News: Pagnotta: Flames in trade talks to move G Dan Vladar

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He is 27-12-7 in his Calgary time. That is a 108 point pace.. You don't think he'd get claimed with some of the trash playing regularly? OK

Martin Jones was 27-13-3 last year in Seattle. That's a 109 point pace, despite being one of the worst goalies in the NHL, which is why he cleared waivers this season.

And Vladar put up comparably bad individual numbers last season, costs more than twice as much against the cap, and has an extra year on his contract.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Is anyone going to reply as in what they want from San Jose?

Flames fans, I’m participating in the thread and have been ignored

Not a Flames fan, but any chance you can explain why you think San Jose would want him in the first place? He certainly doesn't appear to be any better than Kahkonen or Blackwood.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a Flames fan, but any chance you can explain why you think San Jose would want him in the first place? He certainly doesn't appear to be any better than Kahkonen or Blackwood.
I'm not an over teh top Vladar fan like many Flames fans, but he's an average to above average backup and like Markstrom, his numbers last year were not as bad as they appear, the team gave up far too many high quality scoring chances and I've never seen a team have so many pucks bounce off their own guys and in the net (It was downright f***ing bizarre). He's also on the younger side, so potential is still a thing, and people try and mock his contract, but clearly they haven't been noticing what younger backups have been getting for contracts the past couple offseasons. His might be slightly high, but it's far from egregious.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is anyone going to reply as in what they want from San Jose?

Flames fans, I’m participating in the thread and have been ignored
I honestly don't care much about the return. I just want to be able to call Wolf up and give Vladar a chance elsewhere.

He isn't that much of a difference maker between a LOT of guys and his contract situation is way worse.
Look at other youngish backups signing in the last 18-months, they're all getting 1.5m+, he might be slightly overpaid, but not nearly by as much as you seem to think.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think a few teams will be interested. LA and Tampa to start. Imagine it would be in a larger trade than just him. He was good in the preseason.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Martin Jones was 27-13-3 last year in Seattle. That's a 109 point pace, despite being one of the worst goalies in the NHL, which is why he cleared waivers this season.

And Vladar put up comparably bad individual numbers last season, costs more than twice as much against the cap, and has an extra year on his contract.

Comparably bad? No, he has easily outperformed Jones the past two seasons, not to mention he is 7 years younger.

Hockeydb experts will just look at his SV% from last year to make a quick evaluation of the player but won't acknowledge that is was nothing more than a reflection of the system in place in Calgary. Vladar easily outplayed Markstrom in the same system who was coming off a Vezina finalist season. He's a good goaltender who has proven he can consistently win hockey games at the NHL level.

Could the Flames not just waive Vladar and call up Wolf if they really wanted Wolf in the NHL?

Sure, but they value him as a hockey player.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The more I see his name, the more I feel like the Kings are after him. Not sure what they'd give up, but his age goalie is completely missing in our org between age 31 and 23.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I think a few teams will be interested. LA and Tampa to start. Imagine it would be in a larger trade than just him. He was good in the preseason.
I do not believe Kings will give for Vladar anything else, but Copley and 4th round pick.
Their salary cap space is very limited and Vladar’s .900 save percentage do not make him valuable commodity.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Comparably bad? No, he has easily outperformed Jones the past two seasons, not to mention he is 7 years younger.

Hockeydb experts will just look at his SV% from last year to make a quick evaluation of the player but won't acknowledge that is was nothing more than a reflection of the system in place in Calgary. Vladar easily outplayed Markstrom in the same system who was coming off a Vezina finalist season. He's a good goaltender who has proven he can consistently win hockey games at the NHL level.

I love how you say Vladar has outplayed Jones and Markstrom, as if this is impressive or something.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think Calgary is maybe just trying to find a trade instead of losing him for free to waivers. If they don’t find a trade, maybe they do just waive him and see if another team picks him up.

But definitely with Markstrom being 33 the smart move is to start giving Wolf some NHL experience…

Ledge And Dairy

Pretty much it. They new in the offseason they needed to make room for Wolf so why didn't anything happen then? This does seem like somebody taking an obvious piece of information and trying to generate some looks.
lack of a market, until teams start playing it's hard to actually tell if you have goalie issues anywhere or not. Unfortunately Vladar hasn't played yet this season but he is a perfectly fine goalie, not overpaid by any means. Just his cap hit is hard to fit with so many teams tight against the cap

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad