Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Are the Leafs a better team if they swap Marner for Saros plus 6M in cap space next season? If he lives up to the hype yes for sure, they'd have a top 7 goalie in the league and cap space to re-sign guys who worked well here like Domi.

If they got Saros plus more it would be a steal. Issue is, Saros is going to be 30 starting the first year of his extension. He will likely want term and want 7+. You have Woll on a cheap deal maing 776k next year. His stats are unreal and even better in the playoffs. If he can stay healthy and keep playing like that, how can you afford both? I guess it's a good problem to have.

Anyways, Marner has gotten underrated on here like Kessel was before he was dealt. Nashville is getting an absolute superstar not some scurb. He will make Forsberg look like a 2nd liner. He absolutely makes them better and easily will have his 90+ points being solid on both ends of the ice.

Marner is a damn elite player just not working here

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
For me If I'm the Leafs I need L'Heuereux in that trade so maybe swap him with tomasino.
L'Heuereux plays exactly the type of game Trotz and Bruno want to build their team around. I won't say it's a non-starter, but I just don't see Trotz considering it.

Are the Leafs a better team if they swap Marner for Saros plus 6M in cap space next season? If he lives up to the hype yes for sure, they'd have a top 7 goalie in the league and cap space to re-sign guys who worked well here like Domi.

If they got Saros plus more it would be a steal. Issue is, Saros is going to be 30 starting the first year of his extension. He will likely want term and want 7+. You have Woll on a cheap deal maing 776k next year. His stats are unreal and even better in the playoffs. If he can stay healthy and keep playing like that, how can you afford both? I guess it's a good problem to have.

Anyways, Marner has gotten underrated on here like Kessel was before he was dealt. Nashville is getting an absolute superstar not some scurb. He will make Forsberg look like a 2nd liner. He absolutely makes them better and easily will have his 90+ points being solid on both ends of the ice.

Marner is a damn elite player just not working here
Forsberg put up 48-46-94 playing with ROR and Gus Nyquist. Pass with this nonsense.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Forsberg put up 48-46-94 playing with ROR and Gus Nyquist. Pass with this nonsense.

Wait until you see what Marner can do. Why did the Leafs commit so much money and refuse to move their players? Because they are all franchise level players. If Marner was even average in the playoffs the narrative is not even what it is. He's an outstanding player

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I understand not wanting a goaltender back and agree they're a dice roll in the playoffs. But how can you have any more faith that Marner shows up in the playoffs? He's not even a roll of the dice. He's a known turd.
Maybe I'm naive or just plain stupid I just feel like you can't keep a 100 point player down forever.

I'd rather take my chances with a player of his talent who can clearly produce at the NHL level in the RS at least and give him more kicks at the can than to sell low on him for a player whose upside or ceiling is far below. People are talking about things like Marner for Adam Larsson or Seth Jones lol like no thanks, I'll take my chances on Mitch in that case.

Problem is we still do need a revamped and much improved back end. That's why my conditional for giving Marner another chance is finding some miracle and offloading Tavares.

If we free up JT's 11 million for D then I'm comfortable taking the chance Marner finally gets his shit together in the playoffs since with a good D corps we should be fine even if he's invisible Mitch again if the rest of the forwards show up.

With JT and Marner combined taking up 22 million in cap however we have no D and therefore no margin whatsoever for either of those two to be anything less than spectacular much less plain awful.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Considering the organization moved up in the draft to get L'Heureux and he is progressing beautifully, I doubt he would get moved at all. He fits the way Nashville wants to play like a glove too.
Yeah, you don't really have untouchables in a deal for Marner, but damn ZLH would hurt after watching how he exploded in Milwaukee this year. He's still a kid (turned 21 yesterday) and carrying the team in the AHL playoffs. He's a wrecking ball with scoring touch. I know we are talking about Marner, so again not untouchable, but damn it would suck to see L'Heureux moved before we even watch him in Nashville. I assume there is a long list of players we try to offer before we get to his name.

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, you don't really have untouchables in a deal for Marner, but damn ZLH would hurt after watching how he exploded in Milwaukee this year. He's still a kid (turned 21 yesterday) and carrying the team in the AHL playoffs. He's a wrecking ball with scoring touch. I know we are talking about Marner, so again not untouchable, but damn it would suck to see L'Heureux moved before we even watch him in Nashville. I assume there is a long list of players we try to offer before we get to his name.
I think theyd probably trade kemell before L'Hereux. ZLH is just built for the way this team wants to play hockey

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think theyd probably trade kemell before L'Hereux. ZLH is just built for the way this team wants to play hockey
I wouldn't be surprised by that notion. ZLH was the 4th highest scoring 03 player in the AHL this year and currently 2nd leading playoff scorer, but played 1 less game than the leader. I am hesitant to move him before we know what we can be. It took him a couple years to get his head out of his ass, but if he can keep things all hockey then his ceiling might be much higher than expected in his draft year.

Reactions: Armourboy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Firstov, he makes only 9.5M.
Secondly, the first cup came with a 3.5M cap hit.
Firstov is not a word if you'd like to be technical. There are plenty examples of great, highly paid goalies winning cups or going to the finals. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Fleury, Bob, Quick, ect.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Firstov is not a word if you'd like to be technical. There are plenty examples of great, highly paid goalies winning cups or going to the finals. Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Fleury, Bob, Quick, ect.

Bob’s the only one paid like an elite forward in the cap era other than Vasi’s second cup where they had a 9.5mil LTIR boost to cancel out his raise and then some. There’s a lot more cap era examples of no name goalies making no name money going to the finals than there are of top of the pay scale guys.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
As a Leaf fan I have been thinking and the return will not be nearly as good as many want. I think its cap space is the main motivator. So maybe the returning team gives up a 4th dman or much lesser winger.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Either Saros and a small add like Schaefer or one of Molendyk/L'Hereux. Toronto's not getting all three.
I just wouldn't even consider ZLH or Molendyk. Schaefer is fine and another small add or we can consider Tomasino and/or Fabbro but this is way more of a "would be nice to have" than "I'm willing to gut our future for this" type of deal.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's The 4th Period ... even if you believe Pagnotta has sources.. it's their job to create rumors.

Nashville has not shown interest in Marner... Teams and GM's just bounced from playoffs are still in the evaluating phase.

There is a reason you don't hear real insiders coming out with these type of rumors at this time of year because these discussions are not taking place yet.

The 4th Period has to have rumors going at all times in order to make money.
Friedman on Kyper and Bourne a week ago said the following:
- Marner wants 11.5-12 x 8
- 20+ teams will be willing to pay that if he hits UFA
- Teams have already begun calling about Marner

I'm inclined to believe Friedman regarding the point of teams calling. It doesn't have to mean there are advanced discussions, it's teams checking in to see what's going on as they are potentially interested

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good for marner

Matthews is holding him back

He needs to free himself from Toronto and show his final form

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad