internet Guy.
I wouldn’t mind the kids maturing another year in their respective leagues. It will guarantee we will suck another year and collect more high picks. They are 17 and 18. Far from their prime years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's less that I think that should happen (I haven't the foggiest idea what is best for Halttunen) and more that Wiesblatt and Sabourin wouldn't be an impediment in the slightest. If Halttunen really should be in the AHL at 19, you make room for him by dumping the older guys without a future.
Maybe but a player who is only shown ability to score goals at juniors and not make much of an impact anywhere else is probably not someone ready to go to the AHL yet.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I wouldn’t mind the kids maturing another year in their respective leagues. It will guarantee we will suck another year and collect more high picks. They are 17 and 18. Far from their prime years.

I think the fans need something after a year of the worst hockey I may have ever seen. I just think it’s fairly important to the franchise to have some reason for fans to come watch next season. I don’t think it’s bad for their development but I think it’s brutal for the Sharks as a team and some of the guys on it.

I do predict that if neither play that Musty makes the team.

Reactions: landshark

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I want them to come to the NHL but it would also allow another year for Grier to fix the D and build a supporting cast that can take advantage of both being on their ELCs. Also it would stagger Smith and Celebrini’s 2nd contracts.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I think the fans need something after a year of the worst hockey I may have ever seen. I just think it’s fairly important to the franchise to have some reason for fans to come watch next season. I don’t think it’s bad for their development but I think it’s brutal for the Sharks as a team and some of the guys on it.

I imagine we will pick up a few players via trade and free agency that will make the team more competitive. Add to that the excitement of the new draft picks and I’m confident fans will be fine waiting a tad bit for their new sparkly players to show up.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

And it's not fair to either Smith or Celebrini to be expected to make decisions that could affect their entire careers because "the fans can't wait another year".

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
And it's not fair to either Smith or Celebrini to be expected to make decisions that could affect thier entire careers because "the fans can't wait another year".

Oh listen, it’s entirely their decision and they shouldn’t be pressured into anything. It might even be better for their development.

I’m just saying, as a fan, it would be a bummer. I recognize it’s selfish but I’m not going to hate tweet them or anything.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I want them to come to the NHL but it would also allow another year for Grier to fix the D and build a supporting cast that can take advantage of both being on their ELCs. Also it would stagger Smith and Celebrini’s 2nd contracts.
I don't see how bringing a couple of young talented forwards up in any way prevents the Sharks from addressing the defense. I'd be stunned if the Sharks weren't last in the league in points next year with the two of them on the big club.

Reactions: Cas

Grinner

May 31, 2022
As long as Smith and Celebrini do sign a contract with the Sharks, I'm fine with them returning for another year at university

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Take it with a grain of salt but a BC fan on twitter is saying that Will Smith's friend told him that Smith has told the Sharks he is going back to BC next season.

Think it was basically guaranteed once Leonard decided to go back, but I do think it will be a really good place for him to develop another year.

I spoke with Aunt Viv and she said he’s still undecided.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Watching Portland/Moose Jaw game 3 on a bit of a delay. It's 2-1 Winterhawks, which I believe is their first time leading all series so far. Haven't seen much from Cagnoni yet.

but I kinda want the Sharks to draft Portland G Jan Spunar. Not because he's particularly great (though he seems to be decent) but just because "Spunar" is fun to say. And it would be an opportunity for Tick "Spooooooooon!" memes.

I spoke with Aunt Viv and she said he’s still undecided.

I heard from Smith's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate that he's seriously considering holding out on the Sharks to force a trade like Cutter Gauthier did.

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006
Watching Portland/Moose Jaw game 3 on a bit of a delay. It's 2-1 Winterhawks, which I believe is their first time leading all series so far. Haven't seen much from Cagnoni yet.

but I kinda want the Sharks to draft Portland G Jan Spunar. Not because he's particularly great (though he seems to be decent) but just because "Spunar" is fun to say. And it would be an opportunity for Tick "Spooooooooon!" memes.

I heard from Smith's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate that he's seriously considering holding out on the Sharks to force a trade like Cutter Gauthier did.

Im all for it but is Stalock the last goalie the sharks drafted that actually played a game for them?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Im all for it but is Stalock the last goalie the sharks drafted that actually played a game for them?

I was going to say "no, that can't be right" but yeah, it looks like it is. After that they drafted Pielmeier and Sateri who got a handful of NHL games but not in San Jose. And there was also Sexsmith, Bergvik, Kupksy, Robinson, Emond, Gaudreau, and Beaupit that never went anywhere. Though there were also stretches where they went several years without drafting any netminders.

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006
I was going to say "no, that can't be right" but yeah, it looks like it is. After that they drafted Pielmeier and Sateri who got a handful of NHL games but not in San Jose. And there was also Sexsmith, Bergvik, Kupksy, Robinson, Emond, Gaudreau, and Beaupit that never went anywhere. Though there were also stretches where they went several years without drafting any netminders.
I had to check on Sateri and Sexsmith. I suppose my memory of them was from preseason.

That just depressed me beyond belief.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I had to check on Sateri and Sexsmith. I suppose my memory of them was from preseason.

That just depressed me beyond belief.

YEah it's not great. Plus they had a few UDFA goalies that never went anywhere like JP Anderson and Thomas Heemskerk.

Part of it is that goalies are voodoo. Part of it also seems like it's probable that their scouts may not have valued the right things (as a fan of the Vancouver Gaints, them drafting Tyson Sexmith was really weird to me because I never thought he was a goalie with high pro potential. He was a system goaltender who benefited from the fact that then-coach Don Hay played the most smothering trap game possible)

I would hope that by now they've turned over the scouting staff to the point that those flaws are not longer omnipresent, though obviously the most recent guys like Beaupit, Gaudreau, and Emond don't exactly change the narrative.

The other issue is that they might need to just cast a wide net and get a bunch of prospects. The only problem there is that it could be considered to be "wasting" draft picks if they were to pick like 4 or 5 goalies over 2 years to really try and get as many lottery tickets as possible.

And while Sexsmith may have bombed, if they want to go back to the Vancouver Giants, I'd be on board with them tossing a prospect camp invite at Brett Mirwald, the 20 year old graduating Giants goalie from the last couple of years. He's not the biggest goalie (6'1) but at his peak the last couple of years he absolutely stole some games for a young team that didn't always have the best defensive unit.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Waiting on the 3rd period to start because there are ice issues in Moose Jaw. It's 3-2 Warriors plus Moose Jaw had a goal disallowed because one of their guys swatted the puck into the next with his hand.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I think there’s benefits both ways. If one or both come next year (which is my preference) then we get to play

What does the Sharks roster look like if they drafted all your toy prospects?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think there’s benefits both ways. If one or both come next year (which is my preference) then we get to play

What does the Sharks roster look like if they drafted all your toy prospects?

I can't do a whole lineup but if the Sharks hadn't blown their 2020 1st on the Karlsson trade the top 6 could be:

Stutzle - Celebrini - Balcers
Smith - Kopitar - trade up in this draft for Iginla.

then suck next year and snag Hagens early on and Cam Schmidt a bit later. :sarcasm:

Meanwhile Portland/Moose Jaw is off to OT at 3-3. Cagnoni had a secondary assist on the Winterhawks' tying goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad