Pre-Consolidation Draft

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
@ResilientBeast brought up the idea for a Pre-Consolidation Draft last year, but it never really took off. In anticipation of what I really hope is the next HoH project, I think we should give this a go this year. All players who played prior to consolidation (1926) are eligible, regardless of whether or not they played a substantial amount of time afterwards. However, players shall only be judged for what they did pre-consolidation.

The draft will consist of 14 rounds, with one of your players being designated as a player-coach:
2 Goalies
2 Points
2 Counterpoints
2 Rovers
2 Left Wings
2 Centers
2 Right Wings

Each team shall create a 6-man line-up and a 7-man line-up; playoff series are to be judged as though both line-ups are used (to replicate the old PCHA/NHA series).

To keep things simple, this draft will have no trading and a 12 hour clock for every round.

Sign-ups will close on 30 July, the draft order will come out on 31 July, and we'll start the draft on 1 August.

EDIT 27 July: In light of some rule changes, we are going to extend the sign-up period and postpone the draft start-date for a bit.

Teams
1) rmartin65: Calumet Miners
2) ResilientBeast: Edmonton H.C.
3) 2Resilient2Beast: Kenora Thistles
4) Professor What:

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cool idea... but I'm starting a new job and I don't know if I'll have the time to do the research or keep tabs on this. I'm a maybe - we'll see when it gets closer to the date.

Reactions: rmartin65

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
All players who played prior to consolidation (1926) are eligible, regardless of whether or not they played a substantial amount of time afterwards. However, players shall only be judged for what they did pre-consolidation.

I'm not sure I'll participate, but I would like to say I don't think this is the right way to do it.

For example, when doing HOH defensemen lists, we first determined which players were eligible (typically over half their career or prime played on defense), then agreed to judge them based on their entire careers so as not to end up with silly rankings like Red Kelly 18th.

Similarly, we should look at this on a player-by-player basis and determine who counts as pre-consolidation and who doesn't, then judge them based on entire careers.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I'm not sure I'll participate, but I would like to say I don't think this is the right way to do it.

For example, when doing HOH defensemen lists, we first determined which players were eligible (typically over half their career or prime played on defense), then agreed to judge them based on their entire careers so as not to end up with silly rankings like Red Kelly 18th.

Similarly, we should look at this on a player-by-player basis and determine who counts as pre-consolidation and who doesn't, then judge them based on entire careers.
I’m open to suggestions such as this. I definitely agree with doing it your way for the HoH project, but I’m not sure it should matter for the draft. RB and I discussed this a bit last year, and came to the conclusion that if a person wants to draft Morenz then that’s fine, but everyone should only be judging Morenz on his time pre-consolidation.

However, if it gets more participation to make the change you suggested, I’m all for it.

Does anybody else have any ideas/suggestions?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I have returned from vacation and will of course participate as Edmonton H.C.

I’m open to suggestions such as this. I definitely agree with doing it your way for the HoH project, but I’m not sure it should matter for the draft. RB and I discussed this a bit last year, and came to the conclusion that if a person wants to draft Morenz then that’s fine, but everyone should only be judging Morenz on his time pre-consolidation.

However, if it gets more participation to make the change you suggested, I’m all for it.

Does anybody else have any ideas/suggestions?

I thought it would be plenty fine just to chop careers off where necessary to be "pre-consolidation", especially for someone like Morenz. Off the top of my head he and Joliat are the big "boundary" cases who would get selected but clearly have strong post consolidation resumes. Edit: And Bill Cook

I'll do a quick cross-reference of players who straddle the eras and we can assess who will be lightly problematic to deal with

Suggested rule: EVIDENCE must be provided of a player's position. A link or citation will do the job.

Many links or citations should be necessary especially at the player's peak IMO, as you can see in my data dump thread it's messy for bit players but for the stars, it's pretty stable positionally.

Edit: Like Nighbor was a LW for a single season and I would oppose someone putting them here in this. Same with Joe Malone.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
PlayerPre or Post?
Nels Stewart
Cy Denneny
Bill Cook
Billy Burch
Dick Irvin
Carson Cooper
Jimmy Herbert
Frank Boucher
Harry Oliver
Howie Morenz
Aurele Joliat
Art Gagne
George Hay
Corb Denneny
Frank Fredrickson
Jack Adams
Duke Keats
Babe Dye
Hooley Smith
Frank Nighbor
Red Green
Ty Arbour
Babe Siebert
Hib Milks
Bert McCaffrey
Barney Stanley
Jack Walker
Frank McCurry
Harold Darragh
Archie Briden
Cully Wilson
Red Dutton
Ollie Reinikka
Reg Noble
Mickey MacKay
Hap Day
Pete Bellefeuille
Harry Broadbent
Art Duncan
Bob Trapp
Lester Patrick
Lionel Conacher
Billy Boucher
Albert Leduc
Charlie Langlois
Shorty Green
Russell Oatman
Laurie Scott
Johnny Shepard
Eddie Shore
King Clancy
Buck Boucher
Duke Dukowski
Sprague Cleghorn
Lionel Hitchman
Emory Sparrow
Reg Mackey
Clem Loughlin
Gizzy Hart
Rodger Smith
Pete Lepine
Alex McKinnon
Charley McVeigh
Frank Foyston
Bert Corbeau
Bun Cook
Harry Cameron
Leo Reise
Hago Harrington
Dunc Munro
Fred Gordon
Tex White
Harold Cotton
Herb Drury
Joe McCormick
Ken Randall
Gordon McFarlane
Hec Lepine
Ernie Anderson
Red Stuart
Jack Connolly
Amby Moran
Billy Coutu
Jocko Anderson
Hobie Kitchen
Stan Jackson
Gerry Geran
Mike Neville
Emory Sparrow
Leo Bourgault
Jesse Spring
Art Townsend
Edmond Bouchard
Joe Simpson
Hec Kilrea
Herb Gardiner
Ken Doraty
Slim Halldorsson
Mickey Roach
Norm Shay
Percy Traub
Merlyn Phillips
Chas Dinsmore
Fern Headley
Odie Cleghorn
Sylvio Mantha
Wildor Larochelle
Herb Mitchell
Ed Gorman
Frank Carson
Sam Rothschild
Bobby Boucher
Harry Meeking
Frank Finnigan
Helge Bostrom
Frank Waite
Earl Campbell
Bill Holmes
Gord Fraser
Norm Shay
Charlie Cahill
Fred Lowrey
Alexander McIntyre
Wilf Loughlin
Ganton Scott
Louis Berlinguette
Bobby Rowe
Bobby Benson
Ganton Scott
Honore Brenot
Leroy Goldsworthy
Bobby Benson
Newsy Lalonde
Ron Moffatt
Eddie Oatman
Rollie Paulhus
Rusty Crawford
Alex Smith
John Brackenborough
Rod Smylie
Fred Bergdinon
George Redding
Gerry Munro
Jim Cain
Phil Stevens
Werner Schnarr
Charles Larose
Gordon Spence
Joe Matte
Reg Reid
Toots Holway
Bernie Brophy
Jim Cain
George Horne
Toots Holway
Alf Skinner
Fred Lowrey
Dave Ritchie
John McKinnon
Roger Cormier
Joe Matte
Jack Duggan
Leth Graham
Billy Cameron
Rene Boileau
Bob Hall
John Morrison

From my pre-consolidation point allocation sheet, here's a list of all players in either the NHL or WHL in 1925-26 who would form a lot of boundary cases.

Edit: I'll fill it in slowly off the top of my head for anyone who matters

Maybe we just make "The Morenz Rule" and players must have played 4 or more seasons at the top level before consolidation to even be considered eligible? That cuts out Howie, Joliat, Hooley and Eddie Shore who are some of the more problematic cases

And it keeps the WCHL guys eligible like Gagne, Keats, Cook etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Lander

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Many links or citations should be necessary especially at the player's peak IMO, as you can see in my data dump thread it's messy for bit players but for the stars, it's pretty stable positionally.

Edit: Like Nighbor was a LW for a single season and I would oppose someone putting them here in this. Same with Joe Malone.

Just a follow up on this, the biggest problems for positions on the PCHA side are going to be

Taylor - CP/Rover/C. Thankfully he's been well chronicled by me and I would say any of those positions is fine for him

Walker/Morris/Foyston on Seattle. From my data thread for 1915-16 shows that it was somewhat fluid.

Morris - 9C 5RW
Walker - 6R 9LW
Foyston 9R 4LW 2C

MacKay - R/C/W again well chronicled by me

Oatman, based on my research he played all positions except goal at some point. But was largely a Rover/RW

This is a long winded way of saying, if you can give a sizable body of evidence that he played a position for a substantial period (like my Taylotrr, MacKay and Stewart) deep dives I'm cool with it

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Glad to see you join in, @Professor What . As for preparation- I'm just reading what I can from the bio thread, the Early Round Up Thread, and whatever I can find online.

With PW's entry, we now have 4 confirmed participants and 2 maybes (@The Macho King and @seventieslord , you guys know you want to join). Does anybody have any strong feelings about seventies' proposal on player eligibility, or RB's suggestion about multiple teams?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
So, @rmartin65 has encouraged me to give this a try. I have to admit to being overwhelmed by it with my current level of knowledge. One thing that worries me most is that I'm going to completely miss a bunch of players. Anyone got any preparation suggestions if I were to try it?

The bio thread is broken into eras. I'd start there by clicking names I didn't recognize.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Glad to see you join in, @Professor What . As for preparation- I'm just reading what I can from the bio thread, the Early Round Up Thread, and whatever I can find online.

With PW's entry, we now have 4 confirmed participants and 2 maybes (@The Macho King and @seventieslord , you guys know you want to join). Does anybody have any strong feelings about seventies' proposal on player eligibility, or RB's suggestion about multiple teams?

I agree with the suggestions @seventieslord made. If we're considering this to be at least partially preparation for a potential project, we might as well play by the rules said project would have, and I can't see those suggestions not being incorporated into a project.

I have no problems with anyone else having multiple teams, but it's not something I'd personally feel like taking on. I don't want that to prevent anyone else though.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I have no problems with anyone else having multiple teams, but it's not something I'd personally feel like taking on. I don't want that to prevent anyone else though.

I like it, just because this project isn't competitive to me in nature at all

Strictly a catalyst for me to stop procrastinating filling out my player position data

And the more teams the deeper into the pool we go

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Yeah I gotta be out. New kid plus new job - no time for shenanigans at the moment.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Alright, let's roll with @seventieslord 's idea on players. Thanks to @ResilientBeast , we have a nice list of players to discuss; I think we should get moving on discussing player eligibility so we don't push this back too much.

And if no one is opposed to it, I think we should go ahead and allow 2 teams per GM. Like @Professor What , I don't think I'm going to be able to do that, but I look forward to other GMs potentially doing so.

Yeah I gotta be out. New kid plus new job - no time for shenanigans at the moment.

I'm sorry to hear that, but (obviously) understand. Hopefully you'll find some time to throw some comments in every now and again.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Alright, let's roll with @seventieslord 's idea on players. Thanks to @ResilientBeast , we have a nice list of players to discuss; I think we should get moving on discussing player eligibility so we don't push this back too much.

And if no one is opposed to it, I think we should go ahead and allow 2 teams per GM. Like @Professor What , I don't think I'm going to be able to do that, but I look forward to other GMs potentially doing so.

I'm sorry to hear that, but (obviously) understand. Hopefully you'll find some time to throw some comments in every now and again.
I'll follow and learn, but I just can't commit.

And I'd like to be a voter if you're going to allow non-participants to.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure I play, but agree with @seventieslord about taking the full legacy of players.

Reason: You look at a lineup and you see "Howie Morenz". This name already has a value in your head. Now you have to create a whole new player "Howie Morenz" with a new value, and do it for every single guy with partial pre-consolidation careers. It becomes a chore and unintuitive. Btw, Howie Morenz shouldn't be in this draft. I don't think Bill Cook should be neither. His whole stretch with the Rangers was post-consolidation, and had three strong seasons out west.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I suggested an easy qualification.
I am not interested in debating this summer.

I'll run the MLD 2022 and gladly join the pre-consolidation draft when you hash out the candidates (in the fall by mid-September? October?

I am on vacay until early August, the temps 30+ C, am primed at the moment for a straightforward summer draft.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Not sure I play, but agree with @seventieslord about taking the full legacy of players.

Reason: You look at a lineup and you see "Howie Morenz". This name already has a value in your head. Now you have to create a whole new player "Howie Morenz" with a new value, and do it for every single guy with partial pre-consolidation careers. It becomes a chore and unintuitive. Btw, Howie Morenz shouldn't be in this draft. I don't think Bill Cook should be neither. His whole stretch with the Rangers was post-consolidation, and had three strong seasons out west.

The big edge cases to wrangle with are off the top of my head that people would be interested in are

- Frank Boucher
- Eddie Shore
- Howie Morenz
- Aurele Joliant
- Bill Cook
- Bun Cook
- Nels Stewart
- Hooley Smith

And most of these guys have such poor legacy as just pre-consolidation players

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
PlayerPre or Post?
Nels StewartPost
Cy DennenyPre
Bill CookPost
Billy BurchPre?
Dick IrvinPre
Carson CooperPre?
Jimmy HerbertPost
Frank BoucherPost?
Harry OliverPre?
Howie MorenzPost
Aurele JoliatPost
Art GagnePre
George HayPre?
Corb DennenyPre
Frank FredricksonPre
Jack AdamsPre
Duke KeatsPre
Babe DyePre
Hooley SmithPost
Frank NighborPre
Red GreenPre
Ty ArbourPre
Babe SiebertPost
Hib MilksPre?
Bert McCaffreyPre
Barney StanleyPre
Jack WalkerPre
Frank McCurryPre
Harold DarraghPost
Archie BridenPre
Cully WilsonPre
Red DuttonPost?
Ollie ReinikkaPost?
Reg NoblePre
Mickey MacKayPre
Hap DayPost
Pete BellefeuillePost?
Harry BroadbentPre
Art DuncanPre
Bob TrappPost?
Lester PatrickPre
Lionel ConacherPost
Billy BoucherPre
Albert LeducPost
Charlie LangloisPre
Shorty GreenPre
Russell OatmanPost
Laurie ScottPost?
Johnny ShepardPost
Eddie ShorePost
King ClancyPost
Buck BoucherPre
Duke DukowskiPost?
Sprague CleghornPre
Lionel HitchmanPost
Emory SparrowPre
Reg MackeyPost
Clem LoughlinPre
Gizzy HartPost
Rodger SmithPre
Pete LepinePit? Post
Alex McKinnonPre
Charley McVeighPost?
Frank FoystonPre
Bert CorbeauPre
Bun CookPost
Harry CameronPre
Leo ReisePre
Hago HarringtonPost
Dunc MunroPre?
Fred GordonPost
Tex WhitePre
Harold CottonPost
Herb DruryPre
Joe McCormickPre?
Ken RandallPre
Gordon McFarlanePost
Hec LepinePre
Ernie AndersonPost
Red StuartPre?
Jack ConnollyPre?
Amby MoranPre
Billy CoutuPre
Jocko AndersonPre
Hobie KitchenPre
Stan JacksonPre
Gerry GeranPre
Mike NevillePost
Emory SparrowPre
Leo BourgaultPost
Jesse SpringPost
Art TownsendPost
Edmond BouchardPre
Joe SimpsonPre
Hec KilreaPost
Herb GardinerPre
Ken DoratyPost
Slim HalldorssonPost
Mickey RoachPre
Norm ShayPre?
Percy TraubPre
Merlyn PhillipsPre?
Chas DinsmorePre?
Fern HeadleyPost
Odie CleghornPre
Sylvio ManthaPost
Wildor LarochellePost
Herb MitchellPre
Ed GormanPre
Frank CarsonPre?
Sam RothschildPre?
Bobby BoucherPost
Harry MeekingPre
Frank FinniganPost
Helge BostromPre
Frank WaitePost?
Earl CampbellPre
Bill HolmesPost
Gord FraserPre?
Norm ShayPre
Charlie CahillPost
Fred LowreyPost
Alexander McIntyrePost
Wilf LoughlinPre
Ganton ScottPost
Louis BerlinguettePre
Bobby RowePre
Bobby BensonPre
Ganton ScottPost
Honore BrenotPre
Leroy GoldsworthyPost
Bobby BensonPre
Newsy LalondePre
Ron MoffattPost
Eddie OatmanPre
Rollie PaulhusPost
Rusty CrawfordPre
Alex SmithPost
John BrackenboroughPre
Rod SmyliePre
Fred BergdinonPre?
George ReddingPost
Gerry MunroPre?
Jim CainPost?
Phil StevensPre
Werner SchnarrPost?
Charles LarosePre
Gordon SpencePre
Joe MattePre
Reg ReidPre
Toots HolwayPost?
Bernie BrophyPost
Jim CainPost?
George HornePre?
Toots HolwayPost?
Alf SkinnerPre
Fred LowreyPre?
Dave RitchiePre
John McKinnonPost
Roger CormierPost
Joe MattePre
Jack DugganPre
Leth GrahamPre
Billy CameronPre
Rene BoileauPost
Bob HallPre
John MorrisonPre
Thanks for posting this list, @ResilientBeast . I've filled it in to the best of my knowledge (making some very wild guesses in some places, haha).

Let me know if (and where) anyone disagrees. Particularly, I think the higher-end guys are the ones worth discussion.

The big edge cases to wrangle with are off the top of my head that people would be interested in are

- Frank Boucher
- Eddie Shore
- Howie Morenz
- Aurele Joliant
- Bill Cook
- Bun Cook
- Nels Stewart
- Hooley Smith

And most of these guys have such poor legacy as just pre-consolidation players
Boucher is the hardest one for me. I went back and forth on where to put him for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad