Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Pettersson's linemates aren't causing him to not move his feet and compete or try to make plays and attack defenders.

And he gets consistent PP1 minutes and is bad there and the Lotto Line gets put together pretty regularly and he's bad with them and they gave him Boeser and Hoglander as linemates for a stretch to end the season and he was bad with them too.

It's such a cop-out. JT Miller still looked fantastic playing with Phil Di Giuseppe.
Its because Miller is an elite F1 and he brings the forechecking element crucial to Tocchets system, to every line he plays on.

I still maintain he is playing injured.

Something is limiting torque from his hips. He cant shoot the way he shoots, he cant change direction the way he does normally.

I wont dispute that there is a mental component to his lack of production too.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Its because Miller is an elite F1 and he brings the forechecking element crucial to Tocchets system, to every line he plays on.

I still maintain he is playing injured.

Something is limiting torque from his hips. He cant shoot the way he shoots, he cant change direction the way he does normally.

I wont dispute that there is a mental component to his lack of production too.
its probbaly a hip flexor just guessing that limits his shooting and turning. wait till playoffs are over then 90 percent of us will be right hes playing hurt all along

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
The bad linemates argument doesn't explain how he's blowing defensive coverage, has zero hustle, not engaged at all and the poor body language.

Like man, show some emotion. Show some fight. There's nothing right now with this player and it's tough to watch

Reactions: MS and Nomobo

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
If you get paid that much you should be able to generate offense despite ur linemates because you have to be able to carry a line. He can barely hold onto the puck and look dangerous out there alone unlike other Allstar players

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Pettersson's linemates aren't causing him to not move his feet and compete or try to make plays and attack defenders.

And he gets consistent PP1 minutes and is bad there and the Lotto Line gets put together pretty regularly and he's bad with them and they gave him Boeser and Hoglander as linemates for a stretch to end the season and he was bad with them too.

It's such a cop-out. JT Miller still looked fantastic playing with Phil Di Giuseppe.
Looking at it objectively I have to agree, and I'm one of the ones who's been clamoring for Tocchet to try putting the lotto line together for regular shifts instead of just sporadically here and there.

The fact is Pettersson has had shifts with Miller and Boeser 5-on-5, and he's out with them on every power play, and he's consistently the weak link. Watch how often the play dies on his stick, and how as soon as he's pressured he either loses the puck or just throws it down the boards to nobody.

There's been a consistent pattern in his play and it's the same regardless of who he's playing with. He has good shifts where he skates and moves the puck with a purpose, and gets involved physically. But for every one of those there are probably 3 or 4 bad ones where he just looks lost or disinterested.

He also has shifts where he starts off skating with the puck and attacking, but it's like as soon as he gets checked or the play doesn't work out, he just shuts down and disengages. There's no chance of recovering the puck or salvaging a broken play because he's already given up.

It happens in the D zone too. He's battling along the wall or trying to make a play to move the puck out, but if it doesn't work initially there's no second effort. He just stops trying.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The thing is there is no world where the Canucks can win the cup without Petey. He's untradeable at least for now. So you're stuck with him and hope he figures it out. The team doesn't have the cap to make drastic roster moves.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Looking at it objectively I have to agree, and I'm one of the ones who's been clamoring for Tocchet to try putting the lotto line together for regular shifts instead of just sporadically here and there.

The fact is Pettersson has had shifts with Miller and Boeser 5-on-5, and he's out with them on every power play, and he's consistently the weak link. Watch how often the play dies on his stick, and how as soon as he's pressured he either loses the puck or just throws it down the boards to nobody.

There's been a consistent pattern in his play and it's the same regardless of who he's playing with. He has good shifts where he skates and moves the puck with a purpose, and gets involved physically. But for every one of those there are probably 3 or 4 bad ones where he just looks lost or disinterested.

He also has shifts where he starts off skating with the puck and attacking, but it's like as soon as he gets checked or the play doesn't work out, he just shuts down and disengages. There's no chance of recovering the puck or salvaging a broken play because he's already given up.

It happens in the D zone too. He's battling along the wall or trying to make a play to move the puck out, but if it doesn't work initially there's no second effort. He just stops trying.
Real, how many times have you seen pettersson receive a pass at the neutral zone only to not generate enough speed and get pressured from the back. He either loses the puck or forces a pass and is invisible again

Reactions: Nomobo and Jay26

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What baffles at times is how unstable Pettersson is on his skates. It seems to take only mild contact in the offensive zone to topple him over. And you can't make plays swimming on the ice.

I'm the sure the Canucks and Pettersson watch film. Why is he losing so many puck battles and can't seem to stay on his skates?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If I’m management, I have a very sour taste in my mouth after signing Pettersson to this contract. To have only this level of compete in the playoffs should be setting off alarm bells.

Pettersson’s NMC/NTC doesn’t begin until 2025-26. That looms large. He may get dealt the way that PK Subban was before his trade clause kicked-in.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I guess the fatal mistake they made was pushing for the Petey extension before the off season. I would much rather that money go towards Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov. I can't see how they can keep more than one of them now.

As far as Hronek for over 5.5......

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
just re-watched Tochett’s post game interview, and it would be shocking to me if Petey had any significant injury given how hard on him Tochett was. Can’t imagine he’d basically call Petey a passenger that didn’t know the playoffs were on, and that he needed to get going, if he was injured.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Some players simply lack the mental fortitude when things get tough. Take a look at this former Canuck...

Regular season 237 pts in 233 games
Playoffs 14 pts in 24 games

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Man I just can't believe at this point there are still people making excuses for him...:facepalm:

Even if it was revealed he had some injury, etc, this level of performance given what he is paid with is still completely unacceptable.

I feel like these same people are the ones screaming to trade Brock Boeser at the start of the year and attacked other posters when they disagreed with them.

Anyhow, last hope that Tocchet's callout will have some effect on improving his performance.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The bad linemates argument doesn't explain how he's blowing defensive coverage, has zero hustle, not engaged at all and the poor body language.

Like man, show some emotion. Show some fight. There's nothing right now with this player and it's tough to watch
He wont.

Just like Lindholm isnt showing emotion while laying people with big hits.

Man I just can't believe at this point there are still people are still making excuses for him...:facepalm:

Even if it was revealed he had some injury, etc, this level of performance given what he is paid with is still completely unacceptable.

I feel like these same people are the ones screaming to trade Brock Boeser at the start of the year and attacked other posters when they disagreed with them.
Okay.

Youve now unaccepted EPs performance. Whats next?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I’ve been a Petey apologist, search my posts in this thread. But I’m not buying this anymore. Elite players still show more than he has, even if paired with shoddy linemates. He’s been given ice time on the lotto line and looks shaky there too, ditto with the powerplay.

Nobody is denying Pettersson's been poor throughout the playoffs. There's no point mincing words about that. All we can do at this point is try to find some combination to get him going. Sticking him with Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lafferty and Karlsson simply isn't going to do.

Put him with Lindholm or Miller and if he's still struggling to do anything, then we can at least we tried something.

It isn't about making excuses, it's simply acknowledging what options we have. Should Petey be better? Absolutely. Trying the same damn thing and hoping he suddenly gets it doesn't accomplish that.

Undo the signing and trade him for Necas +.

And if Carolina says no? His performance in the playoffs very likely tanked some of his value.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
If I’m management, I have a very sour taste in my mouth after signing Pettersson to this contract. To have only this level of compete in the playoffs should be setting off alarm bells.

Pettersson’s NMC/NTC doesn’t begin until 2025-26. That looms large. He may get dealt the way that PK Subban was before his trade clause kicked-in.

I would think if we lose this series and he doesn't have a big final three games, they will look at shopping him. JR wasn't afraid to deal him before the contract was signed. The man is ruthless.

It would be a heartbreaking end to a tenure that has largely seen the greatest home grown forward talent since Bure dominate on both ends of the ice. But much like the core in Toronto, when you play in a big Canadian market, you only have so much runway. Eventually, the pitchforks come out.

If dealing him is in the best interest of the team, and they can get decent value for him, it should be considered. Pettersson strikes me as a player that would thrive in a passive Eastern market that plays more of a run and gun style. No surprise that he and Kuzmenko both played their best hockey under Boudreau.

Reactions: Flik

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Mikheyev is completely useless. He's the anchor on Pettersson's line. If we swapped EP with Miller on lines, we’d be talking about Miller struggling. That line needs a complete makeover with Mikheyev in the pressbox.

Reactions: David71

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Mikheyev is completely useless. He's the anchor on Pettersson's line. If we swapped EP with Miller on lines, we’d be talking about Miller struggling. That line needs a complete makeover with Mikheyev in the pressbox.
My counter-argument to “it’s his linemates!” is the powerplay. He is playing with Hughes, Miller, Boeser, and Lindholm. He has been a non-factor playing with that elite talent for months now.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
My counter-argument to “it’s his linemates!” is the powerplay. He is playing with Hughes, Miller, Boeser, and Lindholm. He has been a non-factor playing with that elite talent for months now.

To be fair, our powerplay as a whole has been a complete mess. Pettersson contributes to that but often times even Miller and Boeser look off. They've all looked better of late but it's not exactly been a stellar powerplay from anyone.

Regardless, what else are we supposed to do? Okay, Pettersson sucks. He's been completely and totally useless the whole playoffs. Now what? If we yell at him enough he'll figure it out? The whole point of "it's his linemate" is trying something, literally anything, that isn't sticking him with garbage in the hopes he finally gets going.

Like I said above, at least then we can rule it out. We roll the Lotto line or move Pettersson to Lindholm's wing and he still looks the same. Well, at least we can say we tried. As it stands, Tocchet has done jack shit and is seemingly out of ideas.

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad