Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
AJcKB63.gif
Ha! Just rewatched that last night. :)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We agree on a lot of points here. I do disagree with you on the value of Pelech/Pulock around the NHL though. Which for that only time will tell. I hope as we head into the offseason and the rest of playoffs we can continue to have discussions with some actual substance like this.

Totally agree on discussion.

My take on Pelech/Pulock is less about the players (although Pulock has become incredibly average and Pelech is like half the player he used to be), and more about their contracts. Both are around 6M a year until 2029 and 2030 respectively. That's horrible for trade value and why I think they don't have any.

I mean if you're the Islanders and you even had 20+ million in cap space, why would you use up 6M of it for the next 6 years on an average defenseman who, in both cases, the skills will only erode during the remainder of the contracts?

You wouldn't...And that's the point as all teams will think this way.

When you can find someone like Mike Reilly off the scrap heap for nothing - Both in terms of assets given up and cap space taken up, then there's no way Pelech and Pulock have value.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

My take on Pelech/Pulock is less about the players (although Pulock has become incredibly average and Pelech is like half the player he used to be), and more about their contracts. Both are around 6M a year until 2029 and 2030 respectively. That's horrible for trade value and why I think they don't have any.

I mean if you're the Islanders and you even had 20+ million in cap space, why would you use up 6M of it for the next 6 years on an average defenseman who, in both cases, the skills will only erode during the remainder of the contracts?

When you can find someone like Mike Reilly off the scrap heap for nothing - Both in terms of assets given up and cap space taken up, then there's no way Pelech and Pulock have value.
The value of both Pelech and Pulock has diminished greatly no doubt but I believe both still have positive trade value. Pelech is more valuable given his (previous) status as a shutdown Dman.

While we can reference what Reilly has done for this squad in comparison to those other two players, that’s not particularly fair. Good luck finding another waiver wire pickup like him. You’re far more likely to get a Bortuzzo the next time you try it.

Reactions: Glory Days

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It is quite hard to gauge Pulock and Pelechs trade value due to their deals. Six more years is a long, long time, yet at the same time they'd easily get that if they were UFAs this offseason. I believe they can both be traded but it would be hugely complicated deals with lots of moving parts, unless the Isles are taking a similar contracts back straight up.

But, the problem with all the extensions Lou signed is not just term itself but the NMCs and NTCs that come with them. Unless they are going to a contender, why would these players even consider going elsewhere?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It is quite hard to gauge Pulock and Pelechs trade value due to their deals. Six more years is a long, long time, yet at the same time they'd easily get that if they were UFAs this offseason. I believe they can both be traded but it would be hugely complicated deals with lots of moving parts, unless the Isles are taking a similar contracts back straight up.

But, the problem with all the extensions Lou signed is not just term itself but the NMCs and NTCs that come with them. Unless they are going to a contender, why would these players even consider going elsewhere?
I think step 1 is to tell the player that they're not a good fit with what the new coach is trying to do, ie., they're not as valuable/wanted to the team as they were. Step 2 is to find a place that might be a good fit. So, say TOR wants a defensive LHD and the Isles GM works out a deal with Pelech going there. Does Pelech stay where he's not wanted or does he go "home" to TOR where he is wanted? Similar thing with Pulock and, say, VAN or WPG.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think step 1 is to tell the player that they're not a good fit with what the new coach is trying to do, ie., they're not as valuable/wanted to the team as they were. Step 2 is to find a place that might be a good fit. So, say TOR wants a defensive LHD and the Isles GM works out a deal with Pelech going there. Does Pelech stay where he's not wanted or does he go "home" to TOR where he is wanted? Similar thing with Pulock and, say, VAN or WPG.
Aren't NTC's fairly common/standard now? Pretty sure they're modified all the time. Just gives the player a little more leverage...

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
@periferal you asked in the GDT what I would do. Here it is:

1.) trade Pageau for anything. After being a part of a pretty solid line in the postseason I do not believe he is seen as a wasteful contract around the league. It will be a major mistake to hold onto him.

2.) Clutterbuck, Martin, Bortuzzo can all walk. I would be fine if Clutterbuck came back on a league minimum deal to be a part of the fourth line.

3.) Once Toronto gets eliminated trade Ryan Pulock, Matthew Maggio, and a 2024 1st for Nylander. Be willing to add more if needed.

4.) Resign Oliver Wahlstrom (1 year $1 per) Mike Rielly (2 years $2 per), Kyle Maclean (2 years $1 per), and Ruslan Ishakov (1 year $1 per).

5.) Go get a smooth skating defenseman such as Erik Gustafsson on as cheap of a deal as possible. This was a major mistake not keeping him and the team has not replaced the offensive skating ability of Leddy and Toews.

This roster would be right around $87.75 million which should be below the cap next season. Here is your lineup:

Barzal-Horvat-Nylander
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Ishakov-Cizikas-Engvall
Gauthier-Maclean-Fasching
Wahlstrom

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Mayfield
Rielly-Bolduc/Gustafsson

Sorokin
Varlamov

6.) At the trade deadline you add on to the defensive side of the puck preferably with someone to be on the second pairing. Be willing to pivot from one of Palmieri or Nelson if it does not seem they are staying/their game dips. You can always use the assets to add elsewhere in the lineup. At least one of these guys will have to walk to make room for the Romanov/Dobson contracts in the offseason.

7.) If anyone expects a plan for the following offseason that is looking too far into the future. How will Ishakov look? Wahlstrom? Will Bolduc actually get to play? Will Engvall play under Roy like this a full year? Do we have a new fourth line? Did Pelech stay healthy? What about Mayfield? Things should be fluid for the following offseason.

This roster does not include more than two trades. Getting rid of Pageau for anything and then making a trade for Nylander. Does this win a Cup? Honestly I do not know. I do think this roster is building towards having an offense that is more in tune with the current NHL though. I also believe that the defense does need more speed. Pelech and Mayfield worry me as that would be the main hole I see in this roster. Go ahead and kill the post but let's discuss the actual moves and not "LOU WOULD NEVER DO THIS."

Crazy / sad thing is that we already had Gustafsson in the building on a PTO just one season ago...

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Haven't seen anyone mention this:
1714424543411.png

According to this article, former Ottawa Senators prospect Marcus Högberg (6'5", 218 pounds) claims he's heading back to the NHL and the podcast he recently spoke to said their info is that he's joining the Islanders organization for next season. He's 29 and has been the go-to starter with a seriously heavy workload for the past 3 seasons for Linköping.

Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
View attachment 861875

According to this article, former Ottawa Senators prospect Marcus Högberg (6'5", 218 pounds) claims he's joining the Islanders organization for next season. He's 29 and has been the go-to starter with a seriously heavy workload for the past 3 seasons for Linköping.
Always good to have reinforcements.

However, I'm not sure I see the logic from his POV to sign with the Islanders. Unless Sorokin and/or Varlamov get hurt, he's not sniffing the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

However, I'm not sure I see the logic from his POV to sign with the Islanders. Unless Sorokin and/or Varlamov get hurt, he's not sniffing the NHL.
From his POV, he gets an NHL contract and a chance to get claimed off of waivers.

For all we know this could be his only NHL deal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
View attachment 861875

According to this article, former Ottawa Senators prospect Marcus Högberg (6'5", 218 pounds) claims he's heading back to the NHL and the podcast he recently spoke to said their info is that he's joining the Islanders organization for next season. He's 29 and has been the go-to starter with a seriously heavy workload for the past 3 seasons for Linköping.
Bye bye Ken Appleby.

Bext out the door, Jakub Skarek. Hopefully Worcester-bound.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Rielly looks great but he is also getting much easier minutes. Pulock is averaging 25 minutes per game. Pelech 22 minutes. Rielly is not even at 19 minutes per game. If Mike Rielly was a top four defenseman he would not have ever been placed on waivers.

Pulock is a step above Pelech and three steps about Rielly to me.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Rielly looks great but he is also getting much easier minutes. Pulock is averaging 25 minutes per game. Pelech 22 minutes. Rielly is not even at 19 minutes per game. If Mike Rielly was a top four defenseman he would not have ever been placed on waivers.

This isn't only reason why the initial argument doesn't even make sense. There are many, many. But, it is a good one.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I was thinking Pelech + for Marner.
Unless you are adding the Islanders next four 1st rounders into that deal, they have nothing to offer. Our cupboard is bare and there is hardly a prospect in our system interesting to other clubs.

Best way forward is to get rid of players like Palmieri, Pageau and Nelson, who are coming towards the end of their deals, and get picks, prospects and young NHLers in return. They may well want to play for a cup at the tailend of their careers, and might waive their NTCs.

But then again, these players have families, kids and wives who may not want to move to a different part of the country or even a different country, and start afresh with new friends and all. We just never know.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

If you see quotes from him it says, "Jag har sett det laget dela ut långtidskontrakt till andra spelare mer än någon annan GM och det är ekonomiskt vettigt för min familj att försöka få en av dem," which translates to basically, "I have seen that team hand out long term contracts to other players more than any other GM and it makes financial sense for my family to try to get one of them."

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Oh I agree...And if Pulock only had 2 years left on his deal as opposed to 6 then I'd agree he'd have some decent trade value.

Alas he is signed until 2030 (with an NTC that kicks in the last 3 years of a deal meaning any acquiring team will have even a harder time dumping his contract if his play falls off later), so when you take into account Pulock's financial/contract situation that really mitigates any real value he has.

And Pelech's situation is even worse as his 16-team NTC kicks in July 1, 2025 (when he still has 4 years left on his deal).

We're all out in the cheap seats proposing this move or that move that the Isles should do, but the reality of the situation is that Lou has boxed this team in a corner today and it's going to take literal years to undo the damage he's done.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If you see quotes from him it says, "Jag har sett det laget dela ut långtidskontrakt till andra spelare mer än någon annan GM och det är ekonomiskt vettigt för min familj att försöka få en av dem," which translates to basically, "I have seen that team hand out long term contracts to other players more than any other GM and it makes financial sense for my family to try to get one of them."
Perif, your Swedish is amazing, but you don't have Britt Eklund's looks, so the hell with you!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh I agree...And if Pulock only had 2 years left on his deal as opposed to 6 then I'd agree he'd have some decent trade value.

Alas he is signed until 2030 (with an NTC that kicks in the last 3 years of a deal meaning any acquiring team will have even a harder time dumping his contract if his play falls off later), so when you take into account Pulock's financial/contract situation that really mitigates any real value he has.

And Pelech's situation is even worse as his 16-team NTC kicks in July 1, 2025 (when he still has 4 years left on his deal).

Pulock currently has an NTC and it becomes a modified NTC those last three years (starting in 2027-18).
Pelech currently has an NTC and it becomes a modified NTC in 2025-26.

Moving Pelech is significantly easier than Pulock because he only has a year left of full NTC protection, whereas Pulock has three more years.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024

The contracts front loaded - Nelson, Lee, Pageau

These aren't - Barzal, Horvat, Pelech, Pulock, Cizikas, Engvall, and Sorokin...

I am not unhappy with LL's long term deals, other than Engvall (stilll... I feel like he can go either way, good or bad).

Last edited:

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I was thinking Pelech + for Marner.
No way on Marner, you want a cry baby and a player who disappears in the playoff? Pelech + for Nylander all day.

Pulock currently has an NTC and it becomes a modified NTC those last three years (starting in 2027-18).

Moving Pelech is significantly easier than Pulock because he only has a year left of full NTC protection, whereas Pulock has three more years.
I'm keeping Pulock, Pelech is the one we need to move in a package for a good forward

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Yes. That's what I said.

Legit don't know how you came to this conclusion because...

• Pulock is notably better than Pelech right now.
  • NTCs/Modified NTC's travel with a player. So if a team trades for Pelech they can't trade him again without his consent after July 1, 2025. However any team that acquires Pulock has until October 2027 to trade him again without consent. More flexibility = More value.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Pelech's contract is unfortunately quite underwater right now and NYI shouldn't be dealing draft picks (which would surely need to be a 1st rounder at least) to dump Pelech. It's part of why retooling this team is going to be so difficult for a while.

Best thing NYI can hope for is that Roy is able to figure out why he's underperforming. If it's physical, how can we recover to get back where he was a few years ago. If it's mental, then that's easier and the coaching staff can work on that. He's still only 29, so should have 3-5 more full prime years left. Not too long ago he was one of the top shut down d-men in the entire league. Too early to say he's washed up based on a couple of down years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad