Shanahan's Plan to Restore Respectability

Is Toronto's reputation across the NHL better or worse than it was before Shanahan was hired?

• Better

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • Worse

Votes: 68 51.5%

• Total voters

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I voted better.

In terms of infrastructure, process, facilities, and system - he has undoubtedly had a positive impact on the organisation.

In terms of the core, on-ice product - he has failed.

It's entirely possible to build profitable, successful organisations that sell an inferior product. With pricing, marketing, and willing customers, businesses do this all the time - and thrive. The problem is that these companies are rarely market-leaders in their category or industry in spite of their success. This applies well to MLSE and the Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Keefe says the Leafs are getting massive respect in the handshake line.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Shanahan’s biggest blunder was thr “discounts” quote

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It has now been over 10 years since Shannon was hired to run this hockey team. One of the things he stated when he was hired was his desire to restore the reputation of the Toronto Maple Leafs as one of the NHL's premier clubs, instead of the laughing stock they had become under the leadership of Burke and Nonis. After yet another failed season, the question has to be asked. In the last decade, under Shanahan's leadership, has this franchise's reputation actually improved or gotten worse?

On one hand, certainly, our regular seasons are better. We have star talent who can win some individual trophies and accolades. We actually do make the playoffs every year. However, on the other hand, the amount of embarrassing and humiliating losses accumulated under the Shanahan regime, in both the regular season and the playoffs, far surpass anything experienced during the Burke years.

In my opinion, our reputation as a joke and an afterthought team across the league has increased tenfold under Shanahan and it should cost him his job - and it should have happened years ago, to be quite honest.
First off, I do not like Shanahan at all. He cannot be gone soon enough for me. But to answer your question fairly, I would have to say he did improve Toronto's reputation. John Tavares was the first legitimate all star to sign in Toronto as a UFA (yes, he was overpaid, but he did take less than what he could have gotten elsewhere). He was able to bring back former Leafs, Dave Keon for one, who had not been treated fairly by former ownership/management once they had retired, in other words, he was showing how important these players were to fans and the more importantly the team, ie. the Leafs.

For those two things alone, that is why I had to answer yes to the question. In terms of being able to build a legitimate Cup contender especially with the talent he had, he failed miserably. Most of that was due to his continued undying belief in his "core" forwards, and not admitting that the team was too top heavy which made it hard to address other areas of weakness.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Shanahan's legacy - if it ends here - is overseeing one of the most futile playoff runs of any pro sports franchise ever.

No one is going to remember that the Leafs finished 3rd in their division 5 or 6 times, or that year they set a Leafs record for most points in a season (to my point: Has anyone claimed that team was the best Leafs team ever? Even close?). What people will remember is the consecutive game 7 losses to the Bruins, the humiliating collapse to the Habs and how every year they just re-ran the same plan praying it would work out this time.

Short version: He's going to be remembered as the guy that wasted the prime years of the some of the greatest hockey talent this team has ever had.
You had me up until the last paragraph. Shanahan has been shit, but so have these 4 uber talented players that disappear every April. They're doing just fine wasting talent on their own

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The best decision I ever made was becoming a Leafs fan.

Tying my mental and emotional wellbeing to an ever fluctuating group of rich kids who don’t know or care I exist was a brilliant idea. Right up there with trying to run away to join the circus as a kid. I wanted to be a clown.

🤡 🤡 🤡

I should have just went to work for ML$E.

The whole front office is rubber noses with shoes too big to fit. When the Leafs were biggest joke in the league for missing the playoffs all those years the losing was easy to stomach because expected. Now that they're the biggest joke in the league for a different reason it's a lot harder to swallow because fans had such high expectations.

Then these bozo's served themselves another pie in the face.

I think everybody at some point has wanted to be a clown. It's a more honourable occupation than politician. All the world loves a clown.

Except when they're running your favourite team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He actually wanted to bring Dubas back. For that alone he should be fired , total clown show.

Because he is the fake GM milking it. They all understand a coach gets a replacement Assistant or two as grace. A GM gets a replacement coach. A president gets like 3 coaches, 2 GMs worth of replacement.

The president position is the biggest BS position in hockey. Its the real GM for snakes. 10 years and he is still here. Of course he wanted his puppet boy here still. Larrrry I didn't have my replacement GM yet, trust the plan. Like honestly, go F your trust, show some Fing results MFR.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
As a player who knew how to play the game I would gave thought he could identify players who are capable of stepping up.
After watching this round of playoff hockey I mentally went through our lineup considering which ones are capable of playing that kind of tough, fast hockey. I guessed maybe half.
Shanny allowed Dubas to fall in love with skilled softer players, example , choosing Mitchy and Reilly over Hyman for long term deals.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Missed playoffs 8 of 9 years before shanny arrived, made playoffs 8 of 10 (the last 8 straight years), even won a round. So not great but definitely better.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Missed playoffs 8 of 9 years before shanny arrived, made playoffs 8 of 10 (the last 8 straight years), even won a round. So not great but definitely better.

A better team isn't what we were promised.

We were promised a cup. Just because the team is better than it was when Shanahan arrived doesn't mean it's good enough. Losing in the first round seven of the eight times you make the playoffs during your tenure should be a fireable offense for any executive in the NHL.

Let lone one in charge of bringing a cup to what should be the flagship franchise of the entire hockey world.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
A better team isn't what we were promised.

We were promised a cup. Just because the team is better than it was when Shanahan arrived doesn't mean it's good enough. Losing in the first round seven of the eight times you make the playoffs during your tenure should be a fireable offense for any executive in the NHL.

Let lone one in charge of bringing a cup to what should be the flagship franchise of the entire hockey world.
It’s better than 1/2 the teams, I thought Shanny said respectability I didn’t know he promised a Cup.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He's made positive changes considering how bad it was before.

BUT he's also now started implementing negative changes that have created a childish environment within the organization. They're stubborn and behave like the Arizona Coyotes or an organization that is satisfied with a playoff round.

No clue why he thinks it's okay to pamper a core and coach that has stunk it up as much as this one. It's bizarre. Don't forget he was also more than ready to bring back Dubas before the press conference.
You are 100%. Either this is good enough for him or he has no idea what to do next

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Start with a bunch of teenagers and young vets.
Matthews Marner Nylander Rielly kadri JVR
Hyman brown kapanen and johnsson.
Young, fast,skilled.
What you need are d men.
Draft or trade for them and you’re on your way.’
So they sign Tavares who wasn’t close to being a superstar.
That’s why we are here.
Gross incompetence!
Yup. We had so much promise and in 1 crappy move Dubas sent the entire build on a path of mediocrity. I would sure love to know if that and the “we can and we will” mentality around the core was all Dubas or Shanny behind the scenes

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It’s better than 1/2 the teams, I thought Shanny said respectability I didn’t know he promised a Cup.

He sure did.

At his lowest point, Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan still promises the Stanley Cup​

"When I came here, I was tasked with rebuilding the organization and bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto. I haven't accomplished that yet".

And it's looking more and more like he never will.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He sure did.

At his lowest point, Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan still promises the Stanley Cup​

"When I came here, I was tasked with rebuilding the organization and bringing a Stanley Cup to Toronto. I haven't accomplished that yet".

And it's looking more and more like he never will.
Well that was a tall order, thanks I never realized he said he would win a Cup. Anyway I did say we haven’t been great but being a perennial playoff team we have been respectable.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I made a poll midway through the season about who is the biggest joke of the league. Arizona won with us getting second. One of those franchises just got a new life and we can happily claim the title of biggest joke in the league now. So from biggest joke in the league to... biggest joke in the league. Ya good job with the Shanaplan bro. f*** off at your earliest convenience, thanks.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
There has been a shift in our culture for the better. There have been decisions made to right those decisions that haven't borne out in post-season success. We are talking about the smallest of margins for error with top tier organizations.

A return to more traditional managerial models with a more experienced group and a potential windfall in cap might be the turning point we've been waiting for, one which several organizations without 1/10th the media/public pressure this club has to shoulder.

Before Detroit won the Cup, Yzerman was headed for Ottawa. Before the Capitals won the Cup, Ovechkin's worth was questioned repeatedly.

Note: All the praise heaped on Treliving doesn't happen without Shanahan's decision.
Our tank for Matthews doesn't happen without Shanahan.
If Berube gets us into deeper playoffs waters...Better be a lot of people revising their derision for the man.

We wouldn't be the fanbase we are without our double-standards. But I think we are close enough to turning a corner on all fronts where our tradition also sees a return to a more serious-minded collective that can see the merits of good work and have the humility to admit when we might have been a little too temperamental with some of our targets.

Eager to see what Berube brings.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There has been a shift in our culture for the better. There have been decisions made to right those decisions that haven't borne out in post-season success. We are talking about the smallest of margins for error with top tier organizations.

A return to more traditional managerial models with a more experienced group and a potential windfall in cap might be the turning point we've been waiting for, one which several organizations without 1/10th the media/public pressure this club has to shoulder.

Before Detroit won the Cup, Yzerman was headed for Ottawa. Before the Capitals won the Cup, Ovechkin's worth was questioned repeatedly.

Note: All the praise heaped on Treliving doesn't happen without Shanahan's decision.
Our tank for Matthews doesn't happen without Shanahan.
If Berube gets us into deeper playoffs waters...Better be a lot of people revising their derision for the man.

We wouldn't be the fanbase we are without our double-standards. But I think we are close enough to turning a corner on all fronts where our tradition also sees a return to a more serious-minded collective that can see the merits of good work and have the humility to admit when we might have been a little too temperamental with some of our targets.

Eager to see what Berube brings.
What are the double standards you refer to? Winning championships is the only measure in every professional sport. I think leaf fans want that measure.

Making the playoffs 8 times with this core is pretty good, but they pissed away their chances. I don't think being up 3-1 vs MTL/BOS and then losing the series was too high a standard for TOR. They needed to put them away and failed.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
There are still so many holes to the basic structure of the team. Some have been saying for 8 yrs that you have to properly build a team through draft and development.
I hope they don’t use the cap space on older UFA players that are nearing the end, but I fear that’s what they’ll do.
Kyle only left Brad with the option of building through UFAs. The trade, drafting and developing options were fully destroyed by the previous GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad