Value of: Sedins to Detroit scenario

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Detroit just lost out on Stamkos they now lack a top 6 scoring threat down the middle and have some cap space thanks to Arizona. With aging top players in Zetterberg and Kronwall and a youth ovement on the door step in the next year or two. Detroit makes sense to go after big ticket players to fill gaps to continue to compete for a playoff spot.

Vancouver atm looks like free agents may not want to come here after all. With Lucic off the list and Okposo ,Eriksson and Ladd seeming less and less likely to sign here there isn't much players left that can help Van over this hump ownership seems to think they can limp over.After the FA frenzy dust settles ownership may be forced to actually ok a rebuild instead of retooling.

Athaniasou, Mantha and Larkin are more than likely off the table from Det and Vans 1st is off the table as well. I'm going to throw something at the wall and maybe it will stick, if not whatevs let's here what you think.

Detroit receives
Sedins 35% retained
Prospect
(Probably another roster player here to balance out roster number)

Vancouver receives
Ouellet
Pulkinen
Sproul
1st 2017
Vitale
Franzen

Canucks end up with dead weight (franzen may play another season) in order to hit the cap floor and recieve great prospects that have fallen down the depth chart in Detroit and would be given the minutes and spots to play in Van. Van also recieves a much needed 1st round pick.

Detroit receives 2 first line players with godly chemistry that would fair very well in that east division on discount rate. Sedins will start to decline but the way they play the game will easily be able to put up points and play against opponents top lines. They alson only have a year after this one left so Detroit won't be left on the hook.

i definitely think it makes sense to deal the sedins if you can get them to agree... but detroit makes no sense to me as a desination.

you need a young team that can turn the corner over night and has a leadership void that the sedins could fill for a couple years.

edmonton and buffalo jump out as the 2 possible desinations.

if edmonton trades hopkins to get the sedins you have immediate protection for mcdavid... the preasure on draisailt is hugely decreased and he probably gets to move back to wing.

in buffalo its the same story... im guessing reinhart would be the guy getting shipped back.

either way vancouver clearly is in rebuild with a top 2 type pick center. im sure they have to eat some cap hit but thats not a huge problem for a total rebuilding team.

frankly if the sedins were ufa this year i wouldnt recommend vancouver sign them. the twins are good enough to cost you 5 spots or more in the draft. at this point vancouver should trade them for the best premium building block they can get back

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Sedins retire Canucks - but carry on with your fantasies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit just lost out on Stamkos they now lack a top 6 scoring threat down the middle and have some cap space thanks to Arizona. With aging top players in Zetterberg and Kronwall and a youth ovement on the door step in the next year or two. Detroit makes sense to go after big ticket players to fill gaps to continue to compete for a playoff spot.

Vancouver atm looks like free agents may not want to come here after all. With Lucic off the list and Okposo ,Eriksson and Ladd seeming less and less likely to sign here there isn't much players left that can help Van over this hump ownership seems to think they can limp over.After the FA frenzy dust settles ownership may be forced to actually ok a rebuild instead of retooling.

Athaniasou, Mantha and Larkin are more than likely off the table from Det and Vans 1st is off the table as well. I'm going to throw something at the wall and maybe it will stick, if not whatevs let's here what you think.

Detroit receives
Sedins 35% retained
Prospect

Vancouver receives
Ouellet
Pulkinen
Sproul
1st 2017
Vitale
Franzen

Canucks end up with dead weight (franzen may play another season) in order to hit the cap floor and recieve great prospects that have fallen down the depth chart in Detroit and would be given the minutes and spots to play in Van. Van also recieves a much needed 1st round pick.

Detroit receives 2 first line players with godly chemistry that would fair very well in that east division on discount rate. Sedins will start to decline but the way they play the game will easily be able to put up points and play against opponents top lines. They alson only have a year after this one left so Detroit won't be left on the hook.
No thanks weren't giving up our 1st rounder for aging Sedin Twins and besides weren't Sedin Twins away for making a strong playoff push here no thanks.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Sedins retire Canucks - but carry on with your fantasies.

Even if they do get traded .. which is most unlikely .. they would come back after their two years and
sign for a day and then retire as Canucks. Would or could be a win win win … in an ideal world!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Canucks aren't going to move the Sedins.

But if they were going to, it certainly wouldn't be for a package of scraps, spare parts, a cap dump, and a mid-1st round pick. :laugh:

The Sedins are still capable Top-40 type scorers in the NHL. You don't get effectively an entire 1st line in a box setup for a package of castoffs, fringe bits, cap-dumps and a mediocre pick.

And that's not even factoring in what the Sedins mean to Vancouver, the fact they don't want to leave, and the fact that the mandate in Vancouver is clearly to push for the playoffs.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Would Sedins waive NMC for Detroit? And they would need to agree to waive their NMC for expansion draft beforehand. After that, I'd do this deal.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The whole thing is dependent on Canucks owner Aquilini. He seems set on keeping them. To this end, they will add Eriksson, to compliment them.

If they fail to attract any Sedin support, they have some thinking to do. Sedins unsupported were pounded into irrelevance last season. They started out displaying new slowness and with injuries, came to a stop. This can be repeated or they can move on.

Later this Summer, Sedin to Panthers, Rangers or Wings makes a lot of sense. Sedins can compete and Vancouver can rebuild. I doubt Canucks retain any salary. I do not expect godly return. A first and second round pick and a young NHL player would be in line with reality, I think and it maybe too much. They might not bring any return at all, they might be given away to chase rings.

In the end its a hard sell. They insist on staying together. This might not be a fit. They'd be easier to trade as individuals. Henrik, with two speedy wingers, might be a serious threat. Daniel with speedy centering is a deft goalscorer and can go to eighty points. Together they might produce fifty (Daniel) and sixty points as second liners, playing sheltered minutes. As a top line, I think they are less effective and can no longer escape close checking.

Henrik Sedin on his own would benefit teams with superstar wingers. A super set-up man, he'd be great in some situations. Imagine Henrik saucering passes to Ovechkin.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Vancouver wants to completely rebuild then trading the Sedins would do that. Yeah they're 36 but they still have some value.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Detroit receives
Sedins 35% retained
Prospect

Vancouver receives
Ouellet
Pulkinen
Sproul
1st 2017
Vitale
Franzen

Holy crap that is a terrible return for Vancouver. A few mediocre pieces, a big cap dump, and a mid-late 1st for two 1st liners with $4.9M retained? Such an easy pass.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'll take the Sedins for that easy. First round pick is useless cause we'll be competitive with the sedins. Lol

Group Chat Legend*

What an awful deal for Vancouver

You can't keep your best assets off the table and expect to gain their best players

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Detroit is saying no to the Sedins @ 4.9mil each for a mid-late first round pick and 4 players wont will never be impact players in the NHL.

Really?

Sedins are going to be getting 70 points next year.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Only way I can see the Sedin's moving is at the trade deadline in 2018 at 50% retained to a contender.

Signing Eriksson to term suggests a Sedin extension. Eriksson is getting paid to extend Sedin careers, IMO. I think they'll be extended two more seasons for the same money.

niel094

Jan 13, 2011
Sedins won't bring in any young players in return. They've already Slowed as seen last season and regardless of Eriksson or not they'll be as good as last season at most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad