Confirmed with Link: Sens sign free agent Jiri Smejkal 1 year ELC

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I guess an insurance policy should Sokolov get picked up on waivers. Sounds like the same player

Reactions: armani

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I guess an insurance policy should Sokolov get picked up on waivers. Sounds like the same player

We shouldn’t be losing Sokolov on waivers, I see him at least start the season in Ottawa. He looked fine in the limited minutes he was allocated. I learned that he does have Shark like instincts when it comes to causing an offensive turnover. Good offensive instincts, skating is a work in progress.

We may have space for both of these guys as 12/13. With a sneaky chance that they want to try one of them out with Pinto depending on their start to the season.

So long Stone Cold Auston Watson.

Reactions: bert

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Smart of Smejkal to sign here. Might just have to beat out Kelly for the 4th line LW role.

Worst case scenario he's a good AHLer for Belleville.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Good signing. Low risk, higher reward, I want more of these from Dorion or any GM in charge of this team. The bar to make the 4th line is pretty low and if this guy can make it, we odn't have to waste assets acquiring help.

If Sokolov or another internal player makes the big club, Smejkal can cook in the AHL and get a call up eventually.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
the brassards and hamonics of today are not the brassards and hamonics of past days. need young energetic legs with skill, not old guys barely hanging on.
Brassard was 12&10 this year. He didn’t barely hang out. He was unreal value lol. If this random dude is that. He’s a homerun euro free agent signing

Reactions: Alfie11

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brassard was 12&10 this year. He didn’t barely hang out. He was unreal value lol. If this random dude is that. He’s a homerun euro free agent signing

Brassard was producing when he was put on the power play and played with guys like Giroux, Batherson, DeBrincat, etc. Anyone can score on the power play, even scrubs, and 10 of his 23 points were on the power play. So, that's 13 points at even strength in 62 games while being slow and a little soft, which is Gambrell and Watson territory.

That's unreal value?

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Only concern i guess is his speed which has been noted.
Hopefully he does wind sprints all summer for some fast feet

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1683321261297.png

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pronman had him ranked six in his recent list of undrafted FA's

"He’s a big, powerful winger with good skills who can help on both special teams. His skating is just OK and whether he will score in North America is a question, but his style lends itself to a real chance to play NHL games."
I wonder what is meant by "skating is just OK" and "his style lends itself to a real chance to play NHL games"?

Makes him seem to be "slow" and "can take a hit because of his size".

Hoping for the best but . . .

We shouldn’t be losing Sokolov on waivers, I see him at least start the season in Ottawa. He looked fine in the limited minutes he was allocated. I learned that he does have Shark like instincts when it comes to causing an offensive turnover. Good offensive instincts, skating is a work in progress.

We may have space for both of these guys as 12/13. With a sneaky chance that they want to try one of them out with Pinto depending on their start to the season.

So long Stone Cold Auston Watson.

Does Smejkal have the rep that Watson has re: physicality and fighting?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pronman had him ranked six in his recent list of undrafted FA's

"He’s a big, powerful winger with good skills who can help on both special teams. His skating is just OK and whether he will score in North America is a question, but his style lends itself to a real chance to play NHL games."
I don't have much confidence that a big slow winger could play NHL hockey on the PK. I also doubt he will be on the Senator's PP.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A free wallet and under a million. Worth the gamble.

But yeah...lack of footspeed might be his downfall, if those videos properly represent his speed.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Hopefully we have another Zub-like late developing diamond in the rough.

I guess he had a look at the Sens' bottom 6, and saw an opportunity to make the team, just like how Zub looked at our defense corps a few years ago and saw a chance to make it.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad