Confirmed with Link: Puustinen re-signed, 2 years at $775k AAV

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm mostly surprised that he was able to be signed for so cheap because he was a UFA, not a RFA. I don't think he was anything amazing, but 20 points in 52 games in a 3rd line role is pretty solid and you would think he could have gotten close to double what he got here in UFA.

Had someone given him a 2 year, $1.5 million AAV deal in UFA, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. To see him only getting league minimum, though? That surprises me, but definitely in a good way.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm mostly surprised that he was able to be signed for so cheap because he was a UFA, not a RFA. I don't think he was anything amazing, but 20 points in 52 games in a 3rd line role is pretty solid and you would think he could have gotten close to double what he got here in UFA.

Had someone given him a 2 year, $1.5 million AAV deal in UFA, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. To see him only getting league minimum, though? That surprises me, but definitely in a good way.
We've seen plenty of better players in UFA recently wait it out for a better deal only to end up getting screwed. He probably figured, hey, I can get 2 years now? Why not take it.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He is simply a small forward and the game is not looking for that. He needs to get stronger as he can't fight through the arm and body checks currently. He does have a good shot and has a good sense of where to go as to his sense of reading the play. But he needs to hit the S&C program hard to be an 82 game NHL regular. Pens know what he is and what he isn't, but he does have upside if he can mature and get stronger on his skates.

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think some people overestimated him a little bit, but he's talented and certainly looked like a competent NHLer this past season. He and O'Connor could be nice X-factors if the team is actually trying to compete.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Smith - Eller - Puustinen was a solid 3rd, and at only like $8 million in total cap kind of a bargain.

Even with Smith's struggles last year, I'd be content going into next year with Smith and Puustinen as the 3rd line wingers and betting on a Smith bounce back. I think they need a better 3C than Eller, though.

Reactions: Victor Z and Jacob

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Smith - Eller - Puusty was adequate enough as a 3 which easily clears the bar of some 3rd lines we've seen them roll out recently. It could turn into an actually decent one if Smith rebounds and Eller maintains which may be a pipe dream.

That being said, sure move Eller to 4c and find a better 3c but if that money can be put to better use elsewhere, I think it could work.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kinda shocked here. He was a UFA and he doesn’t really have a spot guaranteed next year out our prospects in Koivunen, Poulin and Pono trying to make the NHL.

Basically guarantees Koivunen ain’t given a fair shake unless we sign no UFA forwards.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Smith - Eller - Puusty was adequate enough as a 3 which easily clears the bar of some 3rd lines we've seen them roll out recently. It could turn into an actually decent one if Smith rebounds and Eller maintains which may be a pipe dream.

That being said, sure move Eller to 4c and find a better 3c but if that money can be put to better use elsewhere, I think it could work.

Trust me I'm the guy that is always ripping on Pens fans for obsessing over their like 6M dollar 3C every single offseason. But if they could somehow find a guy for like 2-3ish million that is an upgrade on Eller there... that's maybe a line that could do a little damage while pushing a still-quality player in Eller down to 4C to help replace the massive, gaping void in both the lineup and our hearts that is BJC.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trust me I'm the guy that is always ripping on Pens fans for obsessing over their like 6M dollar 3C every single offseason. But if they could somehow find a guy for like 2-3ish million that is an upgrade on Eller there... that's maybe a line that could do a little damage while pushing a still-quality player in Eller down to 4C to help replace the massive, gaping void in both the lineup and our hearts that is BJC.

I actually think you can justifying spending a bit more than that on a 3C because they'll have O'Connor on L1 (assuming Smith is kept for L3) and Puustinen on L3 for dirt cheap. Gives them the flexibility of being able to spend more on luxuries.

Now, the more interesting idea is telling Rakell to GTFO and bringing in Marner to replace him. Cheap deals in notable roles like O'Connor and Puustinen also allows them to do that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually think you can justifying spending a bit more than that on a 3C because they'll have O'Connor on L1 (assuming Smith is kept for L3) and Puustinen on L3 for dirt cheap. Gives them the flexibility of being able to spend more on luxuries.

Now, the more interesting idea is telling Rakell to GTFO and bringing in Marner to replace him. Cheap deals in notable roles like O'Connor and Puustinen also allows them to do that.

Indeed. Depending on what they do with the rest of the lineup that number could be bumped more to like ~4M. I'd love to get Malkin some legit help but that ain't ever gonna happen so whatever.

Now... to keep our fingers crossed that the team doesn't blow it's potential savings-wad on the likes of like... another Graves or something.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d like to see an in house replacement for Eller as 3C next season and move him to 4C…Yager, Pono, Poulin competition

Reactions: akapidots

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I simply don't grasp the idea that Rakell who was injured and had to wear a brace needs to go. He is a very good RW who plays with some size, can battle in the corners and has passing and puck management skills that are really good. Plus at 31 he is hardly over the hill here. Pens have with moving Smith more than enough cap space to add. Rakell is a solid RW and he is not the problem here.

Reactions: akapidots

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Kinda shocked here. He was a UFA and he doesn’t really have a spot guaranteed next year out our prospects in Koivunen, Poulin and Pono trying to make the NHL.

Basically guarantees Koivunen ain’t given a fair shake unless we sign no UFA forwards.
Pono I'm most interested in with a good offseason and coming to camp healthy. I can't imagine they ever envisioned Koivunen going straight from Liiga to the NHL. If he starts in the A and looks good, he'll certainly be on the shortlist for the first call-up once injuries inevitably hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad