Proposal: Sean Couturier ($2m retained) for Josh Anderson

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I believe that the relationship between coach and captain in Philadelphia has been ruined to the point that Briere will try to trade Couturier. He has 6 years left at $7.75m and an NMC, but I think he would waive to get away from Torts. Last season Briere showed he is prepared to eat a lot of money to move out guys that Torts has deemed to be problems, so I think retention would be possible.

Couturier (turns 32 in December) has 6 x $7.75m left -> $5.75m after retention

Anderson (just turned 30) has 3 x $5.5m left

Obviously, Montreal is taking on the long term risk on the back end of the deal. But if his body holds up they would be getting a very effective middle 6 center for 4-5 years at a reasonable cap hit. And even with how much he struggled to score after getting injured in January, Couturier did almost double Anderson's point total this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just think that Briere will do whatever he can to stop Torts bitching at him all summer. Last year he bought out Tony D, and traded Hayes with 50% retention for 3 years.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I believe Torts was in Columbus when Anderson had his best year, so maybe that sparks Anderson and gers him back up.

Definitely something to think about, however the double the term is still a bit concerning.

Reactions: cslebn and Jacob582

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Nahh no thx from the Habs.
Couturier doesn't fit the narrative.
I rather give Anderson away with some picks and prospect then getting a 6 years contracts for a past prime player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Maybe if MTL adds a 2nd, at the worst. More likely I'd want a 1st for that kind of retention for a top 6 C, team captain, and selke winner.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get why Philly wouldn't do this, but this also makes absolutely no sense for Montreal.

Betting on any player holding up into their mid to late 30s is generally a bad bet, and Couturier's body hasn't been holding up for years now. There's just too much term on the contract for it to make sense for the Habs.

Montreal doesn't really have a need to move Anderson right now regardless of how awful he was this season, and Couturier is just a much bigger risk, even with retention.

Reactions: pth2 and HuGo Sham

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I'd do it in a heartbeat for Montreal, highly doubt Flyers get this little for a retained Couturier, not to mention that no team is retaining 2M for 6 seasons, that's a lotta dead cap space and losing a retention spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I believe that the relationship between coach and captain in Philadelphia has been ruined to the point that Briere will try to trade Couturier. He has 6 years left at $7.75m and an NMC, but I think he would waive to get away from Torts. Last season Briere showed he is prepared to eat a lot of money to move out guys that Torts has deemed to be problems, so I think retention would be possible.

Couturier (turns 32 in December) has 6 x $7.75m left -> $5.75m after retention

Anderson (just turned 30) has 3 x $5.5m left

Obviously, Montreal is taking on the long term risk on the back end of the deal. But if his body holds up they would be getting a very effective middle 6 center for 4-5 years at a reasonable cap hit. And even with how much he struggled to score after getting injured in January, Couturier did almost double Anderson's point total this season.
Habs probably just keep Anderson or send him to Laval. They have 9.5 million caproom next year. Goes to 20 million if they put Carry Price on LTIR again

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I get why Philly wouldn't do this, but this also makes absolutely no sense for Montreal.

Betting on any player holding up into their mid to late 30s is generally a bad bet, and Couturier's body hasn't been holding up for years now. There's just too much term on the contract for it to make sense for the Habs.

Montreal doesn't really have a need to move Anderson right now regardless of how awful he was this season, and Couturier is just a much bigger risk, even with retention.
Absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, GM's continually make this bet, and in the Flyers case, double and triple down on it (Couturier, Ellis, soon to be TK)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you would get a lot more than Anderson for 2M retained Coutourier
I would think a lot of teams would be very interested at 5.75M with a rising cap.

Anderson had a horrible season last year. He's just not consistent and it's frustrating because he has multiple gears to his game.

I think he is a bit of a sook when he is not playing in the top 6 with talent. So if someone wants to trade for Anderson and get him at his best, don't play him bottom 6. If he plays 3rd line, at least make sure he has a good center to play with.

Type of player that needs motivation (unfortunately). But when he is on his game, he is very effective.

I think he shows up to camp this year ready. Not sure if the Habs trade him or not this summer. Both sides have to be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad