Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I have high hopes for Kapanen. Think he can be a gritty Plekanec, although maybe not the 70 point seasons.

Has a good solid game already, can shoot the puck & is a good skater.

Reactions: bopeep and Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm always happy to see us draft a Finn - always hard-nosed players, and here is one with great bloodlines and what looks like a sick wrist shot.

I feel like they drafted a few guys who can rip the puck. I don't know enough about their overall game, but I see Kapanen, Kostenko, and Trudeau being able to fire the puck. They also got Gordin last year, who if the kid has one quality, it's his wicked shot.

Reactions: bopeep and Habs13

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Sounds a lot like Lehkonen. A solid two-way player that plays the game at a higher tempo and has heart, but questionable offensive potential in terms of what he’ll do at the pro level.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I feel like they drafted a few guys who can rip the puck. I don't know enough about their overall game, but I see Kapanen, Kostenko, and Trudeau being able to fire the puck. They also got Gordin last year, who if the kid has one quality, it's his wicked shot.

Yeah, that's a valid point - watching videos of these guys (minus that one guy who we aren't allowed to rip on anymore) and that was the one common denominator, is the shooting prowess. I guess MB finally sees that goal scoring is missing on our team and that you need to score to win.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds a lot like Lehkonen. A solid two-way player that plays the game at a higher tempo and has heart, but questionable offensive potential in terms of what he’ll do at the pro level.

I feel like most Timmins forwards have questionable offensive potential. It goes back to Chipchura, as ll the way through D ere la Rose, etc... but I like that Kidney, Simoneau, and Roy have offense.

But one two way forward in a draft I'm ok with.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I feel like most Timmins forwards have questionable offensive potential. It goes back to Chipchura, as ll the way through D ere la Rose, etc... but I like that Kidney, Simoneau, and Roy have offense.

But one two way forward in a draft I'm ok with.
I can't stand Timmins' philosophy and the club's general obsession with two way play over offensive upside but a potential center version of Lehkonen would be a coup at this point in the draft.

Reactions: habsfan92 and Wats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I can't stand Timmins' philosophy and the club's general obsession with two way play over offensive upside but a potential center version of Lehkonen would be a coup at this point in the draft.

From the highlights, his skating reminds me a bit of Galchenyuk. So, I'm not sure he's a Lehkonen, who's a really good skater.

But he seems to see the ice well in the highlights and have a nose for creating his own shot and getting in good position to finish.

Hope to see him in scrimmages at development camp.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Was hoping for Sasha Pastujov but we'll see. Hopefully he takes his game to another level this year, he has the bloodlines.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How to compare him with Jacob Oloffson?

Don't think there's a comparable.. Olofsson is a natural, rangy center who is a playmaker first.. has a bunch of practice skills that he doesn't show in the game all that often (which is why he dropped and continues to be inconsistent in his development and play).

Kapanen is more like Lehkonen than anything.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Don't think there's a comparable.. Olofsson is a natural, rangy center who is a playmaker first.. has a bunch of practice skills that he doesn't show in the game all that often (which is why he dropped and continues to be inconsistent in his development and play).

Kapanen is more like Lehkonen than anything.

It's more encouraging if he is more like Lehkonen. So maybe a futur 15-15, 30 points type of player. 3C potential. That's not bad.

Evans/Poehling/Kapanen... great two-way ability, Habs have a strong futur at C.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Timmins says they expect him to play 2 years in Finland, taken from his interview with Grant

What do you figure the timeline will be on Kapanen to come over, a couple of years? Do you know what his contract status is?

TT: It doesn’t matter because we have an IIHF agreement so it doesn’t matter. But I think he’ll be in Finland at least two years.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's more encouraging if he is more like Lehkonen. So maybe a futur 15-15, 30 points type of player. 3C potential. That's not bad.

Evans/Poehling/Kapanen... great two-way ability, Habs have a strong futur at C.

Poehling has a lot to prove to me before I consider him a C at the NHL level.

But a great prospect even if he can only play wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad