Redraft 2015

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Even when we have the SHINIEST new toys, some people STILL want to take them back and get a different one.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Marner is better than Provorov, don't let the hfboards hype fool you.

Werenski would've been nice but we got a great player in Marner. I wouldn't change anything personally.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

Personally I would love Provorov

Provorov ##4 or Werenski at #8 with the potential trade back with CBJ had happened.

That would have added a elite top 4 Dman to the Leafs group with Auston and Willie up front.

As you say though hindsight of the future knowing you would finish last and draft first and land Matthews would change the picture.

FWIW: At time of draft I had Provorov at #4 on my BPA list.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Love that video of Kekelainen taking the call from the Leafs, we asked for all their 2nds to move from 4 to 8

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Provorov ##4 or Werenski at #8 with the potential trade back with CBJ had happened.

That would have added a elite top 4 Dman to the Leafs group with Auston and Willie up front.

As you say though hindsight of the future knowing you would finish last and draft first and land Matthews would change the picture.

Hindsight blah blah, but had they taken that deal or managed to do it, they could have gotten Werenski and then gotten the same players in the 2nd round plus Aho.

We'd be a better team with those moves. However, it's unrealistic to think this way, and Marner has met all expectations.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

As I recall your list was a little off the board, no?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We got, what we got, when we got it!

And, we got Magic Marner!

I like what we got, when we got it!

Just looking forward, not looking back!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Having the luxury of both Nylander and Marner, some people have gone a little crazy, like they need to ax one to have a more well rounded depth chart elsewhere, trade one at any expense, or re-write history.

I think if the Leafs had drafted Werenski or Provorov they'd have a more projectable future depth chart. But right now we are top heavy at forward which makes people nervous, recalling Edmonton and Colorado.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Marner is going to be a very, very important player for our team. He is going to be a superstar I believe. He was the right choice and another weapon for our club going forward. I was thrilled to take him when we did and wouldn't trade him for anyone that followed (or the player taken just before).

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Knowing now that we have Matthews, do you take Provorov or Werenski over Marner?

No. Jesus. These threads are gonna look foolish. I mean, they already do, but they will moreso in the future.

You were obsessed with Barzal as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As I recall your list was a little off the board, no?

I was on board with the trade back option #8, passing on Hanifin/Strome & Marner to draft later and pick up extra 2nd round picks.

If we stayed at #4 it was drafting a Dman Provorov as wasn't sold on Hanifin's offensive upside. I do believe in trying to draft C or D with top 5 picks as they have more value then wingers do, in the team building strategy.

Mark Hunter was always going to take his boy Marner, or trade back if he was gone to #8 and likely take Werenski as he was also drafted by Hunter (as London GM). Which as it turns out were both good choices and can't go wrong with either.

With hindsight now, one could make a case that a near 50 point Dman in Werenski (who is a Calder finalist) would better balance the Leafs with a top young Dman at the expense of a scoring winger. Knowing what we know now and have its more of a debate.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Actually knowing what I know now, I probably would have selected that McDavid kid at 3. Oh well. I don't regret the Marner selection one bit.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs made the right choice. There is absolutely 0 reasons for any regrets. Marner is a superstar type talent. Really happy with the pick.

Mark Hunter knows what he is doing after all:)

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Actually knowing what I know now, I probably would have selected that McDavid kid at 3. Oh well. I don't regret the Marner selection one bit.

Agreed, throw in a 3rd and a 4th rounder and move up to select McDavid would have been astute!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In hindsight it probably would have been better from a team building Pov to have found a way to pull off that trade back deal with Columbus but still nothing to be upset with that draft, Marner is going to help this team win an awful lot of games

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
GlAswo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Werenski for sure. 1D and I would trade 1for1 right now mostly because Mitch is a winger. I would have a harder time dealing Nylander because the whole 1-2 punch at C with a solid 3 option in Kadri.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner drafted #4, Werenski drafted #8 in 2015.

Calder Cup finalists Matthews, Laine, Werenski.

So among those voting on the Calder this year believe Werenski had the better season of the 2 choices available back in 2015 draft.

For a young 19 year old Dman to play > 20 minutes TOI/g and run a PP and put up 11-36-47 points and lead his team, put just behind Auston and Patrik in impressive 1st seasons.

In hindsight a Leafs top 4 of;

Rielly -- Werenski
Gardiner -- Zaitsev

Would be a real solid group.

If you consider Leafs were on the only team to finish in the bottom 10 in goals against and squeak into the playoffs, it highlights the defense weakness that the current squad has. So a case could be made that going D instead of scoring Winger might better have fit the Leafs long-term success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad