OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
We didn't free up any cash though - all the savings from guys like Miller and Marp are going to Arenado - Colorado paid for his contract last year, we're on the hook for it this year.

That said, I think we should go after Story or Correa pretty hard.
Cards current payroll is 145M with the off-season signings and we ended last year at 170M. Savings from KK, CMart, Marp, Miller and others is way more than Nolan’s contract and the other smaller signings we’ve made. Even if we don’t increase payroll at all there’s money to be spent. If we start the year with this current roster then it’s very clear that mediocrity is acceptable because there are several options to address areas of need readily available and so far the Cards have chosen not to address them. As Katie Woo(who is great at her job, but this one quite annoyed the hell out of me) put it, the Cards “chose to allocate their resources conservatively.” I’m not one that shits on Dewitt or calls him cheap, but the door to win the division is WIDE open and you have several aging stars looking to compete. Now is not the time to “allocate resources conservatively.”

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Lovely seeing Schumaker in a Cards jersey again.
He was always one of my favorites and I expect him to be a manager some day.

On a different note, Cards are already talking about giving Woodford, Oviedo etc. starts in light of the Flaherty injury. This is starting to really piss me off. We’ve seen what these guys are. They aren’t MLB quality starters, but there are plenty available through free agency and trade. How can the organization watch last year’s team barely make the playoffs off the back of a franchise record win streak and then do absolutely nothing to address the pitching depth?! How?! I wish Army was running the Cards.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He was always one of my favorites and I expect him to be a manager some day.

On a different note, Cards are already talking about giving Woodford, Oviedo etc. starts in light of the Flaherty injury. This is starting to really piss me off. We’ve seen what these guys are. They aren’t MLB quality starters, but there are plenty available through free agency and trade. How can the organization watch last year’s team barely make the playoffs off the back of a franchise record win streak and then do absolutely nothing to address the pitching depth?! How?! I wish Army was running the Cards.
I think Woodford still can be good. Oviedo tho... ugh. It's rather them just call up Liberatore or Thompson. I'm starting to think they should trade Flaherty already also. I like them signing Matz tho.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Man it's tough to watch literally the best year in free agency in probably forever go by and the best we got was Steven Matz. I think Matz is a decent player, but my god are we really going to trot out Edmundo Sosa and Paul Dejong over Trevor Story or Carlos Correa? I guess the one silver lining is that the Brewers didn't really do much either.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Man it's tough to watch literally the best year in free agency in probably forever go by and the best we got was Steven Matz. I think Matz is a decent player, but my god are we really going to trot out Edmundo Sosa and Paul Dejong over Trevor Story or Carlos Correa? I guess the one silver lining is that the Brewers didn't really do much either.
The stadium will be full no matter what they do so why spend the extra money? That’s how they look at it

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
another season. another cheap FO does nothing to improve the team. Cash, rinse, repeat. I wish I could say that I'm shocked. And before all of DeWitt's relatives come in here to start flaming about bad contracts-according to fans every contract is a bad contract that isn't an absurd steal. Have you seen the market these days? You have to pay to play especially when multiple teams are in on one player. People aren't taking discounts to play in front of the BFIB anymore. Those days are over. This FO is garbage and I'm not watching this 85 win trash.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Watch DeJong hit 30 homers with around a .280 batting average this season while playing fantastic defense
He's capable. Is Sosa really that bad? I really don't keep up with the Cards any longer. This is where I get "news" and sometimes I'll look at STLToday Cardinals.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's capable. Is Sosa really that bad? I really don't keep up with the Cards any longer. This is where I get "news" and sometimes I'll look at STLToday Cardinals.
No Sosa really isn’t that bad. But he’s not a starting shortstop either. He’s a good bench guy, but that’s also essentially what Dejong has become too.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm cool giving Dejong a bit to prove he's able to return to what he was. He had a rib injury, and we've seen how rib injuries can effect players. Just look at how Schenn was before during, and after his broken ribs.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Dejong is like a career .240 hitter at this point. He's been in the majors for five seasons and he's regressed since his rookie season. He's a guy who put up a 86 OPS+ last year and is a career 101 OPS+. He plays solid D but his range is garbage. He's decent, don't get me wrong. But we could have had Story or Correa, who are light years ahead of him. The Flaherty/Reyes news is just icing on the cake with this org.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Dejong is like a career .240 hitter at this point. He's been in the majors for five seasons and he's regressed since his rookie season. He's a guy who put up a 86 OPS+ last year and is a career 101 OPS+. He plays solid D but his range is garbage. He's decent, don't get me wrong. But we could have had Story or Correa, who are light years ahead of him. The Flaherty/Reyes news is just icing on the cake with this org.
Taking out last year where he was injured, he's closer to a .250 hitter. His ribs took away his swing last year. He had 6 less HRs than Story in 170 less at bats as well.

And again, I see no chance of the Cards signing that cheater Correa.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I got it man, you don't like Correa. He's still an MVP caliber player and the Cards would be dumb not to look at him. He's off the market now anyway, but jeeze, you don't need to post it every time someone brings it up.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I got it man, you don't like Correa. He's still an MVP caliber player and the Cards would be dumb not to look at him. He's off the market now anyway, but jeeze, you don't need to post it every time someone brings it up.
It's not that I don't like him. I just don't see him as a "Cardinals type target"

Tho I 100% believe the Cards should have been more in on Story. At least added opt outs on later years to try to get him. And I have wanted him since last trade deadline.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Cards really need to make some trades for Pitchers. I don't see how they can go into the season with Oviedo as a possible starter. At least use the kids like Liberatore.

Also, Walker is a unit. Omfg.

Reactions: Spear

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
After spending 16 hours a day in the offseason to help the MLBPA work on a now CBA and to help younger players get the money they deserve, MLB Pitcher Andrew Miller has announced his retirement from MLB.

Thanks for the past Three Years Miller. Have a great retirement.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad