OT: Seats?? First Pens home game

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So am FINALLY coming to Pittsburgh this year to watch 2 home games (vs FLA and MTL in late Jan). Don't care for either team... but those two games are the only ones that remotely line up with my vacation (trip to Europe to watch the World Juniors) - so it's those two games.

So... where to sit? First thought for a budget friendly but decent seat is row A of the upper deck. Any section's better than others? I have some options, but need 4 tickets together, so it's limited.

I'll have more freedom with the Friday game vs FLA as it'll likely just be myself and I can sit where ever.

Thoughts/suggestions before I buy tickets?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Great to hear from you again, Riptide. I bought seats last season in, I’m going to say, 202 or 203, maybe 5 or 8 rows up…during the week and they were $80/seat or so…good seats…would highly recommend sitting in the middle of the rink, although I’d guess the ends are cheaper, but no problem catching all the action from our seats…enjoy…I’m hoping to get there in December or January for a game as well

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Its been a while... went from the easy M-F 8-4 basically sitting there waiting for something to break... to 700 hrs of overtime this year and on the road most days. Love the job, and like the money (especially with all the home reno's I decided to do this summer and (found out today)... new washer and dryer) and the EU trip... but it doesn't leave me a lot of time to bs about hockey like before.

I've typically really enjoyed seats on the corners... not such a good idea here? Or is that just a personal preference thing?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Its been a while... went from the easy M-F 8-4 basically sitting there waiting for something to break... to 700 hrs of overtime this year and on the road most days. Love the job, and like the money (especially with all the home reno's I decided to do this summer and (found out today)... new washer and dryer) and the EU trip... but it doesn't leave me a lot of time to bs about hockey like before.

I've typically really enjoyed seats on the corners... not such a good idea here? Or is that just a personal preference thing?
personal preference I guess….it’s fine to have better things to do than be on this board all day lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So am FINALLY coming to Pittsburgh this year to watch 2 home games (vs FLA and MTL in late Jan). Don't care for either team... but those two games are the only ones that remotely line up with my vacation (trip to Europe to watch the World Juniors) - so it's those two games.

So... where to sit? First thought for a budget friendly but decent seat is row A of the upper deck. Any section's better than others? I have some options, but need 4 tickets together, so it's limited.

I'll have more freedom with the Friday game vs FLA as it'll likely just be myself and I can sit where ever.

Thoughts/suggestions before I buy tickets?

Just happy you are getting to finally go. If anyone deserves to see the Penguins live it is a fan like you. Congrats and hope everything is good.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One of my favorite posters, we agree probably about 80% of the time, which tells me you know what you're talking about. lol

Love your enthusiasm for the team and knowledge of the game. Have a great trip to Pit and over to Sweden. Great to see you posting Rip!

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

PPG is a nice arena, state of the art with the new scoreboard, you should have a great time. Not really a bad seat, although depends on what you are use to. View above post. Shoulda quoted you.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Riptide I recommend sitting row A upper deck anywhere on the side they score on twice. But don't be discouraged if you are a row or two up. I've pretty much seated all around the rink and there's few bad ones. Those tend to be lower bowl where you have the stair railing blocking/obstructing your view a bit in the corners.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I recommend sitting next to this dude, if at all possible:

ah-ha-trolls-have-obviously-won-boy-v0-xc2u5dibh2pb1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
@Riptide I recommend sitting row A upper deck anywhere on the side they score on twice. But don't be discouraged if you are a row or two up. I've pretty much seated all around the rink and there's few bad ones. Those tend to be lower bowl where you have the stair railing blocking/obstructing your view a bit in the corners.
That was the plan (row A). Thanks. This trip can't come soon enough.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I rather sit any Row A seat in the upper deck than anywhere down below. They are usually what I aim for.

And If I can't get row A, then Lexus Club seats are awfully convenient. Even just for the quick bathrooms and bar access. Would recommend.

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
I havent been to a game in years, but will this year. I just need to know where is the best place to park?
I typically park by the Convention Center. Basically follow 10th St towards the river and take the first right after you cross Penn Ave on Google Maps. There are always spots there. It's a bit of a walk and can be annoying in the winter, but if the weather is mild I actually enjoy the walk.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I typically park by the Convention Center. Basically follow 10th St towards the river and take the first right after you cross Penn Ave on Google Maps. There are always spots there. It's a bit of a walk and can be annoying in the winter, but if the weather is mild I actually enjoy the walk.
I worry about safety as i will have my kids with me.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I havent been to a game in years, but will this year. I just need to know where is the best place to park?

Pay the 15 to 20 bucks and park along 5th avenue. The closer you get to PPG the more it costs. Lots of people walking that way and probably way safer too. Parking on the same side of the street as PPG is a walk up to 2 to 4 streets depending how much you pay. If you want to try your luck with the kids you can get there early and wait for players to get auto's at their parking garage entrance.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I park in the Chatham parking garage on 5th behind/below the Marriott a lot of the time and never have much trouble. A bit of traffic getting out, but it's not that bad.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
My favorite place to sit is on the end the pens shoot twice and the upper bowl, right at the glass. Like sections 206-216 in the first row of any. You have more leg room and can lean over, plus the seats are cheaper and you see everything.

I also park up past the stadium/hotel, make a right and it’s immediately on your left. It’s historically cheaper and not a far walk.

I only go to a couple games a year, but that’s what I do anyway.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Late to this thread but let me just give some suggestions:

1) Club seating is the best.. it's between blue line to blue line. You get your own bathrooms. It's worth the price IMO. If pricing isn't an issue, I really recommend section 102. Or the similar on the other side. The secret to this - do not sit super low. Low is not better. Sit in the back 2/3 of the lower bowl. Best way to watch hockey.

2) If pricing is an issue but you want great seats, I do recommend anything lower bowl. Sometimes behind the net can be relatively cheaper. My only suggestion is sit higher in the lower bowl. It gives a better view of the ice and the play. Sitting too low is not my favorite. You lose it i the glass.

Underrated best seat in the house is last couple of rows in lower bowl behind the net. Man you get a GREAT x's and o's version of the game.

3) I do not recommend upper bowl. If you just want to get to the arena... fine. The upper bowl IMO feels too far away from everything. I would rather not go to a game than sit upper bowl. Just my opinion. I've declined free seats before. I'd rather watch the game on tv.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

1) Club seating is the best.. it's between blue line to blue line. You get your own bathrooms. It's worth the price IMO. If pricing isn't an issue, I really recommend section 102. Or the similar on the other side. The secret to this - do not sit super low. Low is not better. Sit in the back 2/3 of the lower bowl. Best way to watch hockey.

2) If pricing is an issue but you want great seats, I do recommend anything lower bowl. Sometimes behind the net can be relatively cheaper. My only suggestion is sit higher in the lower bowl. It gives a better view of the ice and the play. Sitting too low is not my favorite. You lose it i the glass.

Underrated best seat in the house is last couple of rows in lower bowl behind the net. Man you get a GREAT x's and o's version of the game.

3) I do not recommend upper bowl. If you just want to get to the arena... fine. The upper bowl IMO feels too far away from everything. I would rather not go to a game than sit upper bowl. Just my opinion. I've declined free seats before. I'd rather watch the game on tv.

Row A in the upper bowl has a lot of advantages and just as good of x's/o's if not better. You do not have one instance of detractors of fans sitting in front of you being super tall or just the nuisance of standing for average plays, getting up while play is happening blocking your view. That's part of the issue being in the lower bowl. Club seats, sure, a lot of advantages there for a price. Just remember you are there for a few hours and that cost ratio to enjoyment is a big deterrent for the average game goer and you add kids/family you're talking some serious cash per. game.

Edit: I do want to say the Pens do have enough diversity and cost factors to give anyone a good night at the games seating wise.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Cole when an upper bowler tries to give him their trash for free
really-i-cant.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad