Proposal: (NYR/TOR/Utah) Marner Liljegren, Trouba Kakko

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Deal done on/after July 1st
(for Trouba NTC/NMC purposes and Marner signing bonus purposes)

to New York Rangers
Mitch Marner (50% retain by Utah) [ 1y @ $5.4515m ]
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
( Rangers receive approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Kaapo Kakko [ RFA ]
Jacob Trouba [ 2y @ $8.0m ]
( Toronto receives approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )
( Utah may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to TOR maybe ? )

to Utah Raptors
2025 NYR 1st Round Pick
( Utah adds $5.4515m in cap, but only $0.3875m actual dollars )
( NYR may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to Utah maybe ? )

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I doubt Utah will be using cap space to acquire futures... Would shock me if they aren't aggressive in leveraging their massive cap space, draft capital & strong prospect pool to be adding roster talent
Don't they have like 40 to 45 million dollars in cap space though, and a roster full of young guys that either require waivers to go down or are too good to go down?

Keller - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - [ Hayton ] - Schmaltz
Crouse - Bjugstad - Doan
Carcone - McBain - Kerfoot
[ Jenik ] - [ N Smith ]

[ Moser ] - [ Durzi ]
[ Valimaki ] - [ Kesselring ]
[ Kolyachonok ] - [ Soderstrom ]
7th D UFA

Ingram
Vejmelka

They could waive maybe waive 3 forwards max there and send Doan down. And sign / trade for a good D instead of signing a 7th D for cheap. So that's room for adding 2/3/4 forwards and 1 defenseman maximum, unless you start waiving guys who have value and are young (stupid asset management) or trade young guys to other teams for picks/prospects.

Again, we're talking about 40 to 45 million dollars in cap space. Sign Brady Skjei, Elias Lindholm and Teuvo Teravainen on July 1st, and you probably STILL have the cap space to add a 1st rounder here for one year of salary retention.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't see the Rangers doing this. They aren't going to want to give Marner the contract he'll be looking for in 2025. Not while Panarin is still making 11.6 mil. Plus, the Rangers have plenty of prospects on the wing. We need centers and dmen.

On top of that, I doubt Trouba will waive for Toronto, and I don't think Utah will be looking to trade cap space for futures. They are going to look to compete in their new home.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Don't they have like 40 to 45 million dollars in cap space though, and a roster full of young guys that either require waivers to go down or are too good to go down?

Keller - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - [ Hayton ] - Schmaltz
Crouse - Bjugstad - Doan
Carcone - McBain - Kerfoot
[ Jenik ] - [ N Smith ]

[ Moser ] - [ Durzi ]
[ Valimaki ] - [ Kesselring ]
[ Kolyachonok ] - [ Soderstrom ]
7th D UFA

Ingram
Vejmelka

They could waive maybe waive 3 forwards max there and send Doan down. And sign / trade for a good D instead of signing a 7th D for cheap. So that's room for adding 2/3/4 forwards and 1 defenseman maximum, unless you start waiving guys who have value and are young (stupid asset management) or trade young guys to other teams for picks/prospects.

Again, we're talking about 40 to 45 million dollars in cap space. Sign Brady Skjei, Elias Lindholm and Teuvo Teravainen on July 1st, and you probably STILL have the cap space to add a 1st rounder here for one year of salary retention.
Many ways they could approach it...

I think they'll be aggressive on both the trade & UFA front to upgrade the current roster, rather than add futures.

The waiver eligible assets can be trade chips as well, rather than being exposed.

They are in a unique situation that is about as good as it gets... Tons of cap space, no bad contracts (Weber's LTIR for 2 more years is a minor inconvenience for summer cap flexibility), tons of draft capital and a prospect pool with both elite potential and quality depth.

Well managed, they could open up a big cup contending window as soon as next year (provided they can snag a minute munching top pairing dman).

Reactions: G Backup and Mosby

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don't get why Toronto does this.
Leafs need:

- good locker room guys with experience (Trouba is a veteran captain)
- top pairing or top 4 right handed defenseman
- top pairing or top 4 D who can penalty kill
- top 4 defenseman that is physical
- top 4 right handed D that can play powerplay, even just for PP2 is okay
- cap space

Leafs have a surplus of:
- top 6 RW offensive talent (Marner and Nylander is probably the strongest 1st line 2nd line right wing in the league)

Assuming Kakko can become an average 2nd liner, this checks literally all of those boxes

Reactions: kevsh and G Backup

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Leaf needs top 2 defense.
I mean when you have Mccabe in your top 4 , your not winning a playoff game

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Arizona/Utah stated a year ago they are no longer in the cap eating business.
Agree, especially with new ownership. Although for 1 year of Marner, I'd do this assuming you can make it work without impacting their off-season plans. I think Utah is going to spend a ton of money but if they had a few million in cap after that it's basically a free first. Wouldnt take on an additional cap dump though. That 1st could be used at the deadline if they are in the playoff hunt

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I’m very much not a Marner fan but holy crap that’s a horrible return. They get a struggling young player and a cap dump for a top line winger and a RHD that probably should be on their second pair.

NMC, UFA in the summer of 2025, $11M contract. His value is far lower than his talent would indicate. It's not just about his play in the playoffs.

Reactions: GCK and bernmeister

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
great then Leafs should hold him. Trouba is a borderline cap dump and Kakko is nothing special.

I believe they'll do just that. Fire the coach and see if that can give him the boost he needs. But it'd be a good idea to trade him for futures if they can. They have no picks in the '25 draft until the 5th round... They're hollowing out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Seems incredible for Toronto.

Only on HF boards would anyone think Trouba is a cap dump. In the real NHL where contact is important he's a force.
Only in a market where Rempe is considered an NHL player would Trouba not be considered a cap dump.

I believe they'll do just that. Fire the coach and see if that can give him the boost he needs. But it'd be a good idea to trade him for futures if they can. They have no picks in the '25 draft until the 5th round... They're hollowing out.
Personally I think they should be calling up Calgary who also needs a big change and trying to do something around Marner for Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad