Prospect Info: Shane Wright (Round 1, Pick #4, 2022 draft)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yup, they can always call him up and waive Bellemare if necessary.

I'd rather have Shane start in the AHL then get a call up instead of what happened last season. Sitting in an NHL press box does nothing for him. If there are certain deficiencies in his game, it's up to the Kraken front office to communicate that to the farm team.

Shane is eligible for another ELC slide, so that has to factor in as well. I assume he'll get 9 games though. There's no roster limit after the trade deadline, so they won't even have to waive anyone.

I think we tend to overstate how much learning is in the games we watch relative to practice. They learn a lot in practice.

One nice thing about the AHL is the team's development staff is there all the time, they don't need to route anything through FO to another group of instructors. A lot of the same trainers and development folks will be up and down with Shane wherever he goes.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
That might be true, but I can't really relate to that. It seems to me that if I was in a league where I'd never firmly put my stamp down as the best player and never made it to the league finals, that I'd feel some serious unfinished business.

And the big thing we want him to learn - how to hold pucks under pressure - is something he has yet to master at the OHL level. It's not like he's great at it in the OHL and just trying to figure out how to do it in the pros.

In any case, AHL is the best of both worlds.
No it isn't. You can't just toss that in at the end as if it's a proven fact. It's the point we differ on. We can agree to disagree and that's fine, but your last line is just blatantly untrue.

Every player is different and every player has their own unique psychology along with their strengths and weaknesses. In the past I'd have agreed with you, but in this NHL there's a lot more young guys who play in the big leagues when they are (sort of) not ready and the teams feel they develop better in that scenario. The only question to me is are the Kraken willing to let him learn on the fly? A team like Buffalo threw several kids into the trial by fire plan and they had "development year(s)" for their team. Kraken might not have that sort of patience or tolerance for the mistakes that come with that. We shall see.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No it isn't. You can't just toss that in at the end as if it's a proven fact. It's the point we differ on. We can agree to disagree and that's fine, but your last line is just blatantly untrue.

Every player is different and every player has their own unique psychology along with their strengths and weaknesses. In the past I'd have agreed with you, but in this NHL there's a lot more young guys who play in the big leagues when they are (sort of) not ready and the teams feel they develop better in that scenario. The only question to me is are the Kraken willing to let him learn on the fly? A team like Buffalo threw several kids into the trial by fire plan and they had "development year(s)" for their team. Kraken might not have that sort of patience or tolerance for the mistakes that come with that. We shall see.

I must have missed your point earlier. You'd prefer Shane in the NHL this coming season?

He might be ready for it, so there might not be anything to disagree about there.

But I don't think you can go wrong with sending him to the AHL. And there is a risk with guys in the NHL too soon that they just adapt to being middle of the road players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we tend to overstate how much learning is in the games we watch relative to practice. They learn a lot in practice.
Well, players practice in the AHL as well. If the team feels that the AHL staff isn't capable of coaching players to play at the NHL level, then it's time for a new staff. Obviously that isn't the case, and I'd rather have Shane practice AND play in the AHL.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Feel like I’ve said this before, but Wright getting 14-16 minutes in CV with time on special teams and sheltered zone starts is a far superior growth experience than playing 6-7 minutes, no PP and no zone priority with Seattle.

Perfect world he comes in and blows Hakstol’s socks off and pushes Wennberg for 2C and PP time…but his level during the CC playoffs a few months ago didn’t exactly give the appearance that that’s a realistic expectation.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I must have missed your point earlier. You'd prefer Shane in the NHL this coming season?

He might be ready for it, so there might not be anything to disagree about there.

But I don't think you can go wrong with sending him to the AHL. And there is a risk with guys in the NHL too soon that they just adapt to being middle of the road players.
I prefer him in the NHL IFF he is good enough to be in the NHL. At this stage I just don't know, but if it's a bubble decision I'd let him grow on the 4th line.

If he's not good enough sure I'd prefer the AHL but that doesn't seem to be an option by league rules. I do not want to see him back in the CHL.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That's definitely good, but I still think he's on the Kraken roster to start. They will be patient and let him grow and learn.
If he hits a wall or struggles, having the AHL option is perfect though.

I would think that the extra forward slot is Lind's to lose and that they send Wright down to slide his UFA status for another season (this way he hits UFA at 27 instead of at 26). I could see Wright being an injury call-up later in the season, especially after it is mathematically impossible for him to get his 40 games.

If they waive Lind, he will likely be claimed, and he was definitely the better player in the CV games I watched last season.

(of course if Wright worled hard this offseason and comes in and blows everyone away, which would be great, then that would be a completely different story)

Reactions: majormajor

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Exactly. It's all about how good Wright is this year. I'm not basing anything over last year. These young guys take leaps forward all the time. We have to wait and see what we get.

Reactions: majormajor

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I prefer him in the NHL IFF he is good enough to be in the NHL. At this stage I just don't know, but if it's a bubble decision I'd let him grow on the 4th line.

If he's not good enough sure I'd prefer the AHL but that doesn't seem to be an option by league rules. I do not want to see him back in the CHL.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Feel like I’ve said this before, but Wright getting 14-16 minutes in CV with time on special teams and sheltered zone starts is a far superior growth experience than playing 6-7 minutes, no PP and no zone priority with Seattle.

Perfect world he comes in and blows Hakstol’s socks off and pushes Wennberg for 2C and PP time…but his level during the CC playoffs a few months ago didn’t exactly give the appearance that that’s a realistic expectation.

As someone who wanted Wright for the Canadiens, it's as much about setting standards for him as it is developing his game. During his draft year he was playing some bizarre, soft, bullshit hockey. My guess was that someone put some nonsense in his head that you can ticky tacky your way to success in the NHL, and that he'd shake it off pretty quickly. It seems to be taking a little while longer.

What Wright has to learn is that you have to fight for every loose puck, every rebound, every chance. Nobody gives anything to you anymore, you have to take it from them. Making Wright kick down the door and literally take someone's job is a good way of inculcating that idea, IMO.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Looks like he is going to get a chance to shine for the Kraken as he and Winterton have been recalled from the AHL

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would have left Wright down there all year.

When Francis sent him to Coachella he said he wanted Wright to command the puck more. It was a great goal for Wright this year. But Wright surely hasn't done much of that yet, it's too early. He seems to have played well but this is about getting him to try new things.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I would have left Wright down there all year.

When Francis sent him to Coachella he said he wanted Wright to command the puck more. It was a great goal for Wright this year. But Wright surely hasn't done much of that yet, it's too early. He seems to have played well but this is about getting him to try new things.
I was ok with leaving him in Coachella all year and I expect he will be returned soon. The team is pretty banged up and they need someone to bring up. I think rewarding Wright for his good start is not a bad idea. It will just reinforce to him that playing well in the AHL is his way to the NHL.

Same with Winterton. If the kid can stay healthy I think he can be very good and effective at the NHL level. Call ups a lot of times are just a reward for good play. It does not guarantee that they will actually play (thought I think Wright gets a game atleast).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have seen a bit of his play and he is getting better. It also appears that he will not be playing in the world junior championship.

Wright of Kraken unlikely to play for Canada at 2024 World Juniors | NHL.com

I think it’s a mixed bag since you want him to play a lot, but it avoids questions in case he doesn’t have a good tournament.

Smart move by Shane. No reason to play in that tournament and risk your career. He's got a future and has already played in that tournament, captained the squad and won. Absolutely nothing left to prove there.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Smart move by Shane. No reason to play in that tournament and risk your career. He's got a future and has already played in that tournament, captained the squad and won. Absolutely nothing left to prove there.
Guessing Francis/the team have the final say.

For a 19 year old playing regularly in the AHL, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pull him out of a professional league for a month to play against teenagers, especially since he captained the team and won gold last year. It was a different story when he was getting limited ice time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad