Rank the Young Guys

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I thought about a poll but that would take too long so give it a shot all at once. Rank the following in order of how you think they will develop.

Fantilli
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Jiricek
Voronkov
Johnson
Sillinger

Question: Do you think they all stick with CBJ and become the core?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think I have it about the same as you

At this point I’m only confident that Fantilli will remain a Jacket for a long time.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So what they ultimately become?

Fantilli
Jiricek

Johnson
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Sillinger

I think they all stick until the next GM atleast. Next year is a major year for pretty much all these guys

Ill pat myself on the back a little bit for my Chinakhov claims last year and offseason. I said I liked his upside more than Marchenko and most probably scoffed at that but it doesnt look as crazy now. Both should be good responsible top 6 players in this league for a long time

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
  1. fantilli

[big gap]

2. johnson
  3. jiricek

[big gap]

4. marchenko
  5. chinakhov
  6. sillinger
  7. voronkov
if listed, i'd have brindley between marchenko/chinkahov and mateychuk up with jiricek.

fantilli is a franchise cornerstone, johnson and jiricek look like core players. the other guys on the list but i have a more strict definition of what a 'core' player is. 'supporting' doesn't mean you can't (or shouldn't) keep them around long-term, or that they aren't valuable players, though.

using the 2018-19 team for reference, i'd classify five guys as 'core' players (panarin, jones, werenski, dubois, bobrovsky). the 'supporting' tier on that team would be guys like atkinson, bjorkstrand, jenner and anderson who, coincidentally, line up well as lazy comps for the #4-7 on my list.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Since this is purely opinion and future projecting, I'll offer mine too because it's a bit more pessimistic:
  1. Fantilli

[big gap]

2. Sillinger
  3. Marchenko
  4. Chinakhov

5. Johnson
  6. Jiricek
  7. Voronkov
I think Sillinger will end up very useful. Not sure of the upside but I think he'll create a great body of work in the NHL over his career. Marchy & Chinny I hope continue to evolve. I'm starting to feel pessimistic about Johnson and Jiricek but I hope it's just my fears and they'll become more like what you guys are predicting. Voronkov is a wild card but I place him last on the list anyway. I could easily see him jumping to the second place on my list, I rate them all pretty similarly except Fantilli. (Which is not necessarily a good thing, as that might be a bit too mediocre and not enough for a true core.)

Reactions: squashmaple

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Upside:

1. Fantilli
2. Johnson
3. Jiricek
4. Chinakhov
5. Marchenko
6. Sillinger
7. Voronkov

Likelihood they get there factored in:

1. Fantilli
2. Marchenko
3. Voronkov
4. Chinakhov
5. Jiricek
6. Sillinger
7. Johnson

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
  1. fantilli

[big gap]

2. johnson
  3. jiricek

[big gap]

4. marchenko
  5. chinakhov
  6. sillinger
  7. voronkov
if listed, i'd have brindley between marchenko/chinkahov and mateychuk up with jiricek.

fantilli is a franchise cornerstone, johnson and jiricek look like core players. the other guys on the list but i have a more strict definition of what a 'core' player is. 'supporting' doesn't mean you can't (or shouldn't) keep them around long-term, or that they aren't valuable players, though.

using the 2018-19 team for reference, i'd classify five guys as 'core' players (panarin, jones, werenski, dubois, bobrovsky). the 'supporting' tier on that team would be guys like atkinson, bjorkstrand, jenner and anderson who, coincidentally, line up well as lazy comps for the #4-7 on my list.
There’s literally nothing that suggests KJ is in the second tier above the others. If anything, he’s behind his progression right now

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Since this is purely opinion and future projecting, I'll offer mine too because it's a bit more pessimistic:
  1. Fantilli

[big gap]

2. Sillinger
  3. Marchenko
  4. Chinakhov

5. Johnson
  6. Jiricek
  7. Voronkov
I think Sillinger will end up very useful. Not sure of the upside but I think he'll create a great body of work in the NHL over his career. Marchy & Chinny I hope continue to evolve. I'm starting to feel pessimistic about Johnson and Jiricek but I hope it's just my fears and they'll become more like what you guys are predicting. Voronkov is a wild card but I place him last on the list anyway. I could easily see him jumping to the second place on my list, I rate them all pretty similarly except Fantilli. (Which is not necessarily a good thing, as that might be a bit too mediocre and not enough for a true core.)
I'm with you on this with the exceptions of Voronkov and Marchenko, whom I would swap places. Marchenko's a glue guy and a culture linchpin but I remain more skeptical of where he fits on the ice longterm. He has the most replaceable skillset of the list in my opinion. Voronkov has been a revelation this year, and I have gone from Dima Agnostic to bigtime Dima Evangelist (maybe second only to Eva around here, lol).

I share the Johnson pessimism in particular. I didn't like him much in his draft year (I was not thrilled with the choice) and except for that absolutely sick drop pass he had on a Danforth goal in the preseason and his lacrosse goal last year, I still just don't see it. He flutters more than Winnipeg Laine and Trevor Zegras, which is saying something.

So therefore, my own list is:
  1. Fantilli
  2. Sillinger
  3. Voronkov
  4. Chinakhov
  5. Jiricek
  6. Johnson
  7. Marchenko

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Upside:

1. Fantilli
2. Johnson
3. Jiricek
4. Chinakhov
5. Marchenko
6. Sillinger
7. Voronkov

1. Fantilli
2. Marchenko
3. Voronkov
4. Chinakhov
5. Jiricek
6. Sillinger
7. Johnson
HF, when it was a prospect information and news site that also happened to have a message board attached to it, used to rank prospects with a number, indicating their peak potential, and a letter, indicating how likely they were to reach it. So you could have a Johnson who was an (making these up) 8C or whatever and a Voronkov at a 6A.

There were still gray areas, like what does their number become if a low letter grade proves accurate, but anyway that's kind of what your ranking reminds me of.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
HF, when it was a prospect information and news site that also happened to have a message board attached to it, used to rank prospects with a number, indicating their peak potential, and a letter, indicating how likely they were to reach it. So you could have a Johnson who was an (making these up) 8C or whatever and a Voronkov at a 6A.

There were still gray areas, like what does their number become if a low letter grade proves accurate, but anyway that's kind of what your ranking reminds me of.
I’m sad that I’m now old enough to say I remember this vividly.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There’s literally nothing that suggests KJ is in the second tier above the others. If anything, he’s behind his progression right now
Its not a right now ranking and the Russians for example are 2 years older than Johnson. If anything I think Marchenko has been a bit overrated and if this was done 2 months ago Chinakhov wouldnt get much love. Or Voronkov or Sillinger

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Fantilli - franchise C at best / Boone Jenner with more vocal leadership at worst

Jiricek - 2-way 1 right D at best, decent 2nd line D at worst

now it gets interesting

Johnson - most potential of the wings, elite playmaking ability, could be a Jake Voracek type

Sillinger - looks likely to be a 2/3 or high end 3C, still could become solid 2C
Marchenko - solid middle 6 wing, my impression is he is the leader of the young Russians
Chinakhov - shooting percentage will determine how good (or bad) he will be

Voronkov - dude is a unicorn, not the best guy on the ice, but every team wants a Voronkov

most likely to be be traded:
Chinakhov - that wicked wrist shot has value, too many wings
Johnson - could be the main piece of a big trade
Voronkov - I could see a GM fall in love with him and make an attractive offer

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
he's scoring at a higher rate at 5v5 than he was last year. his numbers look bad because he has literally zero power play points lol

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Tier 1: Fantilli (+)

Tier 2: Mateychuk (+)
Chinakhov (+)
Marchenko (=)
Jiricek (-)
Johnson (-)

Tier 3: Voronkov (+)
Sillinger (-)

Prolly go into detail on each guy more later with more time. To be clear, Mateychuk should NEVER not be in these conversations with these guys. He very well could be the best guy after Fantilli.

Draft pedigree.

Same reason Jiricek is looked at so well in relation to Mateychuk, as he wasn’t even on the list as a choice and is the better player.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fantilli stands above all of them. Potential franchise player. All Star possibilities. Low end would be solid 60 point player.

Jiricek. My ability to assess young dmen isn't real strong. I'll pass. No idea about Mateychuk.

Johnson looks to not be elite nor a game changer-type. Could end up a long term solid second liner and a PP contributor. Don't see him as an "A" player.

Marchenko doesn't see the ice well enough as a playmaker to be a first liner. Second line/decent PP guy is top upside. Could be overseas again in a few seasons as well.

Chinakov is intriguing. But there's recency bias due to his good performance of late. If he continues to be able to find room to use "the shot", he could be a first liner and a good PP guy. Could also end up to be a bit too one dimensional and not amount to a whole lot.

Sillinger could have a long career as a middle of the roster player just like his dad. Certainly not going to be a big scorer or top line player.

Voronkov has a very nice set of skills for a big guy. Unfortunately, he plays like a small guy most of the time. Will have to start using his size to his advantage or will probably end up a KHL guy.

On the whole, it's an OK group. Not a great group. Don't see a core which will bring Lord Stanley's hardware to NWA.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
1. Fantilli
2. Chinakhov
3. Jiricek
4. Sillinger
5, Marchenko
6. Mateychuk (not on OP's original list)
7. Voronkov
8. Johnson

I am hesitant to place Voronkov at 7 - I think he's really important to the core imo, for a number of reasons. But just can't seem to put him higher than that.
I have Sillinger higher than most - I like what I've seen the last month, and the fact that he's a Center elevates his ranking in my book.

Fantilli makes me happy on so many levels.

KJ - I have him ranked 8th because I don't see him becoming physical enough or darting enough to make a long-term splash for the CBJ. I don't think he ends up as part of the core for that reason. I hope I'm wrong. But I also know that the likelihood of all 7 (8 on my list) making it long-term is not high.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought about a poll but that would take too long so give it a shot all at once. Rank the following in order of how you think they will develop.

Fantilli
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Jiricek
Voronkov
Johnson
Sillinger

Question: Do you think they all stick with CBJ and become the core?

Adam Fantilli 9.5C

Yegor Chinakhov 8.5C
Kirill Marchenko 8.0B
Kent Johnson 8.5C
David Jiricek 8.5C
Denton Mateychuk 8.0C
Dmitri Voronkov 7.5B

Cole Sillinger 7.0C

Any of these guys could become part of the next core. Some of them won't. It's not necessarily their attributes that will determine that. Sometimes guys get traded because they were sought after and we needed something else. Sometimes there are redundancies. We'll never have too many Voronkovs or Fantillis so I imagine those two will be prized long term.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Upside:

1. Fantilli
2. Johnson
3. Jiricek
4. Mateychuk
5. Chinakhov
6. Marchenko
7. Sillinger
8. Voronkov

1. Fantilli
2. Marchenko
3. Voronkov
4. Mateychuk
5. Chinakhov
6. Jiricek
7. Sillinger
8. Johnson
Since people have added in Mateychuk, I decided to add him into my groups as well.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Tier 1: Fantilli (+)

Tier 2: Mateychuk (+)
Chinakhov (+)
Marchenko (=)
Jiricek (-)
Johnson (-)

Tier 3: Voronkov (+)
Sillinger (-)

Prolly go into detail on each guy more later with more time. To be clear, Mateychuk should NEVER not be in these conversations with these guys. He very well could be the best guy after Fantilli.

Draft pedigree.

Same reason Jiricek is looked at so well in relation to Mateychuk, as he wasn’t even on the list as a choice and is the better player.
Have you even watched Mateychuk much? Also its not about who is better now but who is expected to be better. @tunnelvision and I have had multiple discussions/debates about Mateychuk and I love the player but I see higher upside in Jiricek, comfortably higher upside. Ive actually made it a goal to watch as many MJ games as possible to see Mateychuk more. Hoping to take my boy to some PO games when they role around

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad