Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I would love to hear as much conversation surrounding the offensive and defensive lines as we've heard surrounding wide-receivers and running-backs these last few years. There are so many nuances to having a great offensive line that simply do not get talked about enough. We want Josh to last? Best way to do that is build up the line, so he never has to worry about a PCL injury again. Wide-receivers having trouble getting open? Give them more time with competent blocking. Want less turnovers? Give Josh more time in the pocket, so he isn't forcing throws. Want a more dynamic playbook? Run the damn ball wall, and force the defensive coordinators into multiple looks. It's a modest investment that pays big dividends where a top-five wide-receiver gets you...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I would love to hear as much conversation surrounding the offensive and defensive lines as we've heard surrounding wide-receivers and running-backs these last few years. There are so many nuances to having a great offensive line that simply do not get talked about enough. We want Josh to last? Best way to do that is build up the line, so he never has to worry about a PCL injury again. Wide-receivers having trouble getting open? Give them more time with competent blocking. Want less turnovers? Give Josh more time in the pocket, so he isn't forcing throws. Want a more dynamic playbook? Run the damn ball wall, and force the defensive coordinators into multiple looks. It's a modest investment that pays big dividends where a top-five wide-receiver gets you...
I'll be your huckleberry.

Offensive line play is serially underrated. A good offensive line can make somewhat ordinary offenses look extraordinary. Take a look at the Patriots from around 2007 onward. They spent a ton of organizational assets (draft picks, money) on the offensive line. They went away from Moss and Welker, choosing to use lower assets for receivers (Edelman, Chris Hogan, etc) and in many ways got better results.

I had a concept around 2010, which I wrote about on Buffalo Rumblings, called "super units." It was a grouping of personnel so dominant that they could alone change the game. I considered the Patriots offensive line a super unit. Teams just couldn't get to Brady, which allowed a relatively ordinary group of receivers to get open.

The Giants' defensive line at that time was also a super unit. They drafted edge over and over again, to a point where they could rush 4 really good ends on passing downs. That's what really tilted the Super Bowls in the Giants favor. They sped up Brady. One super unit beat another super unit.

For me, I'm always down for offensive line picks. LT seems obvious but with Allen RT is also a big spot. Allen really likes to run and also scramble right. If the OTs can take rushers wide, Allen can always go up the middle once the pass breaks down. If the RT can hold his own, then it opens up scrambling right.

In the next two years, I think the Bills need to draft a LT replacement and another high-end interior lineman. They also need to re-sign Brown. I think Torrence is a long-term asset, and I also think Van Pran-Granger slid about 2 rounds, so he's basically the equivalent of getting another 3rd round talent in the 2024 draft.

For defensive line, I think Beane needs another high-end pass rushers (my vote for the 2025 first round pick, and it's Jack Sawyer), and a NT/DT. Dontay Corleone would be a good fit. With Oliver and Rousseau in place, I think they have the basis of a good rotation. Carter will take passing down snaps, and I would not be surprised to see Solomon earn some time.

A very early swag at the 2025 draft, here's what I'd do (using PFF's board):

1st (requires a trade up): Jack Sawyer DE Ohio State
2nd: Dontay Corleone DT Cincinnati or OT
2nd (used in the trade up)
3rd: Nazir Stackhouse DT Georgia
4th: Bryce Foster IOL Texas A&M

That'd go a long way to solidify the lines going forward.

Reactions: buffa dud

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Here’s a summary of the rumors/reports on the schedule so far:

Week 1 - Sun 1:00 vs TBD

Week 2 - Thu 8:20 at MIA

Week 3 - Home

Week 4 - TBD at BAL

Week 5 - Home

Week 6 - Mon 8:15 at NYJ

Week 9 - TBD vs MIA

Week 11 - Sun 4:25 vs KC

Week 12 - Away or Bye

Week 13 - Sun 8:20 vs SF

Week 17 - Sun 1:00 vs NYJ

Week 18 - NE, assuming Week 18 is divisional matchups like always

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

I think a guy whose name is Don Corleone should be a perfect fit for Bills Mafia.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I'll be your huckleberry.

Offensive line play is serially underrated. A good offensive line can make somewhat ordinary offenses look extraordinary. Take a look at the Patriots from around 2007 onward. They spent a ton of organizational assets (draft picks, money) on the offensive line. They went away from Moss and Welker, choosing to use lower assets for receivers (Edelman, Chris Hogan, etc) and in many ways got better results.

I had a concept around 2010, which I wrote about on Buffalo Rumblings, called "super units." It was a grouping of personnel so dominant that they could alone change the game. I considered the Patriots offensive line a super unit. Teams just couldn't get to Brady, which allowed a relatively ordinary group of receivers to get open.

The Giants' defensive line at that time was also a super unit. They drafted edge over and over again, to a point where they could rush 4 really good ends on passing downs. That's what really tilted the Super Bowls in the Giants favor. They sped up Brady. One super unit beat another super unit.

For me, I'm always down for offensive line picks. LT seems obvious but with Allen RT is also a big spot. Allen really likes to run and also scramble right. If the OTs can take rushers wide, Allen can always go up the middle once the pass breaks down. If the RT can hold his own, then it opens up scrambling right.

In the next two years, I think the Bills need to draft a LT replacement and another high-end interior lineman. They also need to re-sign Brown. I think Torrence is a long-term asset, and I also think Van Pran-Granger slid about 2 rounds, so he's basically the equivalent of getting another 3rd round talent in the 2024 draft.

For defensive line, I think Beane needs another high-end pass rushers (my vote for the 2025 first round pick, and it's Jack Sawyer), and a NT/DT. Dontay Corleone would be a good fit. With Oliver and Rousseau in place, I think they have the basis of a good rotation. Carter will take passing down snaps, and I would not be surprised to see Solomon earn some time.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles immediately come to mind here. If the Bills could reproduce that line, Josh Allen would be terrifying.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't really care about this game.
I wouldn't say I dont care, but it's only higher on my list due to seeding implications. Theyre a 50/50 game as always. We just need one of our 50% wins to come in the playoffs, but the football gods are not very nice to Buffalo.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I love that the JETS are going to be on national TV more than the Bills. Jets have 2 each of TNF/MNF/SNF + 1 London game, while Bills have 1 TNF + 2 each SNF/MNF.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
1715812779832.png

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

If that's right, I wanted to see what days of the week they fall on:

9/8 Cardinals - Sunday 1pm
9/12 @ Miami - Thursday Night (Confirmed)
9/23 Jacksonville - MNF
9/29 @Ravens - SNF
10/6 @ Houston - Sunday - 1pm
10/14 @ Jets - MNF
10/20 - Titans - Sunday 1pm
10/27 @ Seattle - Sunday - 4:25
11/3 Miami - Sunday - 1pm
11/10 @ Indy - Sunday - 1pm
11/17 Chiefs - Sunday - 4:25
11/24 BYE
12/1 - Niners - SNF
12/8 @ Rams - Sunday - 4:25
12/15 @ Lions - Sunday - 4:25
12/22 - Patriots - Sunday - 1pm
12/29 - Jets - Sunday - 1pm
1/5 - @ Patriots - Sunday - 1pm

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
That's gotta be one of the toughest schedules in the NFL, right? Ravens, Miami x2, Chiefs, SF, Lions, Jacksonville even the Jets will be tough with Rodgers back. Brutal.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
That's gotta be one of the toughest schedules in the NFL, right? Ravens, Miami x2, Chiefs, SF, Lions, Jacksonville even the Jets will be tough with Rodgers back. Brutal.
1st place teams are always going to have difficult schedules. If anything, our crossover divisions (AFC South and NFC West) aren't as bad as they could be.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
9/8 Cardinals - Sunday 1pm- W
9/12 @ Miami - Thursday Night (Confirmed)- L
9/23 Jacksonville - MNF- W
9/29 @Ravens - SNF- L
10/6 @ Houston - Sunday - 1pm- W
10/14 @ Jets - MNF- W
10/20 - Titans - Sunday 1pm- W
10/27 @ Seattle - Sunday - 4:25- W
11/3 Miami - Sunday - 1pm- W
11/10 @ Indy - Sunday - 1pm- W
11/17 Chiefs - Sunday - 4:25- L
11/24 BYE
12/1 - Niners - SNF- W
12/8 @ Rams - Sunday - 4:25- W
12/15 @ Lions - Sunday - 4:25- L
12/22 - Patriots - Sunday - 1pm- W
12/29 - Jets - Sunday - 1pm- W
1/5 - @ Patriots - Sunday - 1pm- W
If the schedule is true-I have them at 13-4. 5-1 in the division. We cruise to a division title this year. I think Allen's TO issue are going to be dramatically reduced due to Brady having a full offseason to prepare. Brady was the first OC we've had since Allen broke out that seemed to incorporate the running game well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Miami is our -insert emasculating word- until proven otherwise. The Jets will cave again. Saleh ain't it, and I'd bet the house that Rodgers will look old. I think we beat them twice this year because Brady will expose their weakness on defense like he did Dallas- the run D. Ravens, Chiefs, Lions, and 9ers are all 50/50 games.

Also, didn't we have one of the hardest schedules last year? SoS isn't as scary when you have Allen as your QB, and a team that has one of the highest regular season winning %s of the past 5 years. We're always going to have a ridiculous SoS because we're always a damn good football team even on our down years. Thanks Josh!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad