Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Gustav Forsling? I guess he never technically even made the NHL with Carolina.
I’ll never get over them putting Forsling on waivers vs Fleury that year , especially when Forsling outplayed Fleury in preseason.

That CDH trade, viewed by most Canes’ fans as horrible at the time, with Chicago really could have been a win if the Canes had gotten any value out of Forsling or Forsberg.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think we'll see a few more of our prospects either getting released or traded. Pashin feels like a clearing of a contract. We're at 43 out of 50 contracts currently. Now that's going to change after the post-season, but now is the time to cull the Pashin's in our prospect pool.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Well, keep in mind what “making it” meant under the past regime vs. the current one. In the past regime you had 1-2 slots every year just red carpeted and ready for whatever AHL guys had the best camp to come in and take. Suzuki, Rees, etc. all would’ve played games over the last several seasons under the past regime.

Under new management, the roster is stacked going into every training camp, and you’ve gotta prove you’re truly an NHL player to break into those spots.

So, by definition, the guys that do that are going to be a) fewer and b) better. And guys that are better are typically guys you’re less likely to give up on.
Fair but after the transition to the new regime we still had plenty of players the old regime acquired who did "make it" in a much more competitive environment here under the new regime, and then we let them go. I mean is Drury necessarily much better than some of the other guys we've had here and let go like Foegele? I love me some Drury and am excited to see him continue to develop and contribute here as we'll probably keep him but on the surface I don't see him as being any better right now than McLovin when he left. One notable difference is the regimes who acquired the players though.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fair but after the transition to the new regime we still had plenty of players the old regime acquired who did "make it" in a much more competitive environment here under the new regime, and then we let them go. I mean is Drury necessarily much better than some of the other guys we've had here and let go like Foegele? I love me some Drury and am excited to see him continue to develop and contribute here as we'll probably keep him but on the surface I don't see him as being any better right now than McLovin when he left. One notable difference is the regimes who acquired the players though.
Don't you think $$$$$ matter for lower parts of the roster. Foegele & McLovin became too pricey whereas Drury is still inexpensive.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
  1. Guess I'd give signing Guentzel a shot still.
  2. Definitely keep Jarvis long term.
  3. I'm still aboard the move Necas train.
  4. Turbo would have to sign a short, sweetheart deal.
  5. Not sure there's a deal I'd sign Pesce to that's at all realistic.
  6. Chat could stay for the right deal, but we'll see.
  7. I'm not opposed to moving on from Freddie, but getting another good goalie isn't easy.
  8. Look at getting Slavin long term late in the off-season.
  9. If you can move on from Koko, do it. The buyout should be in play.
  10. I'm sure they'll bring back Martinook if they can, so not worth thinking on.
  11. Hopefully, they'll have room for a kid or two.
  12. I'd imagine short of guys throwing their services at us in free agency again, we'll be on the look for good players being moved out by other teams.
  13. Hopefully, get a fully healthy Svech. He had his moments but he still needs to get to another level.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The centers need to be reworked.

Drury can go. He is just a meh 4c if he wants more than a mil
Kk can be be bought out if we can’t find someone to take him for FC
I really don’t want to keep kuzy as the 2c because his 2 way play is atrocious but we are likely stuck

Jarvis is a duh

Chatty gets overpaid elsewhere
Turbo can go
If we can find a good return for necas, do it
Need pesce, demelo, or tanev as 2rd. Going to need to get deeper on playoff playing wingers.

Highly doubt we make any changes in net although Kooch should be 1A next season. Hopefully he shores up his mechanical consistency this offseason

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I still think we will regret dealing Necas unless it’s an incredible return.

I think Kotkaniemi gets bought out to get space for Guentzel, Necas, and Jarvis.

We will likely see Orlov-Chatfield as the second pairing. Sign a veteran to pair with Morrow for the third.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I personally hope the two Jordans aren't back. I appreciate Martinooks services but whatever contract offer he gets, it won't age well I fear. The term is what scares me. Regarding Staal, he gets slower every year. I wouldn't mind him hanging it up.

I'm willing to give Koko another shot but he needs to work with someone this summer to help him try to develop a scoring touch or something while he is still young. For that matter, Svech too. Kid has potential to be a 90 point scorer, really need him to reach his potential.

I hope whatever we get for Necas will be worth it. Looking back, they really dropped the ball on not getting Tkachuk.

I would be okay with giving Noesen and Chatfield extensions but I'd also be fine if they can find something equal or better.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I personally hope the two Jordans aren't back. I appreciate Martinooks services but whatever contract offer he gets, it won't age well I fear. The term is what scares me. Regarding Staal, he gets slower every year. I wouldn't mind him hanging it up.

I'm willing to give Koko another shot but he needs to work with someone this summer to help him try to develop a scoring touch or something while he is still young. For that matter, Svech too. Kid has potential to be a 90 point scorer, really need him to reach his potential.

I hope whatever we get for Necas will be worth it. Looking back, they really dropped the ball on not getting Tkachuk.

I would be okay with giving Noesen and Chatfield extensions but I'd also be fine if they can find something equal or better.
1 thing we know: both jordans will be back. Jordan would have to retire not to be back. No way rod is kosher with dumping his captain after his captain situation

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think it's time to re-examine and re-consider a lot of decisions about this roster, approach/philosophy, and probably even professional staff.

I feel like regardless how this season ended, next year was going to be a step-back, transitional year, and a bit of retrenchment as we transition into the next Canes era. More so now, I think we should lean into big changes everywhere in the organization.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Necas had a decent series against the Rangers while playing with Drury and Martinook. While I still think it’s more likely than not he’s traded, I dont think that’s a sure thing anymore. If Guentzel wants to test the market or doesn’t like the Canes’ lowball offer, they may have to commit to Necas long term. They can’t lose them both.

Also, committing to homegrown Necas who’s significantly younger than Guentzel does fit the Canes’ M.O. as well.

What they end up doing with the blueline this summer will be most interesting to me.

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
internationalhockeywiki.com
2025 will be the start of the third chapter of the Rod era. 2019 and 2020 the early years. Wildcard teams both seasons as the franchise finally got back to respectability again. Unexpected run to the conference finals in 2019. 2021-2024 the core years. Elite regular seasons every year, with another ECF in 2023, but never able to get over the hump and reach the finals. With the soft reset coming, 2025 marks the beginning of the later Rod era. The core is still young enough that the window should remain open for the rest of the decade, but changes are looming.

I will say it’s unfortunate 2021 ran up against that OP Tampa squad in round two. I actually think that series was the de facto final given the playoff format and how weak the teams that emerged from the other divisions were that year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pursue Stamkos, if available. Don’t care about his 5v5 warts. His shot is a potential game changer for the PP.

Even though his PP scoring has cratered, maybe Laine could string together an impactful few months in a future playoff run.

A lot of talented offensive defensemen have cycled through the 1st unit over the years. Center point isn’t the problem. Aho being the #1 option when Teravainen/Svechnikov/Necas/Jarvis is on the other side is the issue.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
There are currently quite a few forward UFAs of interest: Guentz, Stammer, Reinhart, Stephenson, Lindholm, Mantha, Duclair

Defensive options kinda meh outside RFAs: Hronek, Montour, DeMelo, Roy

Goalies uhhhhhhhhhh

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
There are currently quite a few forward UFAs of interest: Guentz, Stammer, Reinhart, Stephenson, Lindholm, Mantha, Duclair

Defensive options kinda meh outside RFAs: Hronek, Montour, DeMelo, Roy

Goalies uhhhhhhhhhh
The Borg aren’t changing goalies next season. 3 are signed for next year; Martin will be in Chicago unless he’s claimed by someone else.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hey Freddie, can you read this?

Yeah?

You can,?

f*** you. Make a f***in save :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er. That's what we pay you for

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad