Sharks Biggest Draft Booms and Busts Since 2000

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006
All Euro except for 1 pick that year I think. Heavy on Finns and at least the 2 goalies turned out well.

I think someone just fell in love with his size. The Sharks went Rathje, Nazarov, Kozlov and then Friesen. While Friesen wasnt small, they decided to go back to picking gigantuars.

It really depends on how you define bust. Riihijarvi I wouldnt consider a bust because everyone knew it was an awful pick to begin with and looking back, it wasnt a great draft anyhow.

I still remember how stoked everyone was at getting Petrecki, and it turned into such a disappointment. Wishart and Jillson, even though they were drafted higher never really got anyone over excited from what I recall.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
It was amazing how bad that draft was and how few players contributed anything in the NHL. Almost every team had a bad draft that year. Which is the year if Grillo did something really Dumb that was the year to do it, though the two goalies they took turned out as really good picks and with Miikka Kiprusoff and Vesa Toslka. Missing out on Miikka's run because he was terrible in his few chances and not being able to trade Nabby for a great price turned OK as Nabby was good for several years and what they got for each Vesa more as throw in and what that turned into was Good not great. I think the 2nd turned into Edward ORR Vlasic.

Reactions: NiWa

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne Mustangs (Australian Ice Hockey League) superstar - Ty Wishart!

Taken 16OA in the 2006 draft. Notable players picked after him? Trevor Lewis, Claude Giroux, Semyon Varlamov, Nick Foligno, Jeff Petry, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Cal Clutterbuck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad