Online Series: Rings of Power season 2 (August 29)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I can only hope they right the ship.

About The Rings of Power Season 2: Sauron has returned. Cast out by Galadriel, without army or ally, the rising Dark Lord must now rely on his own cunning to rebuild his strength and oversee the creation of the Rings of Power, which will allow him to bind all the peoples of Middle-earth to his sinister will. Building on Season 1’s epic scope and ambition, Season 2 of Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power plunges even its most beloved and vulnerable characters into a rising tide of darkness, challenging each to find their place in a world that is increasingly on the brink of calamity. Elves and dwarves, orcs and men, wizards and Harfoots… as friendships are strained and kingdoms begin to fracture, the forces of good will struggle ever more valiantly to hold on to what matters to them most of all… each other.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season 1 was messy so we'll see how this goes. If we're lucky, we'll get a major course correction like Wheel of Time season 2 was, if not the series will be dead.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hated season 1, I want to like this so I'll tune into season 2 if I have nothing else. More than likely I'll check to see what's being said about it and hopefully it's good so I feel more inclined to check it out.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hated season 1, I want to like this so I'll tune into season 2 if I have nothing else. More than likely I'll check to see what's being said about it and hopefully it's good so I feel more inclined to check it out.

Well, I asked myself, what did I enjoy about that trailer? And I thought first, hmm, the costume design is pretty good. That's not enough. That's not gonna cut it, one cannot just watch a tv show foe the costume design. So I thought some more, hmm OK I liked Charlie Vicker's acting. Plus costume design....that wig he's wearing, he's like Clarke Kent!! That may be enough to make me watch some of the next season. Maybe. Maybe episode 1.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, I asked myself, what did I enjoy about that trailer? And I thought first, hmm, the costume design is pretty good. That's not enough. That's not gonna cut it, one cannot just watch a tv show foe the costume design. So I thought some more, hmm OK I liked Charlie Vicker's acting. Plus costume design....that wig he's wearing, he's like Clarke Kent!! That may be enough to make me watch some of the next season. Maybe. Maybe episode 1.
If you want a good laugh, read through the comments on the trailer. They're filled with Sauron wig jokes and memes.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Season one was horrible. At least this time they waited until House of the Dragon's season was over so people won't compare that masterpiece with this show again.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like Tom Bombadill is in the second season

1716995176536.png

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh dear. That's underwhelming. He just looks like an average guy in a beard. Also, the fact that he'll be singing is concerning because it tends to be super cringey nowadays when filmmakers cross into musical territory.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Oh dear. That's underwhelming. He just looks like an average guy in a beard. Also, the fact that he'll be singing is concerning because it tends to be super cringey nowadays when filmmakers cross into musical territory.

Well i mean, besides a guy in a beard what else is there, but it looks like a cheap halloween coustume kit

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well i mean, besides a guy in a beard what else is there, but it looks like a cheap halloween coustume kit
Here's how he's described in the original poem:
Old Tom Bombadil was a merry fellow;
bright blue his jacket was and his boots were yellow,
green were his girdle and his breeches all of leather;
he wore in his tall hat a swan-wing feather.
And here's how he's introduced in The Lord of the Rings:
There was another burst of song, and then suddenly, hopping and dancing along the path, there appeared above the reeds an old battered hat with a tall crown and a long blue feather stuck in the band. With another hop and a bound there came into view a man, or so it seemed. At any rate he was too large and heavy for a hobbit, if not quite tall enough for one of the Big People, though he made noise enough for one, stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright, and his face was red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter. In his hand he carried on a large leaf as on a tray a small pile of white water-lilies.
There's more to him than just a beard. He's colorful, flamboyant, agile, merry and larger-than-life.

Here are some artist renditions that a quick Google search turned up:

1707843006997.jpg4a879248-37f0-4273-8100-bf32cfe641f5_1024x1024.jpg1_HtqLmxGVLs5GG96xTw3T1w.jpg2dd04336-f89f-5b56-a7e5-1f6ef5f6b282_20cd10bd-0171-4400-b3a5-167d70d7c361_800x.jpg

The search also turned up some fan renditions of Jack Black in the role, and I have to agree that he would've really suited the role:

jackblackbombadil.jpg
jackblackbombadil2.jpg
FtjUU5TX0AMd954.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

There's more to him than just a beard. He's colorful, flamboyant, agile, merry and larger-than-life.

View attachment 877408View attachment 877407View attachment 877410View attachment 877406

The search also turned up some fan renditions of Jack Black in the role, and I have to agree that he would've really suited the role:

View attachment 877429View attachment 877430View attachment 877453
In several of his letters, Tolkien insisted that The Lord of the Rings was a fairy tale. I think he threw Bombadil in there as a nod to fairy tales.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

View attachment 877408View attachment 877407View attachment 877410View attachment 877406

View attachment 877429View attachment 877430View attachment 877453

Ok well most of that doesnt apply to a still, which is all I was commenting on. IDK about anything else

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I can't believe that they spent so much money on this whole project only that have so many characters just look like bad cosplayers.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ok well most of that doesnt apply to a still, which is all I was commenting on. IDK about anything else
Well, those artist renditions that I posted are stills, too, yet tell us a lot about the character, not just his appearance, but his personality. In comparison, the still from this show makes him seem rather ordinary and boring. Now, maybe it doesn't do him justice and he's anything but ordinary and boring in the show, but, if that's the case, you have to wonder why they chose a boring still that doesn't reflect the character or match how fans have envisioned him as their exclusive first look to promote the show.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Well, those artist renditions that I posted are stills, too, yet tell us a lot about the character, not just his appearance, but his personality. In comparison, the still from this show makes him seem rather ordinary and boring. Now, maybe it doesn't do him justice and he's anything but ordinary and boring in the show, but, if that's the case, you have to wonder why they chose a boring still that doesn't reflect the character or match how fans have envisioned him as their exclusive first look to promote the show.
I already said he looked like a cheap halloween costume

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad