Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Jacob Bernard-Docker (2 years, $805,000 AAV)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you're asking me, I think it was incidental, but Greig looked like he finished his check so a bit of an accidentally on purpose look to it, I don't blame the refs for calling it.

I agree we kind of unravelled after that, though I'd argue to flaccid PPs early in the second were more detrimental, that play certainly started the ball rolling.
It's a chicken and egg thing.

Yes, the PP cost us. But we went into the locker room tied instead of up one. Confidence versus doubt.

Reactions: Micklebot

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's a chicken and egg thing.

Yes, the PP cost us. But we went into the locker room tied instead of up one. Confidence versus doubt.
If the team folds because of that then tear it down again.

That is letting the team off the hook, big time. Incidental contact and Greig, being a rookie, gets the gate - could easily not been called at all.

In 2 years he can play the same style and won't get called on 1/2 the plays he is now.

We need much more Greig, not less.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If the team folds because of that then tear it down again.

That is letting the team off the hook, big time. Incidental contact and Greig, being a rookie, gets the gate - could easily not been called at all.

In 2 years he can play the same style and won't get called on 1/2 the plays he is now.

We need much more Greig, not less.
I don't agree with this. I think we're a young team that's still trying to learn to win. I think last year's roster was the first where we've had a strong enough roster for that learning to begin.

I was at the Carolina game. It's the first game we've been outplayed in 5. And at that, we had the better of the first. But it's been off the rails in here since that loss.

It's discouraging. I was pumped going to that game and we had a great first.

We do need more Greig. Right now he's got a shit disturber rep. I agree 2 years from now that he likely isn't called there.

The team is inconsistent and learning to win. But I don't think it's inconsistent in terms of winning, it's inconsistent in terms of dominating. It's close. And they might figure it out permanently. Then again they might not.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't agree with this. I think we're a young team that's still trying to learn to win. I think last year's roster was the first where we've had a strong enough roster for that learning to begin.

I was at the Carolina game. It's the first game we've been outplayed in 5. And at that, we had the better of the first. But it's been off the rails in here since that loss.

It's discouraging. I was pumped going to that game and we had a great first.

We do need more Greig. Right now he's got a shit disturber rep. I agree 2 years from now that he likely isn't called there.

The team is inconsistent and learning to win. But I don't think it's inconsistent in terms of winning, it's inconsistent in terms of dominating. It's close. And they might figure it out permanently. Then again they might not.
I'm saying to blame Greig is nonsense.

I agree there is room for growth but being tied after 1 period, specifically after playing well for a few games in a row, shouldn't lead to a meltdown.

2nd periods have been an issue for a few years now, and they need to get over it.

Reactions: bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
JBD to me has been our most improved player under Martin.

Hes playing smart, physical, and sacrificing his body.

Finding his niche to stick in the league and maybe hold down a bottom pair spot moving forwards
He is playing the game like he did in Belleville. It just takes time with some guys. He should keep getting better. You can tell Sanderson likes playing along side of him.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He is not good and I don't get what others see in him.

Even for a bottom pairing defenceman he doesn't do anything well.
At the midpoint of the season I remember posting that I was disappointed that JBD just didn’t seem to have what it takes to be NHL player. Decision-making was too slow, too many pucks up the boards to an opponent waiting, etc.

I thought the last 25% of the season (or so) he was finally putting it together and looked like a serviceable bottom pair RHD, even if he found himself up the lineup at times due to injury. Probably a combination of the game slowing down for a bit and the Martin effect with better support in the forwards giving him outlet options more often than not. But he also looked more calm and composed with the puck and even showed some elusiveness at times, which wasn’t something I noticed before.

Gives me hope he will continue to progress to the level of a good third line D on a good team, so I’m not sure I would toss him yet (not that you suggested this). There are other areas that desperately need to be addressed, JBD will not cost extra $$.

R2010

May 23, 2011
At the midpoint of the season I remember posting that I was disappointed that JBD just didn’t seem to have what it takes to be NHL player. Decision-making was too slow, too many pucks up the boards to an opponent waiting, etc.

I thought the last 25% of the season (or so) he was finally putting it together and looked like a serviceable bottom pair RHD, even if he found himself up the lineup at times due to injury. Probably a combination of the game slowing down for a bit and the Martin effect with better support in the forwards giving him outlet options more often than not. But he also looked more calm and composed with the puck and even showed some elusiveness at times, which wasn’t something I noticed before.

Gives me hope he will continue to progress to the level of a good third line D on a good team, so I’m not sure I would toss him yet (not that you suggested this). There are other areas that desperately need to be addressed, JBD will not cost extra $$.

I think if we let him go he'll play in a top six somewhere. If Andreas Englund can play for a playoff team than JBD will. He's good enough to be a #6.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I think he's borderline bust territory.

Passing on Kandre Miller is a bad mistake

Another Dorion blunder

Sure. But at the time it was good value on a trade back. We just picked the wrong players.

Defensive options we had on the board at #26 before #48:
[28] Nils Lundkvist;
[29] Rasmus Sandin;
[32] Mattias Samuelsson;
[38] Alexander Romanov;
[46] Martin Fehervary;

Options we had on the board in the 2nd round after #48:
[49] Kirill Marchenko;
[52] Sean Durzi;
[53] Calen Addison;
[55] Kevin Bahl;
[60] David Gustavsson;

Leafs did the exact same thing as us and ended up with Sandin & Durzi...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sure. But at the time it was good value on a trade back. We just picked the wrong players.

Defensive options we had on the board at #26 before #48:
[28] Nils Lundkvist;
[29] Rasmus Sandin;
[32] Mattias Samuelsson;
[38] Alexander Romanov;
[46] Martin Fehervary;

Options we had on the board in the 2nd round after #48:
[49] Kirill Marchenko;
[52] Sean Durzi;
[53] Calen Addison;
[55] Kevin Bahl;
[60] David Gustavsson;

Leafs did the exact same thing as us and ended up with Sandin & Durzi...
Very good value if you were racist. What other reason is there to take those players over a two way 6’5” top 4 dman?

Yes I knew at the time. Yes Miller is who I would have taken and who I wanted and was expecting us to take. Before you say “retrospect “. Terrible drafting again.

Reactions: Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, he’s getting paid $805k. The expectation for some is that we find a decent/good defender to play on the bottom pair and of course pay them less than 1 million. Easy to say, but tougher to actually do.

Reactions: dpw

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD led the team in blocked shots in his first full season with the team, he also showed some ability to get the puck out & get the puck on net offensively. I expect that he will continue to improve as he matures & gets physically bigger & stronger to be able to win more board battles & clear the front of his net. I view him as a good reliable defensive defenceman that should help this team reduce their goals against & block more shots. He has already passed Hamonic for that last RD spot.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sens had a thin prospect pool were short on picks due to previous trades. They got good value to move down, which says that the Rangers likely had Miller very high.

With the benefit of hindsight Miller isn't even available in that spot.

Trading down also doesn't mean that the Senators didn't have Miller as the BPA at that spot. Teams sometimes have tiers of guys who are close together, or a few different options where they know they will get one.

If you go back to the 2015 draft, the Leafs offered Columbus 4 for 8, 34, 38, and 58. Columbus seemingly didn't take it because they seemed to indicate in the draft video that they had a good chance at getting one of the D at 8. So not trading up didn't mean they had Werenski higher than Hanifin, only that it wasn't worth burning those assets to get the BPA when their choice at 8 would fill a similar organizational need.ecen of inferior.

Sens clearly wanted to get a 1st round tier D but also needed to maximize assets. Dorion was still trying to trade back from the JBD position but got boxed in where Mann didn't want him to move back because they would risk dropping another tier..

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
It be such a classic Sens move to give up on JBD. Our team is one of the most short sighted visions in league.

. The amount of players we've given up on that turned to be players, as one mentioned, Englund. Remember how he sucked and would never play an NHL game. Turns out he's a pretty good 6/7 d-man. Who knew?! Stefan Noesen, remember that bum and bust of a pick? Boucher is our modern version of Noesen btw. You all throw him under the bus, but he will be a player in this league.

I'd go on on this list of players, but I see no need to relish in disappointment. Especially when this boards full of negative minded people who couldn't enjoy the sun on a beach, because one clouds covering the sky for the two minutes you've arrived, and couldn't sit still those two minutes till it passed back into the blue sky.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It be such a classic Sens move to give up on JBD. Our team is one of the most short sighted visions in league.

. The amount of players we've given up on that turned to be players, as one mentioned, Englund. Remember how he sucked and would never play an NHL game. Turns out he's a pretty good 6/7 d-man. Who knew?! Stefan Noesen, remember that bum and bust of a pick? Boucher is our modern version of Noesen btw. You all throw him under the bus, but he will be a player in this league.

I'd go on on this list of players, but I see no need to relish in disappointment. Especially when this boards full of negative minded people who couldn't enjoy the sun on a beach, because one clouds covering the sky for the two minutes you've arrived, and couldn't sit still those two minutes till it passed back into the blue sky.

JBD was on waivers and no claimed him - not even San Jose

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
JBD was on waivers and no claimed him - not even San Jose

So, Hoffman was on waivers, noone claimed him, then became a stud. The list of waiver clearance players who become quality NHLers is near infinite. Terrible rebuttal is terrible

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So, Hoffman was on waivers, noone claimed him, then became a stud. The list of waiver clearance players who become quality NHLers is near infinite. Terrible rebuttal is terrible

I understand now, you think Mike Hoffmann is a stud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad