Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Pens will have more players to compete for center after Sid. Geno, Eller will be gone and Yager, Poulin, Ponomarev, maybe Broz at least give the Pens options in the system. Plus next two years draft also will offer centers as well. Pretty intrigued on Broz here. He has the size and awareness to be a center.
still need a no. one. imo

And he had 20 pounds on Yager.
that 20 lbs. is the key.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean none of us are in control of any of this lol... I think it's kinda funny that some people are practically having a conniption over the idea that Yager might project better as a like 30/30 all situations wing with a defensive conscience. The horror!

Yeah. It’s bizarre and frankly weird.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We’re so starved for prospects that perspectives and expectations tend to warp to the upside. But when coupled with the realistic fear that any serviceable prospect we get will be semi-buried behind proven useless tweener grinders, we’re hopelessly conflicted.

Most of the stuff I say about Sullivan and prospects is universal to the NHL.

Yager’s draft pedigree and abilities will overcome Sullivan’s biases if he is still here, plus he is a North American player.

We will likely be in a position where we need to play him over his head when it gets to the NHL given the age of the roster in a couple years tbh.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Acting like not having size is a bonus is also super weird. Players can succeed despite not being big, they don't succeed because they're small. This isn't combat sports, there are no weight classes.

Does that mean Yager's going to be penalized for being small or bust or whatever? No. But it's also why he fell to where he did.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Acting like not having size is a bonus is also super weird. Players can succeed despite not being big, they don't succeed because they're small. This isn't combat sports, there are no weight classes.

Does that mean Yager's going to be penalized for being small or bust or whatever? No. But it's also why he fell to where he did.

4 players played more than 40 games that weighted less than 170 pounds this season. But weight doesn't matter.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Sam Poulin weighs like 210lbs and he sucks ass.

Does this prove anything? No it’s just a post for me to say Sam Poulin sucks ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Beau Bennett burnt me so bad that I don’t hold out hope for any first round forward prospects anymore.

If they don’t make the NHL and do something at like 19 I just assume they are going to suck.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah remember when Sam Poulin was dominating the QMJHL and everyone thought he was a sure bet prospect and now he's played 6 NHL games.

Kinda funny how junior hockey stats typically don't mean shit.
As far as junior stats go you pretty much just hope a guy is improving year by year. When a prospect's production levels off in their D+1 or D+2 years that's a bit of a concern.

Beau Bennett burnt me so bad that I don’t hold out hope for any first round forward prospects anymore.

If they don’t make the NHL and do something at like 19 I just assume they are going to suck.
It took Jake 3 and 1/2 years to make the NHL and he's obviously the best prospect we've had since Letang/Staal.

So I mean, probably not gonna see Yager for a bit even if he does pan out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if Yager ends up being our Dylan Larkin. A guy who is pretty good but is like 28 or 29 by the time we're starting to make (or almost make) the playoffs again.

Certainly seems like we're following pretty much the same path Detroit did, except with hopefully better lottery luck than they had.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Bennett was such a terrible pick. Sure, he was dealt a pretty crummy hand with the injuries he faced. But his absolute ceiling was a third wheel on a third line. Valtteri f***ing Puustinen is already twice the player Bennett ever was.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And he had 20 pounds on Yager.
You've gone off the deep end here, I was being facetious but holy cow! lol

Yeah remember when Sam Poulin was dominating the QMJHL and everyone thought he was a sure bet prospect and now he's played 6 NHL games.

Kinda funny how junior hockey stats typically don't mean shit.
They matter, but honestly his numbers weren't all that. WHL typically is a much more difficult league to score. QMJHL IS more like firewagon hockey.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Good to see MJ get into the Mem Cup. Always hard to tell how the teams from each league stack up against each other. The WHL has only won once in the last 12 years or so, which doesn't bode well, but who knows. With the way London walked over Oshawa in the final, they seem like the team to beat.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Good to see MJ get into the Mem Cup. Always hard to tell how the teams from each league stack up against each other. The WHL has only won once in the last 12 years or so, which doesn't bode well, but who knows. With the way London walked over Oshawa in the final, they seem like the team to beat.

One MJ made it.

Another failed.

1715898005162.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
People comparing Yager to Konecny…Konecny was 5’10 and like 170 in his draft year…he played one season in juniors before making the Flyers roster at 19… forwards that will be good in the NHL like Konecny, Jarvis, Mercer etc will make the nhl club their second season for the most part…someone like Guentzel andRust are top six wingers who bucked the standard trend but more forwards are making it now earlier…I personally will have doubts about Yager if he can’t crack our top nine this season given who we have on this team lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
People comparing Yager to Konecny…Konecny was 5’10 and like 170 in his draft year…he played one season in juniors before making the Flyers roster at 19… forwards that will be good in the NHL like Konecny, Jarvis, Mercer etc will make the nhl club their second season for the most part…someone like Guentzel andRust are top six wingers who bucked the standard trend but more forwards are making it now earlier…I personally will have doubts about Yager if he can’t crack our top nine this season given who we have on this team lol

Not Yager's fault the coach is a dunce and hasn't run a serious training camp in like seven seasons.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah, it's funny that people are trying to say Yager is going to be a better player than Konecny.

Konecny is basically a top 20 RW winger in the game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, it's funny that people are trying to say Yager is going to be a better player than Konecny.

Konecny is basically a top 20 RW winger in the game.
Who knows at this point but if he’s anywhere close to the junior player Konecny was, he should make the Pens this season…I like this lineup..would be even better if we could somehow land Pinto lol

Ehlers/De Brusk - Sid-Rust
Bunting- Geno- Yager/Rakelll
DOC-Pono-Rakell/Yager
X - Eller- Puusty

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Who knows at this point but if he’s anywhere close to the junior player Konecny was, he should make the Pens this season…I like this lineup..would be even better if we could somehow land Pinto lol

Ehlers/De Brusk - Sid-Rust
Bunting- Geno- Yager/Rakelll
DOC-Pono-Rakell/Yager
X - Eller- Puusty
I don't know if I'd pencil in a 3L center who had 2 points in his last 18 AHL games. But I'm just stat watching; Since I haven't watched him play, I'm probably missing the nuance of Pono's game.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad